why so hoppy!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trogdor447

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm still trying to figure out what put my pumpkin ale over the top with the Hops. It should not be too overly potent as I did the recommended via the recipe. Mt Hod on boil - and cascade at the last 5 minutes. I just sampled it at 21 days and its still ready to kick my arse. Should this ease up a little bit more with bottle conditioning/carbination/cold?

:)

Maybe. Often brews calm down when chilled, and three weeks in the bottle will help too. How much and what AA% were the hops?

Mineral profile of water can dramatically effect percieved bitterness. What do you know about the water used? Did you make any water related additions?

I know a lot about the water I use. I personally have a 40 breeder + 20l sump salt water fish tank. So I make my own RO/DI water that I use for the tank, and of course I started using some for my beer too. So overall there shouldnt be any minerals or anything in my water. Tests out at 0 TDS with my meter.

For my brew i did about 2.2 gallons in the pot for 60 minutes with Mt Hood when it started to boil. Then I added the Cascade for the last 5 minutes. As far as water additions, I just put enough in to bring it up to 5 gallons in my pale. And my gravity reading was only like .002 higher than what they suggested. I don't have that in arms reach or I would get it exact reading for ya.

Mt Hood Profile:
4.0%-8.0%

Cascade
A 6.2% B 6.2%

I added the recommended 2 cans of pumpkin to the pot at the last 10 minutes as well.

I plan to bottle either tonight or tomorrow - Then I'll leave them set for a while and sample one in two weeks.

Steeped grains were carapilis and caramel 10l - 6 lbs of LME

Again it was midwests recipe so if you look at their pumpkin ale might help you get a better idea of the profile. I'm still a novice in the realm of beer :)

The recipe calls for 1 oz of each! As of right now just super hoppy.. there is undoubtedly a bit of citrus flavor pushing through right now. Which it seems like it is standard for the cascade hops profile. My other beers have turned out great thus far. It may calm in bottle/fridge it is still young!

Cant really say its bitter i mean i dont make squint eyes or anything when drinking it.. just flavor profile is strong.

Back