Not sure if this is normal

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am trying to make a pina colada brew. I am not sure if it is supposed to look like this because none of my other brews have separated like it and had the chunks like it. I have only done about 7 different ones so far as I am new to brewing. Also, not sure if it would be considered a wine or cider. I based my assumption off the expected ABV. The recipe that I did is – 64 oz 100% pineapple juice, 42 oz coconut water, 1.5 lbs sugar, 1 pkt ec-1118 yeast, 1 tsp yeast nutrient, and ½ tsp pectic enzyme, Starting Gravity is 1.104. I figure I will adjust the flavors in secondary. The problem, if it is a problem, is the chunks and amount of buildup at the top. I thought it might just be the pectic enzyme but it has never done it with my other brews. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Blessings.

Attachments

• 20231111_224620.jpg
    20231111_224620.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
I haven't attempted anything like it. Is it your own recipe? With gravity that high, you should expect extreme activity.
I came across the recipe and then tweaked it just a little. I wanted a higher ABV to avoid oxidation. I had read that it is more difficult to oxidize once you get above 10%. If this goes dry, which it should with the 1118, I expect it to be in the 14% range.

I'd wait until fermentation settles down (a week or two) before worrying about what's floating on top.

Brew on :mug:
Thanks, I will. 24 hrs in it has now become quite active. I have had to clean out the airlock twice. I am thinking that what I was seeing may have been pulp. I am thinking I may need to set up a blowoff tube instead as I have had a little bit of a mess happen with it. Just part of the fun of brewing. :)

Controlling your fermentation temps will reduce the foaming/blow off. Also creates a cleaner alcohol (less alcohol byproducts).

Low 60s would be much better than low 70s. This would be the temp of the wine inside the vessel. Find a cooler place perhaps? Or look up swamp cooler. Yes it's a wine, because it's fruit based and not from apples, which makes cider.

Thanks, I hadn't thought about the temp on it. What's comically bad is that I have been watching the temp on a cranberry wine that I am doing. It just never crossed my mind for this one. Also, thanks for clearing up my confusion on wine/cider. Much of what I had seen was basing the difference largely on the ABV over the ingredients.

I wanted a higher ABV to avoid oxidation. I had read that it is more difficult to oxidize once you get above 10%.
A higher ABV will not prevent oxidation, but it will help protect the wine from spoilage organisms. 12% ABV gives good protection.

Oxidation affects the flavor compounds as well as the alcohol itself. Once more than a little of the alcohol is oxidized, you will feel an unpleasant burning sensation in the back of your throat. The key to preventing oxidation is to minimize oxygen exposure once the primary fermentation is finished. You can do that by adding Kmeta and keeping the carboy filled up into the neck during clearing and bulk aging.

Back