Will this taste good? Question on slurry repitch..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

idigg

Reaction score
I have some ingredients laying around and came up with this... will it taste good?

5.25 gal
11lbs Pale 2-row
.6lbs amber crisp

.5oz columbus @ 55min
.5oz chinook @ 15min
.5oz chinook @ 1min
.5oz chinook dry hop

All I would need to buy is 1oz of chinook, I have .5oz of columbus and .5oz of chinook.

ALSO - I saved Safale US05 slurry from a Chinook IPA batch. I basically poured boiled (cooled) water on the cake, and made it into a slurry and poured it into 4 mason jars. It looks great, but not sure how to pitch one of these jars into a new batch. I have never made a starter, I just want to pitch this :) The slurry is from 2 weeks ago. Can I just bring it to room temp and pitch?

Thanks for info!
justin :tank:

I have not used chinook before in my brewing so I can't comment on the hop flavors. But, your recipe looks good.

You can make a starter by boiling 1g DME per 10 mL water (200g DME in 2 L water which is about 1/2 gallon starter). I usually cold crash my starter in the fridge for 12 -24 hours then decant the clear wort off the yeast cake leaving enough wort to mix the yeast into a slurry before pitching (let it warm to room temp before pitching). IMO, the starter maybe a good idea to make sure your yeast is clean and that you're pitching enough for a healthly fermentation (not sure what size your mason jars are).

Hops should be great. I love Chinook, and it makes a great single hop IPA. As for the yeast, you should be good at 2 weeks to repitch without a starter (though a starter is better for peace of mind). I've repitched up to 3 weeks with washed yeast without a starter and had less than 12 hours lag.

Back