Beer that tasted not so good but 1 month later is delicious

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewmegoodbeer

Reaction score
I received brewed a saison that I dubbed “Beir de Triumph” made with bitter orange peel, lemon peel and 5lbs of blueberry puree. First pour I could tell something was off. It tasted like bubble gum to me but what I really felt like was causing that was the overwhelming taste of lemon with a small background of blueberry (somehow this made a double bubble bubble gum taste). Throughout the last month sitting in the keg ive noticed its been tasting better and better. Now at a month or more, id say its a damn good beer. I can taste lemon, blueberry and bitter orange all in layers with a nice tartness and crispness that a saison brings. This time I am glad that time helped this beer figure itself out. If i brew this again it will be with half the lemon peel i used in this batch as well as prob regular orange peel instead of bitter (lhbs was out of the regs at the time). Can any of you reflect where time in the keg made your beer much better?

Beir de triumph blueberry lemon saison

Attachments

• 427FC3E5-B4F3-43AC-90C8-101E8907BA92.jpeg
    427FC3E5-B4F3-43AC-90C8-101E8907BA92.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Beer changes over time. Yeast esters can abate and volatiles that come off hops and citrus fruit will dissipate. If your beer is where you like now, drink it. A month from now, it will be slightly different again.

I'm waiting and hoping that my last batch of beer gets better with time. Bottled on Sept. 7 and so far I'm not really happy with it. However it's showing promise. Part of the issue is likely the yeast hasn't really settled out. One of my murkier beers. But when I looked last night they are beginning to clear up, so hopefully the yeast is settling out.

This is my first experience using S-04 and I'm not too crazy about it compared to results with US-05 and S-33 in the same basic recipe. Though the US-05 recipe was with more malt quantity for a higher ABV.

Yes beers can get better or worse with time. If you have several batches bottled, then sample all regularly and drink more of the batch that is at its best.

Or was this just for kegger's?

Early on, my first Hefeweizen was bottle carbed. After two weeks, it was carbonated but smelled like a wet dog and tasted awful. Forgives if dump it when I needed the bottles. Tried one a few weeks later and it was perfect.! Another lesson in patience.

Back