Will this cheap 3500 watt induction burner work?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stupid search bar, I tried searching e03 and got no results, should have tried error. Thanks

HBT should replace the search field with this direction:
Google > site:homebrewtalk.com <put your query here>​

Following along this format:
gives you the answer in the 3rd result. That kind of accuracy and expedience even boggles my mind.

Looking a bit deeper, this is what the (online) manual tells us:
E03 Temporary voltage overl[o]ad. Cooker
became too hot. Let cooker cool down before restarting.​
Which makes no sense in above context.

I hope you have a meter and can check the 3 voltages on the outlet. Two hots and one ground. 120V between each hot and ground; 240V between 2 hots.

Last edited:
Right, that's what I thought too.
I'm thinking my outlet is hosed, but not 100% how to test it with my multimeter. Do I go black to bottom ground and then test each of the two hot plugs to get 240 and 120with the red?

Right, that's what I thought too.
I'm thinking my outlet is hosed, but not 100% how to test it with my multimeter. Do I go black to bottom ground and then test each of the two hot plugs to get 240 and 120with the red?

You're measuring AC, so there is no need for polarity on the meter. Make sure it's set to VOLT, AC, 250V or higher range.

Yes, the bottom should be ground. The 2 top spades both being hot, with voltage as I said above. (I edited that post heavily).

I'm going to have my electrician friend check it out tomorrow, but I think we put the wrong outlet on the wrong breaker, we had 2 30a 120v and I think we mixed it up.

Problem solved. I put one of the hots on the neutral on the breaker, oops glad it was something that simple though

Has anyone got this sent to Canada? The site says that duties and taxes will be added after. Does anyone know what that will be?

This thread inspired me to go induction but u have two questions, read through the entire thread first and didn't catch the answers

1) I bought the 16 gal bayou classic 1044 stainless steel kettle and saw on another form that they are no longer induction ready. A magnet does not stick to it but I know it didn't for others yet still worked. Anyone buy one recently and have it not work?

2) That keg koozy seemed like it had superior insulation compared to the reflex wrap. The problem is they haven't made them since 2014. Any company that makes a similar product?

I'll know the first answer in a couple days when my induction cooker comes in and I will let you all know.

The 1044 is an 11 gallon kettle.

You are correct sir. I purchased the 1064 and it still works despite the other board saying it does not.

Did a test run of 4 gal of water that boiled in 28min and the lid wasn't on for half the time.
Might brew tonight if I have the energy.

As for the second part of my inquiry there is another company called the Keg glove that sells their product for 124$ which is pretty ridiculous. So I may try and find a wet suit on Craigslist and cut that up to fit the kettle see what happens. I think they are made of the same material

Williams Brewing has keg cozys.

They are made by the company 40 below and are 110$. Maybe the other company went out of business because it was selling far to low but the keg koozy sold for 39$ ,that's a huge difference

Yes sir ill video a boil water tonight so you can see before buying also check overstock.com and search bayou classic it seems that they were on sale. :mug:

Ok couldn't get the video to load from my phone so here some pics it a 10gal quantity had to wrap in towels I have not wrap in reflex yet

048.jpg

050.jpg

I posted the video on you tube hope this helps. It is the same as in the pictures I posted.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5I53Ooufws[/ame]

Bought a 1064 from Amazon and it arrived today. Did not pass the magnet test and the spigot looks different than the one in your pictures / videos (no red protector over valve handle). Still in the process of wiring my induction cook top so no opportunity to test. Could you let me know if the kettle in your video / pictures passed the magnet test? Cheers!

Bought a 1064 from Amazon and it arrived today. Did not pass the magnet test and the spigot looks different than the one in your pictures / videos (no red protector over valve handle). Still in the process of wiring my induction cook top so no opportunity to test. Could you let me know if the kettle in your video / pictures passed the magnet test? Cheers!

I just bought this and it is fine. I love my induction burner wish I would have switched sooner.

Ok couldn't get the video to load from my phone so here some pics it a 10gal quantity had to wrap in towels I have not wrap in reflex yet

So, to make sure I have this right - That was a 15 gallon kettle with 10 gallons of water in it? Did it ever boil harder than that, or was that all it had?

I'm debating on picking up this induction plate or just making an E-Kettle. The price is too similar to make the decision easy.

For what it's worth if I went back and did it again. I'd do an e-kettle. But I wasn't ready for the amount of effort I'd have to do to set that up at the time. This was really plug and play.

What I like about the induction burner vs an e-kettle is that you can use it for other cooking tasks as well. I've got some nice clad pans and nice cast iron that work really well for searing on the induction burner.

If you insulate your kettle (which you can do since there's no flame) then there's no problem holding a rolling boil.

I just did 10 due to that where we normally start around 9 to 8/12 for boil for a 6 gal batch and when I insulated the pot it does boil more.

Hey everyone. I just ordered one of these cooktops. I have this outlet available to use:

Xka8yjy.jpg

Will this work, or do I need to replace it?

Be a good idea to get it checked out while the cook top should draw a little under 16 Amps. 3500/220=~15.9 Amp the breaker protects the wire. 25 Amp breaker would be 10 Gage.

I did a comparison test tonight of my 20 gallon Bru gear kettle on my bosch induction range using the power boost setting. I tested with 5.5 gallons of water, no insulation or lid. Then I tested with 5.5 gallons and my 5500 Watt ekettle submerged element. Lastly I tested 18 gallon boil in my ekettle 5500 Watt. Here is my data

4000+ Watt induction stove 5.5 gallon
65 degrees start temp
5min 85
9min 95
15min 111
18min 118
21.5min 130
32min 156
36min 163
38min 166
40min 171
48min 183
54min 189
60min 193
64min 196
66min 199
70min 199
75min 200

5500 Watt ripple hot water heater element 5.5 gallon

68.9 start temp
4min 94
8min 119
13min 154
17min 178
22min 202
25min full boil

Hot water element again
18 gallons
114 start temp

15min 142
23min 156
36min 179
56min boiling

I really wanted to use an induction in my herms system for the bk but it didn't work nearly as well in my test so I'm thinking it might just be too much of a compromise.

IMG_20150528_193632.jpg

IMG_20150528_220740.jpg

Be a good idea to get it checked out while the cook top should draw a little under 16 Amps. 3500/220=~15.9 Amp the breaker protects the wire. 25 Amp breaker would be 10 Gage.

Not only the wire gauge in question, but the receptacle itself too.

I speculate that is a dedicated, single receptacle branch circuit. It appears to be a 6-20R which is 20A rated. My understanding of NEC is that a single receptacle on a circuit must be rated not less than the circuit rating.

Not only the wire gauge in question, but the receptacle itself too.

I speculate that is a dedicated, single receptacle branch circuit. It appears to be a 6-20R which is 20A rated. My understanding of NEC is that a single receptacle on a circuit must be rated not less than the circuit rating.

There are two of these receptacles on this circuit.

In this case I don't believe that changes anything. Multiple 15A receptacles are permitted on 20A circuits, but that is the only common household exception for receptacles rated less than the circuit.

The unit has a 15-amp fuse inside, so I don't think it should be drawing more than 15 amps.

I finally pulled the trigger on the Advantco 3500 induction burner, and ran a test yesterday.

This is 7 gallons of water in a Bayou 1044 kettle, uninsulated and uncovered. The Bayou 1044 is non-magnetic, yet seemed to work just fine.

Time, Temp, Rate Of Rise
0, 66
5, 78, 2.4
10, 90, 2.4
15, 104, 2.8
20, 116, 2.4
25, 129, 2.6
30, 142, 2.6
35, 153, 2.2
40, 164, 2.2
45, 174, 2.0
50, 183, 1.8
55, 192, 1.8
60, 200, 1.6
70, 212, 1.2

Overall, it wasn't bad. If I had a lid on the kettle, I'm sure it would have gone faster; especially towards the end when it was visibly steaming.

Also boiled off 1.1 gallons after a 60 minute boil. I had the burner on 3500 watts the whole time.

So I have a question regarding wire gauge and voltage drop.
I plan to run a dedicated line from my panel to my garage specifically for this cooktop. I was hoping to use 12 gauge for the roughly 70 ft run but have a feeling I'd need 10 gauge or larger (suggestions, the 10 gauge is almost double the cost, but I also don't want to burn the house down:D).
I will eventually put a 20A breaker on the panel for this, but for now I was just going to plug it into the 10-30 dryer receptacle for a few weeks until I get the panel all cleaned up and ready.

Back