Looking for portable kegerator solutions... 2024 Edition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Look for Pancho's keg cooler deluxe? Might be big enough to fit 3 galloners?
Pretty sure it is big enough, but Pancho's went out of business awhile ago.
It holds a five gallon corny, but at those prices...sheesh! You could build your own. Interior dimensions of my 10 gallon igloo water cooler ($55 at Lowe's) are 19" high and 13" diameter. So a 3 gallon keg should fit easily. No wheels though.

I’ve ended up with two water coolers that were formerly mash tuns; one I built and the other from a package deal on Craigslist. I do use one for my temp twister occasionally, but I use neither now for mashing.
I have an event to attend in July and I am thinking about just setting a 5 gallon corny keg in each and filling with ice. The top of the keg will clear the cooler enough to add a Tapit. I’m also considering building some lightweight hand trucks out electrical conduit and old lawnmower wheels to move them around. 🤷🏻‍♂️

There's the thread to build your own....doesn't have wheels, but knowing this community, that could be, "it doesn't have wheels yet"!
OP already has three gallon kegs that are about 17" tall, so his build would be much simpler. Just the holes for a gas line and a tap.

OP already has three gallon kegs that are about 17" tall, so his build would be much simpler. Just the holes for a gas line and a tap.
Understood and agreed.

Just pointing out to the OP that if Pancho's version intrigued him, someone here has already made a knockoff with instructions, if he didn't already know.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/portable-5-gallon-keg-cooler.637650/

There's the thread to build your own....doesn't have wheels, but knowing this community, that could be, "it doesn't have wheels yet"!

It is in the back of my mind. I would probably want to buy or build a cart to hold both of them.
Honestly I am trying to figure out how he could fit his 3 gallon kegs in this. I know the lid is modified slightly, but I don't see how he gained almost 3.25"
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/portable-3-gallon-kegerator-3d-printed-parts.697016/

It is listed to be 13.63" inside height.
https://www.igloocoolers.com/produc...24677&pr_ref_pid=4493396574291&pr_seq=uniform

I am trying to figure out how he could fit his 3 gallon kegs in this. It is listed to be 13.63" inside height.
Yeah I don't get that either. The lid mods are to accommodate the posts, QDs and the tap. Either they changed the cooler design since then or that's a smaller keg. But even a 2.5 gallon strap handled keg is going to be at least 14" tall.
I would probably want to buy or build a cart to hold both of them.
1718116860521.jpegUnless you need off-road capabilities. :)

Yeah I don't get that either. The lid mods are to accommodate the posts, QDs and the tap. Either they changed the cooler design since then or that's a smaller keg. But even a 2.5 gallon strap handled keg is going to be at least 14" tall.

View attachment 850569Unless you need off-road capabilities. :)
YES!!! Radio-Flyer and either acquire and butcher, or build a faux vintage cooler to put in it..something like this:
beercoolerold.jpeg

Would the "Cool" factor be enough to get spousal support? ...I know that mine would love it (as long as one of the kegs held cider :p )

View attachment 850569Unless you need off-road capabilities. :)
That has to be a 2.5 gallon keg.

Hmmm. Off-road you say :)
YES!!! Radio-Flyer and either acquire and butcher, or build a faux vintage cooler to put in it..something like this:
View attachment 850570
Would the "Cool" factor be enough to get spousal support? ...I know that mine would love it (as long as one of the kegs held cider :p )
That's pretty sweet! If I found something cool enough I'm sure I could. Shoot I think the Coleman belted coolers are pretty neat. Modify that to look more patina and add some old stickers and it's a nice rig.

I was inspired by this thread. I just completed my portable using the model linked to an old thread above. I was hoping to use my old igloo/mash tun, but alas, igloo has changed the style so I had to buy two. I still had to wing it a bit to accommodate the new style, but nothing was extremely difficult. I actually liked the fact that the handles are removable on the new style because I was concerned that someone, (like me) might grab the top handles to move it while loaded and rip the whole thing apart. This won’t happen now.
If you do decide to go this route, double-check inside for a true cylindrical shape. I didn’t and found (after I cut it) that one had a bulge where the foam insulation was not uniform between the inner and outer walls. It caused a few issues with alignment and sealing the interior sleeve, but nothing that silicone would not cover, and it had no effect on the outside whatsoever.

IMG_8643.jpeg

1719940342628.png

I was able to find the Igloo Maxcold 70qt cooler that someone had used as a mashtun. Trimmed the protruding rubber off the bottom of the kegs (about 1/16" off on radius), still a tight fit, but the lid closes!

I am still interested in other solutions moving forward. Even considering the possibility of making my own cooler to possibly fit (3) 3 gallon kegs with a dry storage spot for the gas canister.

Had my first field test of the igloo kegerator build this weekend. It was also the maiden voyage of a last minute cold plate-jockey box.

My brews were situated on a concrete pad just inside the shelter barn workshop. A couple issues:
1) I was assuming I would be on soil, so I had made no accommodation for faucet drip. The field solution was Solo cups on the floor beneath each faucet.

2) The rig sat out overnight and with the humid weather here in the South, the faucets sweated profusely. I didn’t have them available, but came up with the idea that next time I would have winter spigot covers for my taps. I’m probably not the first to do this, but wish I had thought of it ahead of time.

IMG_8699.jpeg
IMG_8703.jpeg

Had my first field test of the igloo kegerator build this weekend. It was also the maiden voyage of a last minute cold plate-jockey box.

My brews were situated on a concrete pad just inside the shelter barn workshop. A couple issues:
1) I was assuming I would be on soil, so I had made no accommodation for faucet drip. The field solution was Solo cups on the floor beneath each faucet.

2) The rig sat out overnight and with the humid weather here in the South, the faucets sweated profusely. I didn’t have them available, but came up with the idea that next time I would have winter spigot covers for my taps. I’m probably not the first to do this, but wish I had thought of it ahead of time.
Good idea!

I was inspired by this thread. I just completed my portable using the model linked to an old thread above. I was hoping to use my old igloo/mash tun, but alas, igloo has changed the style so I had to buy two. I still had to wing it a bit to accommodate the new style, but nothing was extremely difficult. I actually liked the fact that the handles are removable on the new style because I was concerned that someone, (like me) might grab the top handles to move it while loaded and rip the whole thing apart. This won’t happen now.
If you do decide to go this route, double-check inside for a true cylindrical shape. I didn’t and found (after I cut it) that one had a bulge where the foam insulation was not uniform between the inner and outer walls. It caused a few issues with alignment and sealing the interior sleeve, but nothing that silicone would not cover, and it had no effect on the outside whatsoever.

View attachment 851918

That's bad ass. Nice job!

Back