Will this work for a mashtun?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmtonkin

Reaction score
As a Christmas present to ourselves, my wife and I are going to make a mashtun and then brew some beer together. I just found this cooler on Walmart.com, and I want to make sure it will work!

A little about us:
We both are really into home brewing and would like to take the next step. We typically brew 5-gallon batches, but would like to leave room for growth.

This cooler seems like a steal, so if it would be suitable, we're going to get it tonight!

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-52-Quarts-Extreeme-Cooler/21721549

Thanks!

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1447536508.074017.jpg

I use that exact cooler and it works great. Just mashed a full-volume RIS in it last weekend and collected 6.5 gallons of pre-boil wort with no sparge...boiled down to 5.5 gallons at 1.093.

I'm using a cooler conversion bulkhead and bazooka screen from Bargain Fittings.

I only have one gripe about this particular cooler and it's that the wall depth of the spigot is insulated as well...meaning be careful not to overtighten your bulkhead because the plastic will flex inward on both the inside and the outside if you do. Many other coolers aren't insulated around the drain so this isn't as much of an issue.

I preferred a round 10gallon Home Depot cooler, but that should work. Curious question: how are you making your filter false bottom?

I use that exact cooler and it works great. Just mashed a full-volume RIS in it last weekend and collected 6.5 gallons of pre-boil wort with no sparge...boiled down to 5.5 gallons at 1.093.

I'm using a cooler conversion bulkhead and bazooka screen from Bargain Fittings.

I only have one gripe about this particular cooler and it's that the wall depth of the spigot is insulated as well...meaning be careful not to overtighten your bulkhead because the plastic will flex inward on both the inside and the outside if you do. Many other coolers aren't insulated around the drain so this isn't as much of an issue.

ditto all

As a Christmas present to ourselves, my wife and I are going to make a mashtun and then brew some beer together. I just found this cooler on Walmart.com, and I want to make sure it will work!

A little about us:
We both are really into home brewing and would like to take the next step. We typically brew 5-gallon batches, but would like to leave room for growth.

This cooler seems like a steal, so if it would be suitable, we're going to get it tonight!

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-52-Quarts-Extreeme-Cooler/21721549

Thanks!

View attachment 315973

Let us know if you got it, looks like it e'll work fine to me. Good job getting the wife involved.

For what it's worth, I've also started doing 10 gallon batches with this cooler. So far I've done two 10 gallon batches (a 1.060 IPA and a 1.057 Oatmeal Stout) using a single infusion mash with single batch sparge. It's pretty tight...so I plan on soon moving up to start fly sparging through it.

Well, this post seems to have gotten away from me! We ended up ordering it on Sunday night and will be building the mashtun this weekend! Then it's time for a trip to the LHBS to brew up a batch!

Conveniently, my wife is actually the one who started brewing first (only by a month). I helped when she brewed her first batch, and then was hooked and had to get my own setup! Now that we're married, our brewing supplies been merged, and we're set for a long time!

I use that exact same cooler for my mash tun. Get a bazooka 12" screen for filtering and you're good to go!

I have used this exact one for nearly 3 years and just upgraded to the 70 quart marine version. They both hold temperature within 2-3 degrees F for up to a 90 minute mash.

Back