Windsor dry yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NYShooterGuy

Reaction score
I hydrated and created a starter for my high gravity beer. I used a 500 ml starter and pitched plenty for the wort it needed to convert. I'm not going to get into specifics because I don't want to start an argument that I didn't make enough yeast for my starter. I know I had the exact amount I needed, the yeast was health and new and my sanitation practices are exemplary.

After 12 hours, the airlock clogged and blew off, I replaced the krausen covered lid with a clean and sanitized one, added a blow off tube and watched the tube bubble for the next 3 days.

Checked the FG after 3 weeks and ended with 44% attenuation.

Did the krausen from the lid I washed down the drain contain the yeast I needed to finish at a lower FG? Should I pitch more of the same yeast? Will what is left be able to convert table sugar to carbonation in the bottle? Should I pitch CBC in the bottling bucket?

Beer tastes delicious and malty, just don't want flat beer from the bottle.

There is plenty of yeast in a 3 week old beer to carbonate. The amount of yeast on the lid will not be an issue.

If the beer was super high ABV, fresh healthy yeast might help it carb faster but should not be needed.

I've never had 44% attenuation... did it get cold and flock out? If that reading is accurate, I'd be concerned about bottle bombs. (what was the OG/FG?)

I would add another yeast and/or raise the temp. Windsor is a notorious under-attenuator. But 1.032 is way too high of an FG to not be at risk for bottle bombs IMO. Plus, thats sickeningly sweet

If you used a refractometer to measure the final gravity it'll read high. Alcohol skews a hydrometer. There are calculators to convert. If you used a hydrometer, then never mind!

Latest posts

Back