why?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nikkimac1027

Reaction score
Why is brewing a "man's sport"??

I've gotten some of the craziest looks from people when i tell them my passion. And you can forget about my friends understanding!
**takes a sip of a beer, crinkles their little nose, shakes their head a little, and says "ewww"..."thats' nasty, i'll have a sex on the beach instead"

I've invited people over our house to have beer tastings, and for holidays, in which at this time, i whip out some good brews, so we sit around and have a good time and talk about the brews, but none of them comment towards me. they discuss towards my husband! And see the thing is, i "taught" my husband everything he knows about really good beer. That man started me out, but he deployed (iraq's a dry country)- leaving me to trek forward on my own, and surpass him. now i'm showing him the ropes!

so, my question is to you... why? and what the hell can i do to get people to take me for serious?

what the hell!

How very strange. I can't imagine not speaking to the expert on the topic. Perhaps if your husband were to back you more as the resident expert you'd fare better.

I know exactly what your talking about.

My main passion is quilting but when my friends come over and I take out my newest quilt they are impressed by "my wife's work". Then when I tell them I did it, they laugh and hit me. I've just come to terms with it being a cruel world.

Thats true, my crosss-stich is never commented on when I am in the house. Of course the wifes building skills are always talked about.

I know what you mean......

It doesn't matter to me anymore, for the most part. I know good beer, I make good beer, and I drink good beer. I make ok wine, though. The only other brewer I personally know is a woman also. All of my friends know that I'm the "beer person" and I don't worry about the rest.

I also hunt and fish and that's really not so unusual where I live so I fit right in.

dibby33 said:
Thats true, my crosss-stich is never commented on when I am in the house. Of course the wifes building skills are always talked about.

I feel your pain! Nobody credits me for my amazing knitting prowess! They just assume it was the wife. You should see the '75 Blazer she just rebuilt. I did the most darling curtains for it.

OK, really. Brewing is just a man's sport, ask Yooper Chick. She's all woman, but more of a man than many of us here. The Chick kills things as a hobby. I'd credit her with the beer first anyday of the week.

Just keep on brewin' and let the guests keep putting their feet in their mouths. They'll get over it in time.

This is the trouble with the hobby, it's not for casual people. Anyone who's had good beer knows the passion, and should have more respect for the Lady who takes it up. Good for you! my wife has tried several times to "like it" but it's just not her thing. If more Ladies drank beer, you'd probably get more legitimate looks....judging by your photo in Hawaii...you probably don't have any concern getting other looks :)

I think it rocks. Your husband is lucky. I mean c'mon, a wife who would brew me a craft beer just cuz she loves to?

I happen to have a passion for cooking. As such, I do ALL the cooking...ALL the grocery shopping....ALL the prep and cleaning.

When we entertain, we don't get anyone declining our invites because of my food. Now I'm trying to leverage that reputation to get them enthused about homebrew.

I wonder what the common denominator is for the Homebrewing persona.

They like to cook?
They like to create?
They're frugal?
The like everything "beer"?

It would be interesting if we (by we I mean the HBT Mods) could put together a quick questionaire to assemble some common traits of Homebrewers.

I take every home brewer seriously. How can gender, color, religion, or any other difference affect the the outcome of your brew? All of us have the capability to make great beer.I've tasted home brews from women that were outstanding and were better than a lot of the mens beers.
The only thing I could tell you is it will take time and education. Maybe you could invite some folks over to watch you brew sometime. That would surely open their eyes.:mug:

It's a bit like being female and going to buy a car. Even if you make it clear that you know more about cars than the salesman, inevitably he's convinced that you want a car that matches your shoes, and points out the makeup mirror at least five times. Who gives a damn? Tell me about the engine! :mad:

Lorena- you are the ultimate! brew, fish, hunt, what dont you do girl?! Your husbands a lucky man!

Bernie Brewer- that's what i'm saying!

You know, Richbrewer, honestly, i'd love to have every single person i meet, to be just like that. Just out for the originality of the craft and the appreciation of the "sport". i wish there were more people like you.

anyways, i guess it's just time, i doubt this is just a "man's thing". i'll never understand that rationality, but hell............

Bernie Brewer said:
Tell all those people that in ancient egypt all brewers were women.

Exactly. All the ancient artifacts that depict the practice of brewing, show women with the open fermented pots, carrying the items, and others of them working breads into pots. And the residual traces found inside the broken pots artifacts were proven to be ancient beers. So far, it seems women were the first brewmasters.

On the other issue of a woman brewing, if I were someone that one enjoyed drinking beer, and didnt know how to actually make beer. And a woman told me thats what her passion was, to brew beer, I would be in awe, and would think that was the coolest thing. So, thats my opinion on that. :D

nikkimac1027 said:
Lorena- you are the ultimate! brew, fish, hunt, what dont you do girl?! Your husbands a lucky man!

Bernie Brewer- that's what i'm saying!

You know, Richbrewer, honestly, i'd love to have every single person i meet, to be just like that. Just out for the originality of the craft and the appreciation of the "sport". i wish there were more people like you.

anyways, i guess it's just time, i doubt this is just a "man's thing". i'll never understand that rationality, but hell............

Actually, I don't really get much appreciation around here- most women I know prefer shopping as their sport. I believe they all think I'm slightly odd- but that's ok.

My husband is into the great outdoors as well (he's a wildlife biologist), so we have a great time together. He said he married me because I'm just like a guy except with big t!ts. I'll take that as a compliment, I guess.......:D

Keep on brewing nikki- one of these days we women brewers will take over the world!

It's odd how some crafts have done a gender-swap in the modern era. As has been mentioned, brewing was more of a woman's thing in past days. Another example is knitting, which by and large is seen as a female hobby now but centuries ago it was a man's craft with guilds and everything. Heck, I believe even during wars in the early 20th century disabled soldiers were put to work making socks for the front line troops.

Yooper Chick said:
He said he married me because I'm just like a guy except with big t!ts. I'll take that as a compliment, I guess.......:D !

Not going to go there. Nope, nah, uh ah.

OK, I can't help myself. Let's see.

1. Likes to hunt and fish
2. Can brew great beer
3. Has big t!ts

OMG. If I was a girl, I'd be a Lesbo from Venus. :cross:

Seriously, your man is one lucky FSOB!

Billions of dollars have been spent convincing stupid guys that cheap, tasteless swill and acting like idiots will get you the "babes". The "babes" avoid said swill and the guys who drink it, hence all beer.

As far as your female friends go, I suspect they either don't like beer at all or are reacting to the high bittering and hopping levels common in homebrew. If the former, not much can be done, unless you want to branch out into meads and wine. If the latter, make a Mild, a Golden or a fruit wheat. No matter how skilled you are, people won't appreciate your hobby until you make something they like.

Someone can hand me the best Belgian Duppel in the world and my reaction will probably be, "An excellent example of the style, but not to my tastes." On the other hand, I like some low gravity Belgians.

I really don't think that a strange reaction from a guy would be anything but latent, unacknowledged jealousy. I mean, think about it. You are out on a Saturday night having a few with the boys after SWMBO had you mowing lawns, fixing sinks, cleaning garages, etc. (when you really should have been finishing that keggle) and some woman at the bar is telling you about how she is beat from racking an IPA, boiling up an Oatmeal Stout, and cleaning out a few cornies for next weekends brews. I'd fall off the barstool personally, but I bet your average guy just think of how he's going to go home, have to sleep on the couch because SWMBO is uncomfortable in the crowded bed then sneak a few homebrews from the kegerator latenight. That entire time, said male is going to be wondering why all women couldn't be like that homebrewing mirage back at the bar.....

Tx and david are right on here. Men get the same crap with 'woman' hobbies. Also, men buy into stuff like the Michelob Ultra ads where ripped, olympic-shape athletes run track, do extreme sports and hang out with beautiful women while chugging barely-beer. It's a sad, self-defeating illusion.

Brew on, and welcome to the board!!!! :tank:

david_42 said:
On the other hand, I like some low gravity Belgians.

I know what you mean, the bigger ones are just too darned heavy :D. All joking aside my House Ale is an example of this or rather 'shall be'. The verdict is still out on this one. I like my recipe, just wondering if it is really what I was shooting for.

TxBrew said:
I know exactly what your talking about.

My main passion is quilting but when my friends come over and I take out my newest quilt they are impressed by "my wife's work". Then when I tell them I did it, they laugh and hit me. I've just come to terms with it being a cruel world.

:fro:

You sir are a true Metrosexual.

Yeah, some people just won't understand. I find that the more my tastes become removed from mainstream ideals, the more alone I am.

I have think that female brewers are great, any man should appreciate that! On the other hand, female pilots... I dunno! :D

Pol

why ask why......

if you give someone a damn good beer that you made, and they cant handle a fact that a woman brewed it....well **** em, don't give them anymore

Ive always had thoughts of my daughter growing up and carrying on my obsession with brewing.

Funny little world we live in. Years ago, I was a pretty decent pool shot. Not awesome, but I was never afraid to play for money, beer, whatever. I never hesitated to tell anyone who asked that it was my SISTER that taught me everything I will ever know about pool. She used to delight in beating men at the pool table, still does, and she can still kick my a$$ anytime esp since I haven't gotten my cue out of the closet in prolly 15 years:eek:

Why the hell do people think certain activities or bodies of knowledge are gender-specific?

I'm very much an anomaly in that I'm the DAD homeschooling my two kids. Mention "homeschoolers" and you get the reaction of "some plain woman with hairy legs and floor length skirts" from most people.

When I owned an electronic store in the late 80's and early 90's, the biggest offenders of this type of thinking were women customers. They'd walk in and ask my female employees, "Is there a man here that I can talk to about buying a TV?"

I told my employees that they had my full permission to tell these women,"Just wait a minute while I go into the back and strap on a penis, then I'll answer your questions."

Jim Karr said:
Why the hell do people think certain activities or bodies of knowledge are gender-specific?

I'm very much an anomaly in that I'm the DAD homeschooling my two kids. Mention "homeschoolers" and you get the reaction of "some plain woman with hairy legs and floor length skirts" from most people.

When I owned an electronic store in the late 80's and early 90's, the biggest offenders of this type of thinking were women customers. They'd walk in and ask my female employees, "Is there a man here that I can talk to about buying a TV?"

I told my employees that they had my full permission to tell these women,"Just wait a minute while I go into the back and strap on a penis, then I'll answer your questions."

LOL you remind me of a story that I must share, and I have to admit I was guilty of the sexist thinking. Last fall we went on an auto trip out West. Colorado, Utah, Nevada, California, ND, we made a huge loop. Anyway, on the way home, in Wyoming,(can't remember the town) we had a flat. I put on the spare, and we limped to the nearest town to get the regular tire fixed I took the tire in, explained to the girl at the counter that we were on the road etc. She looked at it, saw the nail that I had run over, and says "oh this will only take a few minutes" I have to admit that I expected her to hand it over to one of the guys, but I said nothing when she rolled it to the tire changer and proceeded to fix it herself. I then quietly scolded myself, I should have known better. And the best part was that when she was finished and I asked how much did I owe her, she said"no charge, now y'all have a nice day!"

My opinion... Chicks that brew are hot... period. I don't care if someone is the snaggliest frumpy woman on the face of the planet, in my eyes, she is HOT!!! I always talk to people about beer. Most people I talk about beer are men. The women I talk to about beer either dont' like beer, or i get the oh, that bitter stuff... I don't drink dark beer.... and i think IT'S A LIGHT AMBER BEER!!! ALMOST A PALE ALE AND IT HAS LESS THAN 30 IBUs AND IT'S TOO BITTER?!?! Maybe it's the alure that women who brew are out of the ordinary. Maybe it's the idea of being able to share something that I'm so passionate about with someone of the opposite sex that intrigues me so. I don't know what it is but it's HOT!!! I'll have to admit though I think I would be guilty... If I was at someone's house that I diddn't know and they broke out the homebrew I would most likely ask the man of the house if he made it first. The SECOND it was made clear to me who made the beer I would give credit where it was due... and actually might not stop talking to that unfortunate(for her) brewer.;)

Beer don't care who created it, and neither do I. I'll talk beer to a wall if it'll stand still long enough, but unfortunately, after about 6 beers they start running away. Then I'm left talking to the ceiling, or the carpet.

In the short time I have been brewing, I have spread my passion for it as much as possible. As such, no less than 15 Army wives have become avid brewers, many surpassing my own meager skills.
Talking beer is a bit trickier, but my own mother can hold her own on hops and IBUs. I guess I got lucky.
Trust me, women want to brew, they just dont know it yet.

Back