Will beer freeze in lines?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atietyen

Reaction score
I suppose the answer is yes but id like to throw some variables out there to decide how to build a kegerator. I have a Kelvinator fridge from the 70s or so that works great. Id like to turn it into a double keg kegerator. The problem is the handle to the fridge is horizontal right where the taps would be perfect. The option is above (great but....) or below which would require me to almost bend over. Going above would require me to remove the freezer doors and running the lines right below the freezer compartment and curving up into the shanks that would be somewhat in the freezer part. (these old fridges are like mini fridges with the freezer and fridge being in the same compartment) If i went that way would I run into problems with beer freezing in my line? If I turn the fridge to a warmer setting would that take way from the fridges ability to cool the fridge effectively.(keep in mind no freezer doors=exposed freezer=cooler temps in fridge) I also have a temp controller as this was my lagering fridge.

Just want some opinions before I drill permanently holes from people that know more then me.

Cheers!

You would be better off using this type of fridge for lagering,in my opinion, or mount from the side. Lot off effort into a fridge that may not last much longer or get a piece of pipe insulation over the hose or shelf ..................my.02

Back