Why the slow fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andre3000

Reaction score
My first batch of apple cider went a tad bit vinegary (but still pretty drinkable) and I think that's because of a minor infection due to slow fermentation. I've done two batches now. One with 1272 that took two weeks and I just pitched 3068 and it's appearing to be just as slow. Any time I make an ale the yeast usually rips through in three days. Even the first lager I did only took a week.

I'm using freshly juiced apples from my back yard, variety is maybe either fall red or collet. I sanitize the apples with a starsan and rinse bath. I also sanitize my juicer.

The apples produce fairly low OG juice at 1.038 or so so I bump it with turbinato/dextrose to about 1.050. I add a tiny bit of campden for chloramine treatment in the water I use to dissolve the sugar in but we're talking maybe 1/2 a tablet in 2-3 gallons of water, and I use less than those 2-3 gallons (maybe 1/2 gallon tops) to dissolve the sugar. So in total we're talking far less than a 1/4 tablet in a 3 gallon batch.

Should I add nutrient? Could that little amount of campden be causing issues? It just seems odd that it goes that slow with all that sugar.

Patience. Good cider usually takes at least 6 weeks. Often times I leave it alone for 6 months or more, not that that is necessary, but just to demonstrate the fact that you need more PATIENCE.

Latest posts

Back