Wild hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hotbeer

Opinionated Newb
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Since I recently got closer acquainted to what hops actually look like, I'd swear I've seen hops growing wild along several sections of a trail I ride my bike on frequently.

Of course it won't be till much later after they start to make their flower that I'll know more certainly.

Any thoughts on using them for a batch of beer just to see what if?

Although reading some more, it sounded like it might be less of a great thing since these probably won't be plants that are predominately female and the flower will be fertilized. Seeds evidently might produce off flavors. Badly off? What are the thoughts of y'all on that?

More just curiosity. I don't live where I can grow my own hop plants. Thought using the wild grown stuff near me might just be an interesting novelty brew every now and then.

I’ve never brewed with hops that have seeds but many on here have and it’s fairly common seeing them defend the practice. I’d probably give it a go but then again, I play loose and fast sometimes (aka lazy and worry infrequently).

I haven't done but just cursory reading on the subject. It seemed to me that hop plants have an inclination to be mostly female or mostly male. I'd assume those that grow hops and those that sell hop plants to grow will be mostly or all female. If there is such a thing with hop plants.

Supposedly the seeds lead to more unpredictable results and/or off flavors. And seed will be less an issue if there are few to no male hop plants.

But regardless, if they do turn out to be hop plants on the trail, then I'll probably "give it a go" as you said.
I’ve never brewed with hops that have seeds but many on here have and it’s fairly common seeing them defend the practice. I’d probably give it a go but then again, I play loose and fast sometimes (aka lazy and worry infrequently).

Latest posts

Back