Best option for fermentation temp's while I'm away

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mothman

Reaction score
I've got a batch of Pale Ale fermenting, I used Nottingham yeast.

I've had it going at between 61 (at the start) and 65 (during vigorous fermentation) in a Coolbrewing Fermentation cooler bag.

This coming weekend (Friday morning until Sunday night) my family and I are out of town.

At that point, Friday, the fermentation will be at about it's 5th day (pitched last Sunday afternoon), and I think a lot of the fermentation will have completed by then. It was going strong on Monday and Tuesday, and this morning it has settled right down, krausen starting to fall back, airlock settling down, etc. I'm thinking by Friday it will be pretty calm.

I'm wondering what my best course of action is...

Should I put extra ice in the cooler before we leave Friday, potentially dropping the beer down to, I don't know, maybe as low as 50-55F over that first day (I'm guessing), then it will slowly ramp back up over the 3 days I'm gone as the ice melts? (hopefully up to no higher than high 60's)

Or should I keep the normal amount of ice I'm using to keep it in the low to mid 60's, and not worry about it ramping up to room temp (70-75F)?

Thoughts?

by the 5th day nottingham has done almost everything and is just in a cleanup mode. I would let the temps free rise.:D

Most off flavors from high fermentation temps occurs in the first three days. I'd treat it like any other beer the morning you leave, add your last bit of ice and let it free rise after that. Cold crashing could stall fermentation and leave you with an under attenuated beer.

Back