Whym promises beer in 24 hours!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With flippant sailor take like this, you sir, can consider yourself uninvited to my next rooftop gathering.

gnZaN5b.gif

Damn that had to hurt.

One could buy; hopped extract kit. and bottled water.

Here are some hopped extracts!

Then boil water (1 gallon), shut off heat reconstitute, stirring in extract, then top off to 2.5~3 gallons of ice cold bottled water and ferment with yeast that comes with the extract kit .

It would be a higher gravity fermented concentrate that could be watered down with steeped grains and then aroma hops.

Use a Better Bottle with racking attachment.

http://www.better-bottle.com/

Weeks later fill your Whym Jug with the base beer and add the steeped grains with aroma hopped water. Carbonate.

You are basically doing a blend that old European breweries do. Namely small Belgian Breweries making lambics, oud bruins and a few other styles. But i think they are blending a high OG and low OG fermented beers.

One could buy; hopped extract kit. and bottled water.

Here are some hopped extracts!

Then boil water (1 gallon), shut off heat reconstitute, stirring in extract, then top off to 2.5~3 gallons of ice cold bottled water and ferment with yeast that comes with the extract kit .

It would be a higher gravity fermented concentrate that could be watered down with steeped grains and then aroma hops.

Use a Better Bottle with racking attachment.

http://www.better-bottle.com/

Weeks later fill your Whym Jug with the base beer and add the steeped grains with aroma hopped water. Carbonate.

You are basically doing a blend that old European breweries do. Namely small Belgian Breweries making lambics, oud bruins and a few other styles. But i think they are blending a high OG and low OG fermented beers.

I mean... I'm pretty sure the carbonation kit they're selling is just this:
https://www.morebeer.com/products/mancan-ss-minikeg-growler-serving-system-128-flex.html

Ignoring the fact many are pushing beer from start to finish in 5-7 days if they keg! I bottle condition and have pushed it to 12 days!

Maybe, but they are marketing it with homebrew in mind since they claim "WHYM beer takes 30 minutes to build and is ready to drink in 24 hours. Traditional homebrewing takes at least 4 weeks."

Even the more stubborn of us homebrewers have already acknowledged that, in theory, this would be a good way try hop varieties and experiment. However, it's probably cheaper and more practical to join a homebrew club or research the commercial beers you've tried.

Ignoring the fact many are pushing beer from start to finish in 5-7 days if they keg! I bottle condition and have pushed it to 12 days!

I don't know about you guys but freshly forced-carbed beer is not that good my opinion. Even it's it's been aged for a time in secondary.

It has the harsh taste of co2. That's not very saturated, it competes with subtle beer flavors.

I think they would be better off marketing a Randle like a beer Keurig. Sell the base beer and the flavor additives; Carmel toffee, chocolate, roast, and hop varieties. But it'd have to be double Keurig. One for malts and one for hops.

Hmm... Make a pale ale.... At kegging time put an oz of cascade pellets in Keurig pod. Push a large cup through. Then pitch that as I siphon to the keg.

I keep wanting to call it Qhym!!!

Their marketing slogan could have been, "Get Qhym for him for Christmas!"

"He'll love you for it!"

"And he won't have to keep it in the garage"

I think it's going to be a lot like the Soda Stream that is currently gathering dust in our pantry (other than the occasional now-and-then that I use it to force carb a beer sample). Actually, it's gathering dust right next to our Keurig coffee maker, which is also just as useless, and has gone through the same life cycle around here. It's going to get a HUGE response, people are going to go ape over it. THEN, the Whym will end up sitting unused in the pantry, right next to everyone else's Soda Streams and Keurigs.

The shine will wear off. They'll realize they're taking time and energy to make a beer that is basically the same as the beer they're buying at the store.

THEN, someone will do the math (as others have suggested). They'll realize what it's REALLY costing to "make" a beer that is the same as the one they can buy off the shelf, for about half the price. That'll put a quick end to it.

So, fine: let the haters hate, let the buyers buy. Worst part for all of us is going to be dealing with smug buddies who think they're one-upping us with this crap.

Says it's a six pack worth.

A six pack.
For $80.
:confused:

My LHBS sells grain at 50cents/lb. Two ounces of pre-packaged hops cost $3.50. One pack of dry yeast is maybe $6 tops.
That's what it would cost me to make three gallons of beer.
That calculates - for me - about $1 per 22oz. bottle. That's still around less than half of what it would cost me to buy the same amount of store-bought beer.

The thermometer is used to ensure boil temperatures are in an acceptable range, usually 180– 240° F, since the hops and malts you'll be using are sensitive materials.

Wait... what???

*LOL*

Also:

Why reserve now?

A very limited run of 200 is available
Get the kit at the early adopter price of $79.99
Be a part of a community that help shape the next release

So, the next "run" will likely cost more than $80... hard pass all around. Sheesh.

Fact is, there's nothing InBev could/would sell that some people would believe in. If it were not for A-B a lot of you would never have started drinking beer, and you have to do that before you decide to brew it.

This to me is like Mr. Beer. If it brings more people into brewing, I'm happy to see it happen.

Anyway, something I've not seemed mentioned so far is interesting:

Interesting ... I assume there's got to be some geographic restrictions here.

Oddly enough I took up homebrewing beer before I ever really took up drinking beer. I was a cider guy until I started making cider and then I branched out from there

Some folks make bad beer after spending lots of money on "good" kits. Some folks make bad beer and are inspired to do better next time. I think the latter will always be inspired to do better no matter where they start, where the former will always likely be disappointed that nothing in this life worth doing is worth learning.

I would have never thought that about Dave and still don't but your welcome to your opinion

Back