Looking for portable kegerator solutions... 2024 Edition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdubdvdt

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am looking to build a (2) - 3 gallon keg cooler that will either use picnic taps or actual taps. I am finally at the point where lugging my keezer around for a weekend beach trip isn't going to cut it. I would like the cooler to be a roller to make it easy to get around at the beach, tailgates, or take in or around to friend's homes.

The Igloo 70qt that previously others have used with (2)- 3 gallon kegs is pretty tough to find used at this point. I'd rather not do a hack job. I might be willing to go down to 2.5 gallon kegs, but I already have 3 gallon kegs.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/portable-igloo-cooler-kegerator.172047/ I did not want to bump this thread because there is a lot of good, but antiquated information that is irrelevant now that the Igloo Maxcold 70qt is hard to find used anywhere.

I can figure it out if they will fit using CAD software if people know the interior dimensions. I have looked around and there really isn't much in the "taller" coolers anymore. I would imagine because the taller coolers don't fit in the trunks of cars, or most people don't like digging into deep coolers of ice. Almost all newer coolers max out around 11-13" inside height. I have searched far and wide, but I am down to two "maybes" at this point with a Yeti Roadie 60qt (Might fit 2.5 gal kegs, also vomit at the price of one of these, https://www.yeti.com/coolers/hard-coolers/roadie/roadie-60.html), or the Coleman 316 Series 65qt (might not work at all, haven't found one in store to measure interior dimensions, https://www.coleman.com/coolers-dri...ries-65-quart-wheeled-cooler/SAP_2182647.html).

Requirements:
Roller Cooler
Fit (2) - 2.5 gal kegs (preferred 3 gallon kegs)
Fit in the trunk of SUV without taking up TOO MUCH SPACE (luggage needs to fit too)

Anything I am missing? I have looked everywhere online for new and for used coolers that work and I am thinking I will need to wait until one of the Igloo Maxcold 70qts pops up on FB Marketplace.

Have you considered going with the cheaper Coleman and building a keezer-style collar? How DIY are you feeling?
:mug:

Have you considered going with the cheaper Coleman and building a keezer-style collar? How DIY are you feeling?

I suppose that could be an easy enough option if I can get the lid to seal up similarly. Would allow to have taps without permanent modifications. I'd need to insulate and waterproof it pretty good. Not the worst idea.

1717954385631.png

I don't see how the lid is attached to the bottom of the cooler. Might destroy it trying to remove the lid.

Might be more DIY than I was hoping for.

Just take a reciprocating saw and cut the entire top of the cooler off, including the hinge and seal then build the collar as an extension....paint the wood and use silicone sealant.
Just a thought.

Just take a reciprocating saw and cut the entire top of the cooler off, including the hinge and seal then build the collar as an extension....paint the wood and use silicone sealant.
Just a thought.
Just cut the hinge, right?
Then build the collar onto the white shell, which has foam (insulation) inside.

Another thing to consider is splitting the rig, making a (chilled) chamber to hold the kegs (placed under the table) and a jockey box with the faucets on top of the table.
The jockey box has ice in it chilling the beer on its way to the faucets. The kegs are kept cold, or at least cool, but their actual temp is not all that critical.

Just cut the hinge, right?
Then build the collar onto the white shell, which has foam (insulation) inside.

Another thing to consider is splitting the rig, making a (chilled) chamber to hold the kegs (placed under the table) and a jockey box with the faucets on top of the table.
The jockey box has ice in it chilling the beer on its way to the faucets. The kegs are kept cold, or at least cool, but their actual temp is not all that critical.
Maybe. I am all for DIY, but I am still considering not having any permanent modifications to the chamber and only using picnic taps. I also am pretty sure I'd ruin a perfectly good cooler even though I'm decent for a DIYer. Not like I'd ever do a dovetail joint for skill reference.

As far as jockey boxes I like the concept, but that's more stuff to lug around. So I'll avoid that for now.

I like those coolers I linked, it's all in one. Now it is hard to go back after seeing them.

Have you looked at the smaller kegland kegs? They have a 4 and 8L keg, and with a floating dip tube, you can put them sideways..I can fit 3 8L and a bunch of ice in my pancho cooler along with a sodastream ~1lb CO2 to pour through all of them. The pancho cooler holds ice for days or more in "New England" heat, though damned if I can get my hands on a second...

Have you looked at the smaller kegland kegs? They have a 4 and 8L keg, and with a floating dip tube, you can put them sideways..I can fit 3 8L and a bunch of ice in my pancho cooler along with a sodastream ~1lb CO2 to pour through all of them. The pancho cooler holds ice for days or more in "New England" heat, though damned if I can get my hands on a second...
I have not looked at them yet. I would probably not consider the 4L, but I would consider the 8L. It is pretty tall still so I had not really looked at them. Tilting them to the side might gain me more space. I don't think I would be able to get my hands on the Pancho either. The Igloo 10gallon water cooler won't work with the 8L kegs either. If someone wants to part with their Pancho cooler that would be cool :D it is a good suggestion to use the 8L kegs with it, but those are so tall I would have to use a pretty large

Would this 90 qt Igloo EcoCool work?
They also have 60 qt model.
Interior dimensions seem to be hard to obtain anymore...
Deep searching shows that 90qt has the interior dimensions of L 27 x W 15 x H 15. The 2.5 gallon keg is about 14.5-14.75" tall, not sure what the clearance requirements would be with ball lock fittings on it. The 60qt roller after digging has interior dimensions 17.86" x 14.25" x 16.81" (15.87" x 9.59" at the bottom) - so it will fit only (1) 2.5 or 3 gallon keg (3 gallon might not fit either).

My 3 gallon kegs are about 17" with the ball lock fittings for reference. Most of these new coolers are not very tall. Probably because people don't want to dive in for a drink/won't fit in a sedan trunk (although that makes no sense because almost every car is a hatchback that they call a crossover now).

I could possibly combine both your suggestions and use the Kegland 8L kegs in the 90qt Igloo laying down. It does seem ridiculous otherwise to get such a big cooler for only ~ (2) 2 gallon kegs, but that might be my option if I can't find the Igloo 70qt Maxcold.

For casual serving in mild climates I'll just pop a keg into a 5 or 6 gallon bucket and pack ice around it. Ex-fermenting buckets are wider and work best.

Otherwise, I'm usually a fan of a jockeybox setup if I know it'll be a long day.

For casual serving in mild climates I'll just pop a keg into a 5 or 6 gallon bucket and pack ice around it. Ex-fermenting buckets are wider and work best.

Otherwise, I'm usually a fan of a jockeybox setup if I know it'll be a long day.
It will never be a mild climate in my situation - I live in Florida and most of the situations where I will be using this are going to be at a pool, the beach, or tailgating when its 90-100F with direct sun all day. Sometimes I might need to be able to keep the beer cold for an entire weekend depending on how fast the beer goes. I might be traveling 8-12 hours away with this beer.

I understand the benefit of jockey boxes, but that does not fit my requirements for multiple reasons. I can't be lugging a bunch of stuff around (like a jockey box and kegs separately). I have two young kids and if we are going out of town for a weekend I need as much trunk real estate as possible. Even without kids, I will already have a separate cooler for non beer/NA beverages/juice/food, along with a canopy, chairs, grill, corn hole boards, etc. We have a full size SUV and I assure you it gets packed to the brim already without having a keg cooler.

It's just not feasible to keep adding more crap to lug around beyond a cooler with kegs of beer on ice with picnic taps.

It's hard to tell cause website doesn't give interior dimensions but what about Igloo Sunset Glide 110 Qt Cooler. It's a little bigger but if might get both 3 gallon kegs in.

You could wheel to location and prop it up on it side so kegs standing up. Might have to use something like a ratchet strap to secure lid so it doesn't open. Could also put real taps into the lid.

not sure what the clearance requirements would be with ball lock fittings on it.
The newer plastic Kegland QDs come in a low profile version, using a side mount. However, they may only come in Duotight, so no MFL or barb connection. But perfect for EVA Barrier line.

If laying kegs on side, there is a risk of backflow into the gas line. Perhaps try to face gas connector up (to avoid trapping liquid), install a check valve, and keep in mind that gas side will need more cleaning than normal.
Good reminder. I will make sure I put a check valve in regardless. Thank you.
It's hard to tell cause website doesn't give interior dimensions but what about Igloo Sunset Glide 110 Qt Cooler. It's a little bigger but if might get both 3 gallon kegs in.

You could wheel to location and prop it up on it side so kegs standing up. Might have to use something like a ratchet strap to secure lid so it doesn't open. Could also put real taps into the lid.
I wonder if it would leak that way. The 110qt Sunset Glide does not have the height for 3 gallon kegs. I think the 90qt Latitude has the required length to lay down so I am sure the 110qt Sunset Glide does too. I think most people don't care about the interior dimensions - they care about the exterior dimensions, how they will fit it on their boat, in their car, etc. Then they care about how many cans they can fit apparently. Haha.
The newer plastic Kegland QDs come in a low profile version, using a side mount. However, they may only come in Duotight, so no MFL or barb connection. But perfect for EVA Barrier line.
I did see that. I have not used the EVA Barrier line, but heard good things. Do you have experience with it? Will picnic taps work on it?

I have not used the EVA Barrier line, but heard good things. Do you have experience with it? Will picnic taps work on it?
There are many threads and posts by (home)brewers using EVA Barrier line and very successfully so. It certainly looks to be the perfect line for both beer and gas.

Kegland sells specially made picnic taps with a stem that fits Duotight fittings (or John Guest, or other push-to-connect fittings).
I haven't seen those picnic taps in use yet. Maybe at our annual homebrew campout, later this year. ;)

I'm still using Accuflex BevSeal Ultra 235 line. I plan the move to EVA Barrier someday in the (near) future.

Those style coolers would work for shorter periods of time, but if I need to drive 8-12 hours I am going to need a lot of ice packs.

Those coolers are never really water proof so I can't just throw ice in there for a 8+ hour drive without having a trash bag around it. I would consider something like that to use for a 1 day trip for sure. Good find with a roller.

Do you weld or have a friend who welds? You could just start from scratch making it to fit your requirements exactly; Make a sheet-metal box, sized to your kegs, make a wooden outer shell and insulate in between, mount the thing on wheels with a pull-up handle and whatever CO2 accomodations you need.
But yeah: Go with EVABarrier, I personally love the 3mm ID line...only 37".

Do you weld or have a friend who welds? You could just start from scratch making it to fit your requirements exactly; Make a sheet-metal box, sized to your kegs, make a wooden outer shell and insulate in between, mount the thing on wheels with a pull-up handle and whatever CO2 accomodations you need.
But yeah: Go with EVABarrier, I personally love the 3mm ID line...only 37".
Don't tempt me with a good time.
I have a nice MIG and I am pretty good with mild steel.

If I started another project like that - I am pretty sure I would end up divorced. Maybe something I can remember for next summer. Now I am wondering if I need to just build an enclosure that holds (2) of these....

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/portable-3-gallon-kegerator-3d-printed-parts.697016/

Maybe. I am all for DIY, but I am still considering not having any permanent modifications to the chamber and only using picnic taps. I also am pretty sure I'd ruin a perfectly good cooler even though I'm decent for a DIYer. Not like I'd ever do a dovetail joint for skill reference.

As far as jockey boxes I like the concept, but that's more stuff to lug around. So I'll avoid that for now.

I like those coolers I linked, it's all in one. Now it is hard to go back after seeing them.
I built a two tap jockey box out of a 30 qt Igloo cooler. It has wheels and a handle. I am not understanding your concern about more stuff to lug around. A 90 or 110qt cooler is a lot larger, and I do get the kegs are loose with a jockey box not inside the cooler. You could go smaller even then 30 qts but I decided I liked this cooler. You can scale up or down on the keg sizes this way too. I'm using a paintball CO2 tank. I have a regular CO2 regulator for it. The jockey box is a lot lighter than a cooler with 2 kegs in it and an easier fit as far as packing. Your call of course but I think perhaps you may be shortselling jockey boxes.

Attachments

• 20240429_141845.jpg
    20240429_141845.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240429_141903.jpg
    20240429_141903.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 0
I built a two tap jockey box out of a 30 qt Igloo cooler. It has wheels and a handle. I am not understanding your concern about more stuff to lug around. A 90 or 110qt cooler is a lot larger, and I do get the kegs are loose with a jockey box not inside the cooler. You could go smaller even then 30 qts but I decided I liked this cooler. You can scale up or down on the keg sizes this way too. I'm using a paintball CO2 tank. I have a regular CO2 regulator for it. The jockey box is a lot lighter than a cooler with 2 kegs in it and an easier fit as far as packing. Your call of course but I think perhaps you may be shortselling jockey boxes.

I am not as concerned about the weight as an assembly as much I am with how much space it takes up and how many trips I am making back and forth to the vehicle. The 70qt Igloo Cooler is a reasonable size and can hold everything in one rolling setup. Which is where I am setting the bar with this project. I have not used jockey boxes in long term situations where I would drive for (2) days and then keep the kegs in 95-100F ambient temp all day. I recall jockey boxes being good for a one day service where you take a cold keg and don't care if the keg gets warm.

Maybe I am thinking of this wrong, but this is what I am envisioning for your idea.
30 qt Jockey Box - put gas and beer lines in here for transporting reasons + ice
(2) 3 gallon kegs in a storage tote (+ might need ice for this beer will be transported 12 hours)

I would want to keep the beer somewhat cool (<80F) which would mean I need a trash can, storage tote, or another cooler. I overlaid the 70qt MAXCOLD in dotted line with what you have in solid lines, 30qt, with (2) -3 gallon cornies, in a made up storage tote that who knows if it exists. The space difference is negligible unless you are worried about vertical space.

Yes the 70qt takes up a little more vertical space and slightly more horizontally - but it is all self contained, one cooler to move and one ice bath. I am concerned about the extra space and you are right - it would take up less space to use a jockey box. I think I would be ok with slightly more space usage to have it all contained.

Unless you think I could just leave the kegs in the car during the trip, not worry about their temps sitting outside for a few days? I am fearful the heat over the course of a few days or a week might skunk the beer. I have never aged beer above 72F.
1718041583366.png

1718041597688.png

I saw something somewhere awhile ago someone used a rolling trash can - the kind you put your trash in and roll out to the curb every week

I saw something somewhere awhile ago someone used a rolling trash can - the kind you put your trash in and roll out to the curb every week
That is always a good solution for something local, but not reasonable space wise on a longer trip. We always used a trash can for 1/2bbl kegs back in the day. It works.

Good setup, but still pretty small. Honestly, at 1 gallon each it really seems pretty silly. I guess if I wanted to bring (3) or (4), 1 gallon samples that would be OK, but most of the time I have 2 pretty good beers that I would like to bring as much as possible. I really would prefer to not go under 2 gallons, but I really would like to go with (3) gallon kegs. There really doesn't seem like a lot of options that can handle something 17-21" tall (for 3 gallon setups). They have 10L bubba kegs, but they're taller than the 3 gallon cornies by 4". I don't think diameter of the kegs is really an issue as much as height.

I like that sodastream setup and the taps in the cupholders is a different take.

i love sodastreams portability. and canking really has it down.

i would combine sodastream with oxebar 4's and just have lots of them. you can keep them in coolers and just swithc to the taps as needed .

they are the lightest and prolly cheapest.

ultraversatile
and lots of fun

i love sodastreams portability. and canking really has it down.

i would combine sodastream with oxebar 4's and just have lots of them. you can keep them in coolers and just swithc to the taps as needed .

they are the lightest and prolly cheapest.

ultraversatile
and lots of fun
You might be onto something actually. I was very hesitant to having MANY 1 gallons because I figured I could just bring growlers. With the height restriction, maybe I should be looking into seeing how many 4L oxebars I can fit, get a divider for the vertical keg section (for serving), and then I can swap kegs out....

I didn’t see this suggested (apologize if I missed it), but years ago I built a trashcan kegerator. Wheeled trashcan, and added a plastic faucet to the bottom for draining as ice melted. I used real faucets, but you could also put picnic taps through the front. I used 5# co2 tank when I used three kegs, but for one keg I just used a c02 charger.
IMG_4066.jpeg

A little info on the build here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/trashcan-kegerator.180350/
The walls are thin, so we just used pieces of foam insulation (like the stuff on walls), and added ice.

but you could go a lot smaller, just to the height of the co2 tank or the 3 gallon kegs. I’m sure they have smaller rolling trash bins. Or something like that.

I didn’t see this suggested (apologize if I missed it), but years ago I built a trashcan kegerator. Wheeled trashcan, and added a plastic faucet to the bottom for draining as ice melted. I used real faucets, but you could also put picnic taps through the front. I used 5# co2 tank when I used three kegs, but for one keg I just used a c02 charger.
It was suggested a few posts ago. A great solution, but I cannot justify bringing that in a size limited expedition 8-12 hours away. This is what I will do for my next wedding or large birthday party. In March I lugged my keezer across town. Definitely not worth it.

minikegs and minikegs only!

i would just get a rolling yeti and put 6 four liter oxebars in there . thats 24 liters of beer . you can still fit a sodasrteam and all the tubing and taps etc. options for dispensing are many including but not limtied to picnic tap 2.,1 nuka mini, cobra with 7 feet of 5 mm tubing , or just open and pour lol.

Those 5L kegs are actually a little more than a gallon. About 1.3 gallons each. 169 oz / 12 = 14 servings at 12 oz each. So figure one of those is just about like bringing a 12 pack. If the box holds 2 then its a little over a case. I guess it’s a question of purpose and how much you would go through.

For comparison, a 3 gallon keg is about (30) 12 oz servings. It would be 31 or 32 if you got every drop.

Those 5L kegs are about $60 each if you don’t have any. That cost would be on top of the cooler and parts.

But yeah, at that level why not just buy a case of cans or a 30 pack of cans?

I am not as concerned about the weight as an assembly as much I am with how much space it takes up and how many trips I am making back and forth to the vehicle. The 70qt Igloo Cooler is a reasonable size and can hold everything in one rolling setup. Which is where I am setting the bar with this project. I have not used jockey boxes in long term situations where I would drive for (2) days and then keep the kegs in 95-100F ambient temp all day. I recall jockey boxes being good for a one day service where you take a cold keg and don't care if the keg gets warm.

Maybe I am thinking of this wrong, but this is what I am envisioning for your idea.
30 qt Jockey Box - put gas and beer lines in here for transporting reasons + ice
(2) 3 gallon kegs in a storage tote (+ might need ice for this beer will be transported 12 hours)

I would want to keep the beer somewhat cool (<80F) which would mean I need a trash can, storage tote, or another cooler. I overlaid the 70qt MAXCOLD in dotted line with what you have in solid lines, 30qt, with (2) -3 gallon cornies, in a made up storage tote that who knows if it exists. The space difference is negligible unless you are worried about vertical space.

Yes the 70qt takes up a little more vertical space and slightly more horizontally - but it is all self contained, one cooler to move and one ice bath. I am concerned about the extra space and you are right - it would take up less space to use a jockey box. I think I would be ok with slightly more space usage to have it all contained.

Unless you think I could just leave the kegs in the car during the trip, not worry about their temps sitting outside for a few days? I am fearful the heat over the course of a few days or a week might skunk the beer. I have never aged beer above 72F.
View attachment 850485
View attachment 850486

You should consider volume not just footprint. I have had to pack the family into an SUV for many trips over the years. Space and weight were my personal concerns. But if you want to base it on trips to the vehicle, that's your prerogative. My little jockey box is easy to move and other items could be carried with it. You would have one extra trip for the kegs, which don't need ice or another container.

I was going to build a two tap out of an Igloo Latitude 16 originally. While I didn't, I was confident it could be accomplished.

I take my jockey box camping for 3 day weekends, a day's drive in the summer to PA. I wouldn't leave the kegs in an unconditioned vehicle overnight. The kegs are in my travel trailer the whole ride, not air conditioned. The kegs sit outside after that under a trailer awning, shaded as much as possible. You do seem to feel they are going to need icing constantly but if you can't mitigate the blazing sun for days on end I suppose that's what you need. A small jockey box would save space, is very portable, and is flexible for different size kegs. Get whatever makes you comfortable.

Last edited:
Those 5L kegs are actually a little more than a gallon. About 1.3 gallons each. 169 oz / 12 = 14 servings at 12 oz each. So figure one of those is just about like bringing a 12 pack. If the box holds 2 then its a little over a case. I guess it’s a question of purpose and how much you would go through.

For comparison, a 3 gallon keg is about (30) 12 oz servings. It would be 31 or 32 if you got every drop.

Those 5L kegs are about $60 each if you don’t have any. That cost would be on top of the cooler and parts.

But yeah, at that level why not just buy a case of cans or a 30 pack of cans?
The 4L oxebars are pretty cheap $10 or so IIRC. I also already own (2) 3 gallon kegs and a bunch of growlers which is part of the reason why I want it to work with the 3 gallon kegs. I get what you're saying... Where do you draw the line for it. Might as well stop brewing and just buy beer at that point. Haha

You should consider volume not just footprint. I have had to pack the family into an SUV for many trips over the years. Space and weight were my personal concerns. But if you want to base it on trips to the vehicle, that's your prerogative. My little jockey box is easy to move and could include other items. You would have one extra trip for the kegs, which don't need ice or another container.

I was going to build a two tap out of an Igloo Latitude 16 originally. While I didn't, I was confident it could be accomplished.

I take my jockey box camping for 3 day weekends, a day's drive in the summer to PA. I wouldn't leave the kegs in an unconditioned vehicle overnight. The kegs are in my travel trailer the whole ride, not air conditioned. The kegs sit outside after that under a trailer awning, shaded as much as possible. You do seem to feel they are going to need icing constantly but if you can't mitigate the blazing sun for days on end I suppose that's what you need. A small jockey box would save space, is very portable, and is flexible for different size kegs. Get whatever makes you comfortable.

The kegs would be likely be subjected to way worse temperatures than summer camping in PA. Keep in mind it is still spring and it is 84F at 920pm. Summer temperatures are rare to see anything lower than 80F unless it rained for awhile. We break 90F by 1030am. There is no break from the heat in summer in Florida. Even in the shade the beer will absolutely be 95-100F by the afternoon. I would say, yes I need a cooler or some sort of box to house some ice. If we were crushing beers like in our 20s that would be different.

Jockey box sounds like it would work in other situations, but does not fit my current criteria. Maybe I will build one for other types of trips - not several day trips in extreme weather. Was considering it for tailgating, but that's 4-8 hours with ambient temps over 90F again, and any remaining beer would not be spared after sitting in the hot car for 4 hours (while at the game).

Back