Will this Make a Decent Beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,

I recently placed an order with Atlantic Home Brew supply. I didn't click the link to read their explanation that they mix all of the grains you order in one bag, and ordered them as I would from any other brewing supply website. I scaled the recipe based on my efficiency and I rounded up my quantities to the nearest pound and received a large bag of mixed grains. I was wondering if someone who knows enough about recipe development could tell me whether its worth it to grind and brew the mixed bag they sent me, or chuck it and start from fresh.

I was planning on brewing this recipe : Clone Beer - Founder's Breakfast Stout Clone

16 lbs. American 2-row
1 lbs American Chocolate Malt
.75 lbs Roasted Barley
9 oz American Black Patent
7 oz Crystal Malt 120°L
22 oz Oats Flaked

Instead, I got a giant bag of

19 LBS 2 row
2 LBS of Chocolate Malt
1LB of roasted barley
1 lb of black pattent

The flaked oats were packaged separatley, so I can adjust that quantity

The crystal I ordered wasn't on the invoice, so I'll have to add that from another source.

Will doubling the chocolate malt and black patent make a bad beer? Should i grind this up and brew or throw away the $40 of grains and start with the real recipe?

Thanks.

was looking at the original.

but for me when your crystal comes in, you got enough for 2x 5 gallon batches, if you know how to get funky!

Last edited:
Hoppy2bmerry, Thanks, but that's obvious and not at all what I asked. I know it will be beer. My question was will it be a bad beer (ie not enjoyable to drink).

I'm concerned that increasing the chocolate and black patent malt by more than double will make a overpoweringly harsh or bitter beer. My free time that I can devote to brewing is extremely limited, so I'd rather throw away the grain and buy new instead of spending 4 hours brewing 5 gallons of beer that will be that will be a chore to drink. On the other hand, if it will be different, but not what I described above, I'll give it a shot.

I think if brewing is typically a long day, lot of work, and you can't do it often, you might reconsider the recipe.

If it's not a huge deal, I think I'd go for it. I think the chocolate will be fine. The black patent might be tough though in that amount. One way to find out. At least consider going as far as mashing it, and taking a swig before you boil and add hops, etc.

You replied while I was typing. I think I'd start again, that black patent makes me nervous. But it'd be good to hear from someone that has actually used that much.

Hoppy2bmerry, Thanks, but that's obvious and not at all what I asked. I know it will be beer. My question was will it be a bad beer (ie not enjoyable to drink).

I'm concerned that increasing the chocolate and black patent malt by more than double will make a overpoweringly harsh or bitter beer. My free time that I can devote to brewing is extremely limited, so I'd rather throw away the grain and buy new instead of spending 4 hours brewing 5 gallons of beer that will be that will be a chore to drink. On the other hand, if it will be different, but not what I described above, I'll give it a shot.
More chocolate malt obviously is going to give you more of that flavor not really a problem. I provided the article about the black malt to reduce your fears about it, but you’re welcomed. I have no idea what YOU would think is a good beer or not, I would probably enjoy it.

I was of the mindset to split the batch then ad 5.5 pounds of pale base malt. Then I ran the recipe and it still comes out pitch black. I’d say toss it if you had black patent and black/roasted malt but since you have black patent and black barley, its tougher to say dump it.

If it were me, I’d brew it with the suggestion above. But I brew a little more frequently and don’t mind seeing mistakes through.

Here’s what BeerSmith predicts for your grain bill in the recipe you linked. Does that look like something you would enjoy?
A9C68D5C-CD25-47B6-86D0-FE6E5F29E8B8.png

My two cents. The black and the roasted are probably the "strongest" tasting. If you have some past recipes you've liked with either of these ingredients, then as others have suggested then simply "dilute" by adding base grains. Should come out a decent beer. And you can always taste the wort and toss without fermenting if really not to your liking.

For example, I LOVE this London Porter clone. The grain bill you got isn't THAT far out of line (although double the roasted barley, and if you like Guiness then it won't be "too" much roasted barley).
1605327090806.png

Back