Wild Yeast Experiment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigJoe5313

Reaction score
I always liked the idea of wild yeast. I do have one batch of unpasteurized cider brewing right now with nothing added to it. Can't wait for the outcome of that. Long story short I now want to try some wild yeast but without the risk of loosing 5 gallons of cider every time I do it. Plus when I get something I like I can keep it and reuse batch after batch. So I was reading different ways to get wild yeasts and figured what was best for me. This seemed to be the best way with smallest risk. Basically have to buy organic apples and peel the skin off, add it to some apple juice and give it time. So I just wanted to share my little experiment with you guys. I'll try to update it every day or two for those interested.

DSC07135.jpg

If culturing wild yeast, there are two important things to note. The first is that apples will contain many different strains of wild yeast, and normally one will become dominant. This can be very random, and even using two apples from the same batch can yield different results.

The second is that yeast is regional, and not reflective of the apple type. Two separate apple types from the same orchard are likely to produce the same yeast culture.

Cool, I was just trying to give you advice because the title said you were experimenting with wild yeast. From the photo it looked like you might be trying to get different yeasts from different apple types.

I know nothing about the types of yeasts cultured off apples, this is new to me and I would be interested in trying it. What does the yeast ferment like? Does one use it just for making cider/mead/other fruit brews?

I have a 1 gallon batch going at home just from home pressed apple juice, it was bubbling almost as quick as when I add yeast... Think my apples may have a lot of natural yeast in... Whether that is good or bad yeast will be found out around xmas :mug:

Back