will higher fermentation temps hurt in secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigplunkett

Reaction score
So my wife is tierd of my beers in the bath with ice bottles to keep it around 72 and tierd of keeping the house the low 70s its been a week since i pitched i have no more bubler action will higher temps cause any problems in clean up. One os a graf cider with wlp 001 the other is a brown ale with 002 i live in North California so right now its in the 100s almost every day

Last edited:
What will the average temperature be while they are in the secondary? You don't want it to be too much higher than what it was in the primary but it isn't as critical as the temperature regulation for the initial stage of fermentation.

-Jeff

I don't think it makes a damn bit of difference once primary is over...... it's the same process as takes place in bottle conditioning and aging. Off flavors come primary from the reproductive phase......... and that's long over.

H.W.

I have done that with a few beers when I needed to make room in my fermentation fridge - after primary fermentation was done, I moved it to our basement to finish up at room temperature (70-75 degrees), I did not notice any bad effects from doing this.

Back