Wine from Cherry Juice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamesdel

Reaction score
Ok I saw a thread on here and no one had a answer soooooo. Today while I was at the store I found some black cherry juice and it is now in a gallon jug :fro: Here is what I used just looking for some kind of insight as to what you may think I can expect .

1/2 gallon of R.W Knudsen Just black Cherry juice
2 Lbs sugar
1 tsp pectic enzyme
1 tsp yeast nutrient
1 tsp yeast energizer
1 tsp acid blend 1 campden tablet crushed
i heated the water and dissolved the sugar in it filled it up to 1 gallon waited an hour and added red star cotes des blancs yeast
SG of 1.124

thanks for taking the time

Your SG doesn't seem right at all. Mix it up better and check it again. If you didn't add sugar, there is no way that OG is correct. Or, you did add sugar? If so, that OG is HIGH. You're making cherry cough syrup rocket fuel there!

Also, waiting an hour after mixing up the must and adding the campden isn't really sufficient. More like 24 hours is customary. If you don't have fermentation starting by about tomorrow, buy some more yeast and add it.

Normally, you don't add pectic enzyme, campden, and yeast together. The campden is used to sanitize the must (probably not needed with bottled juice), and the pectic enzyme is never added with campden because campden renders the pectic enzyme ineffective. Campden can also stun or slow the yeast, although wine yeast is fairly tolerant of sulfites. Normally, you mix up the must, then add the pectic enzyme 12 hours later, and then the yeast 12 hours after that.

It should be ok, though, since you don't really need pectic enzyme in that recipe anyway. Just add more yeast if you've killed this first batch of yeast.

Thanks thats the kind of input I was looking for :) as you can tell I am just starting so lots of stuff I probably missed . Heck I dont think it can kill me , and I seem to retain stuff better after some mistakes !!! which Im pretty good at :) will let ya know . And again thanks for the input !
Jim

okay so did you get that og with or without sugar, im guessing with????

I made a 1/2 gallon batch using the Knusden cherry juice. It came out ok. I also tried it using the cranberry. That was my favorite - the cranberry. It is super tart and mouth puckering but leaves you with a big grin on your face about 15 minutes later. I used either the Danstar cuvee or the Lavlin 1118 champagne yeasts.

Sorry I guess I left the sugar out . But yes I dissolved 2 pounds of sugar in hot water

ok well its been a bit and it is still bubbling away . Guess in about three mon ths or so I will see what I have :)

If you find their Tart Cherry buy some along with the Dark Cherry & make a wine from that....NICE. Add a 3-7 drops quality vanilla per 750ml bottle and WOW!

Sounds awesome SARAMC will have to try it . just racked into another jug tested it sg was 1.006 I just had to try it , a little yeasty but other then that not much taste at all :-( guess thats not all bad back sweeten a bit and see what happens .

Next time shoot for a Starting SG(After sugar) of 1.080-1.090. that will give you between aprox 10-12% ABV which is perfect.

Latest posts

Back