Will this work?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbotrice

Reaction score
I have just brewed a pilsner kit, true brew, and was thinking that if I were to boil a bit of lemon peel with some of the priming sugar and add when I rack to the carboy and dry hop, it might give it a bit of a citric finish on the beer. Am I in left field or will it do what I want it to do? Some background, I keg to a corny so I have the priming sugar left over and I use about 1/4-1/2 c boiled in water with some extra hops to add to the carboy so that I get a secondary fermentation to guard against problems in the carboy and dry hop in the carboy. As to what I want out of the finished product is just a hint of citrus on a pilsner style ale with a bit extra hop nose from the cascades I will dry hop with. MPW

cbotrice said:
I have just brewed a pilsner kit, true brew, and was thinking that if I were to boil a bit of lemon peel with some of the priming sugar and add when I rack to the carboy and dry hop, it might give it a bit of a citric finish on the beer. Am I in left field or will it do what I want it to do? Some background, I keg to a corny so I have the priming sugar left over and I use about 1/4-1/2 c boiled in water with some extra hops to add to the carboy so that I get a secondary fermentation to guard against problems in the carboy and dry hop in the carboy. As to what I want out of the finished product is just a hint of citrus on a pilsner style ale with a bit extra hop nose from the cascades I will dry hop with. MPW

IMHO you'll get a perfect amount of citrus aroma just by dry-hopping with those Cascades. I love that strong grape-fruity smell Cascades gives.

You can always add lemon zest to the secondary ferment as well.

Back