Fermentation Temp/WLP 670

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NoBrewsIsBadNews

Reaction score
So this is my first time using WLP 670 and I read some wide ranging opinions on fermentation temp for it, everywhere from mid 60s up to 80+. Sources were this site (of course), White Labs site, and a couple other forums. I ended up pitching at ~70 with the goal of letting it self rise to mid 70s. Well, I underestimated my drafty ass apartment and here's what happened:

Sunday: Pitched at ~70 at 4:30PM, by 10:30 it was bubbling
Monday: bubbling like crazy, had to keep refilling airlock with sanitized water to ensure it wouldn't empty out. switched to blow-off tube in evening and moved to warmer room as it had fallen to ~68
Tuesday: temp was ~64 in the morning so I placed a heating pad underneath it. when i got home from work it had risen to ~78 so i switched the heating pad to low.
Wednesday: it has risen to just about 80 so I turned off the heating pad.

Questions:
is this type of fluctuation ok, from 70 to mid 60s to high 70s? I know saison yeasts typically like and do well in higher temps, just worried about the changes.

should i try and keep it at its current temp until it's visibly done fermenting? that was my goal with shutting off the heating pad, was going to put it back on low intermittently to keep the temp steady. right move?

any and all recommendations/anecdotes/derisive comments are welcome. thanks!

If you are brewing a Saison, I would try to keep it near the 80 degree mark. If you are doing a Belgian ale - Golden Ale for example, I would have shot for about 70 degrees throughout. You have been within range so it should be good. I have not read that any poor flavors are created at either end of the range with this yeast. I have not used it though.

I suggest that you start every fermentation with a blowoff tube installed, unless you have a lot of headspace in your fermenter. It could save cleaning krausen off your ceiling!

Thanks for the swift reply!

And yeah, my buddy had my blow off tube so I had to improvise. I still figured I'd be ok cause I do have a huge amount of headspace in the fermenter and the krausen hasn't risen up...it's just that the yeast is a giant monster and drove my twin chamber airlock crazy.

Thanks again for the tip!

Back