Keezer freezing need help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

storytyme

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I need some help. I just completed a keezer build. I feel like I am an experienced builder as this is my 4th one. This one is the smallest one yet. Only fits 3 kegs barely. Brand new freezer. Ink Bird controller. Plugged freezer in pre-build and worked great. Post build and force carbonating my first keg and it turned on great. Next morning probe read 26 degrees. Beer slushy. I played around with it. Increased temp to 38 degrees on the InkBird. I have never put a DIY paintcan heater in a kegerator before so I left that in my fermentation chamber. The probe is attached to a beer can at the bottom of the keezer. So I set it at 38 and come back and the temp is at 17F degrees! Freezer is still running. All my settings are exactly the same as my other keezers. Is all this due to it being such a small space inside? Other thoughts? Thank you in advance!! Cheers!!!

If the freezer was still running (i.e. still electrically powered) when the measured probe temp was below the setpoint (maybe "TS" on the inkbird), then the controller is malfunctioning, i.e. failing to shut off the cooling relay. This would have nothing to do with the size of the keezer.

Is the freezer plugged into the "heating" side of the controller? Is controller calling for heat but turning on the freezer...

View attachment 822087

Attachments

• 1686398069442.png
    1686398069442.png
    5.9 MB · Views: 0
probe placement is key. All the cooling coils are in the walls. Your kegs are likely in direct contact. If your probe is stuck to the keg side opposite of the freezer walls, that beer might be reading warmer, making the freezer continue to freeze. Plus ambient air inside is likely warmer than the freezer walls. Air is a poor conductor of heat/cold. Direct contact is a good conductor.

I had issues of slushy beer when I had my probe in between kegs or not next to the walls/cooling coils.

Either raise the set point a few degrees to compensate for your probe's location or relocate the probe.

I would suggest placing the probe in a water bottle with some coolant/anti-freeze and place in the bottom of the keezer near a wall. The liquid will be more stable and what you really want to know is the liquid temps, not the air temps.

Latest posts

Back