Will filtering beer during bottling affect carbonation? (Pics)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

level60

Reaction score
hi,

so i've filtered the beer during bottling, will this effect carbonation?

I'm worried coz the beer is so clear now in the bottle, I might have filtered all the yeast. Without yeast in the bottle there will be no carbonation am i right??

If this is the case should I open the bottles and add some yeast?? or just leave it alone, am I worrying too much?

Thanks

Pic shows left 3 bottles clear vs right bottle yeast left over:

IMG_5750.jpg

Depends on how you filtered the beer.
Beer yeast is about 5-10 micron in size. If you filtered out particles smaller then 10 microns then you will have filtered out a good number of your yeast.

If you used a coffee filter or a fine mesh, then your beer SHOULD have enough yeast to carbonate the beer. SHOULD depends on a number of other factors, but I would say overall your ok.

Also assuming you used a priming sugar, a small amount of yeast will form in the bottles even when there wasn't one when you bottled.

Those aren't water bottles are they? I'm not sure water bottles are capable of handling carbonated (or carbonatING) liquids. You might be asking for a mess.

To clear yeast a 1 micron filter is needed. You'll need to carbonate if your filter is 1 micron. If you can, drop the beer to 28 F before filtering. The filter will stay cleaner. I use a 6 plate filter and start with a 10 and final with a 1.

Not trying to hijack the thread but what is the method used to filter beer before bottling? My friend filters his beer but he uses co2 and kegs to push the beer through the filter.

Beer in clear plastic bottles? Why? Looks like you are asking for skunky bottle bombs.

I also don't understad the allure of filtering if you're not force carbing.

Issues: Clear bottles will skunk. Water bottles (except sparkling water) will not hold pressure (nor wine bottles). If you do actually filter the yeast out, they will not carbonate. Look up How to Brew or something like that so you get an idea of how the process works--the 'why' behind the instruction on a kit.

Thanks for all the advise.

Clear bottles will be fine as long as they're stored in a dark environment right? I store all bottles inside a cartoon box in a dark room, some in 1.5L water bottles and some in 750ml brown PET bottles.

I filtered with a mesh because the hops teabag is damaged and hops are floating around,

Cheers guys

Thanks for all the advise.

Clear bottles will be fine as long as they're stored in a dark environment right? I store all bottles inside a cartoon box in a dark room, some in 1.5L water bottles and some in 750ml brown PET bottles.

I filtered with a mesh because the hops teabag is damaged and hops are floating around,

Cheers guys

Possibly. However those bottles are not meant to hold pressure.

I'd put those bottles in Rubbermaid tub or something. They may or may not work. But you might as well be prepared for a potential mess.

Filtering and natural carbing to not mix. It's pointless to filter it anyway if you are naturally carbing. No matter what you do there is going to be sediment. If you are going to filter then you want to filter first then force carb. That is the only way to get a crystal clear beer. Just make the beer right and natural carb. It tastes and makes a better head anyway. If you get some chill haze so what?

I have 5 bottles from the first batch stored in these bottles for a month now without problem, they are just like pepsi bottles.

Your type of bottle makes no difference. Plastic bottles are fine. They'll hold the C02 as wel as anything else if not better.

I don't like beer in plastic bottles, just because it "seems wrong" plastic is for soda, and should not even be used for that, IMHO!
However, I have never seen a plastic bottle that can't hold more than 120PSI, and many can hold more than double that, easily.
Playing with kids we make "bottle rockets" using water filled (partially) bottles of any description, and pressurize them to 120PSI. and even higher when the kids are not there ;)
I don't know what pressure a carbonating beer is though.

I have 5 bottles from the first batch stored in these bottles for a month now without problem, they are just like pepsi bottles.

In other words, if you are trying to filter it to the point to where it is as clear as a ****ty macrobrew then you aren't going to do it naturally. They get it as cold as **** to get all the particles to the bottom then they force filter it. Once they have a clear brew with nothing but alcohol and hardy any taste they force carbonate it then shove it into a bottle.

You are never going to achieve that without money and power. If I were you I'd be as happy as I could be with as clear a beer as I could get naturally. The clearer the ber you make without filtering, shows how good you make beer. I'd be striving for that if I were you. **** filtering.

I also fail to see the point in filtering home brew, but filtering it and then naturally carbing it is just a waste of time and money.

Guys, he's just filtering out the hops. Maybe he should wait for those to drop anyway, ,but using a mesh won't strain out yeast but will strain out other stuff from poor transfers, etc.

Re: plastic bottles, some are meant for pressure, some aren't. Some (newer eco-concious water bottles with really thin plastic) will just expand under pressure--I freeze them for my ferm cooler. Soda/carbonated water bottles will hold pressure.

Not trying to hijack the thread but what is the method used to filter beer before bottling? My friend filters his beer but he uses co2 and kegs to push the beer through the filter.

Yes, that really is the only way to filter beer and not oxidize it.

There are some wine filters that don't use co2, just a pump, and they would work too but I don't now exactly how they work. They are called "plate filters".

"Filtering" though a mesh or a screen isn't really what is referred to as filtering, if that makes sense!

Usually it's a 1 micron cartridge and the beer is pushed through it with co2.

Since yeast are microscopic, there isn't any way to remove them besides with a 1 or .5 micron filter set up.

Your type of bottle makes no difference. Plastic bottles are fine. They'll hold the C02 as wel as anything else if not better.

Are you serious? If these are water bottles, they will NOT hold CO2 well.

Some plastic bottles work fine. Some explode.

Thanks again for all the advise,

I'm now putting the boxes containing these water bottles into the shower tub, will report back in a couple of weeks. Also got one out from the first batch and its in the fridge now, will report back how it goes, Cheers

here's the update...

no skunk, no exploding bottles, carbonation fine, no head, taste pretty good

IMG_5786.jpg

IMG_5787.jpg

IMG_5789.jpg

Back