Why no higher end picnic taps?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The first batch will be finished within next week,the attached picture is the taps in workshop.
I estimate they will be sold at www.morebeer.com at the end of this month.

Attachments

• threaded ss picnic tap.jpg
    threaded ss picnic tap.jpg
    264.3 KB · Views: 67
I just saw a stainless picnic tap with a duotight fitting connected in the latest YouTube video from Morebeer about Torpedo kegs (around 2:30)

Last edited:
I used a ball lock faucet tap on my corny keg to check the gravity. I then took it off and rinsed both ends with hot water, cold water and star San while toggling the tap open and closed. Is this an insufficient method? Do I need to force cleaner through it under pressure?

I used a ball lock faucet tap on my corny keg to check the gravity. I then took it off and rinsed both ends with hot water, cold water and star San while toggling the tap open and closed. Is this an insufficient method? Do I need to force cleaner through it under pressure?
I do the same thing all the time. I switch party faucets from corny to corny regularly. But I do a hot water flush for several minutes between kegs. @lumberg I have a 1.6 and 2.6 Torpedo kegs. They are great for multiple uses. IMO you can't go wrong with them.

I do the same thing all the time. I switch party faucets from corny to corny regularly. But I do a hot water flush for several minutes between kegs. @lumberg I have a 1.6 and 2.6 Torpedo kegs. They are great for multiple uses. IMO you can't go wrong with them.

I have one and it's great. I was talking about the stainless tap with mfl threads.

Very interested in the widemouth Torpedoes. I'm sure they'll be pricy. Honestly, I wished the corny keg would go through some sort of 'homebrew renaissance' to make them a bit more friendly to the hobby. Cleaning them is not much of a chore, but the small opening makes it kind hard to get to every part of the keg you want to clean. The posts to me always seem to be the weakest link as they clog very easy when doing transfers from a fermenter, especially with hoppy beers. I've wondered if I could add some sort of "transfer port" connection to the lid for that very purpose to reduce clogging and leave the main posts for intended their purpose. Then with the floating dip tube, the keg only clogs when it runs out of beer. Those cocktail torpedos kind of look like the right step in that direction.

But not to get off subject, now that there is a stainless picnic tap that will work with the Duotight fittings, I'll probably pick one or two to have on hand when they officially come out.

i had a little 5cu ft keezer setup with two 5gal cornys in it but did not want to do the collar thing so just used two picnic setups with a common co2 regulator feeding both kegs with shutoffs so no leak worries.

was cleaning the plastic picnic tap between keg replacement and was disgusted with the growing green mold growing inside the black tap.

so off to internet i went. saw it a morebeer and missed the sale by one day. so by the time i had the shipping and tax it was the same on amazon. so burned a gift card on one and more iphone cords that i seem to burn through and my kids do at record speeds.....

anyway here is the link, its shipped from morebeer, just runs through the amazon machine.....

Amazon.com: Torpedo Keg Beer Faucet | Handheld Picnic Tap | Stainless Steel | Serve Beer On The Go | 1/4" OD barb: Home & Kitchen

I'm looking forward to the threaded ones as a picnic tap seems a lot easier to disassemble and clean than a beer gun (my current dispensing method).

I agree with you. @lumbergh I'm definitely opting for 3 or 4 of the threaded taps with the compression fittings. I always disassemble my picnick taps after use, run hot water thru them and spray the parts with Star San. That keeps them fresh and ready for next use. Looking forward to the SS versions.

By the way,about Torpedo mega mouth keg,as my friend said,the sample kegs had been made well
and confirmed by Morebeer.The first batch will be manufactured in May,I estimate they will appear
in American market this summer. Customer's eyes can see everywhere into the keg easily and a hand can
reach everythere into the keg easily,please see attached 2 pictures:)
There will be 3 gallon,5 gallon,6 gallon7.75 gallon,9 gallon and 10 gallon.

Attachments

• torpedo-mega-mouth-lid.jpg
    torpedo-mega-mouth-lid.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 14
  • torpedo mega mouth keg.jpg
    torpedo mega mouth keg.jpg
    196.1 KB · Views: 13
By the way,about Torpedo mega mouth keg,as my friend said,the sample kegs had been made well
and confirmed by Morebeer.The first batch will be manufactured in May,I estimate they will appear
in American market this summer. Customer's eyes can see everywhere into the keg easily and a hand can

Yes, and starting at only $199!

First batch threaded stainless steel picnic tap will get to Morebeer warehouse by UPS
on about next Monday(May 2),so maybe Morebeer will begin to sell them within next week:)

Is this 100% stainless steel, all internal parts? Or is there plastic on the inside? My picnic taps last a long time. But the problem is the internal plastic mechanism, which has a short life span.

I am the manufacturer's friend,not from Morebeer:)
The inner silicone parts into ss tap are protected by the ss body,there is no strength to break them,
so they can be used for a long long time.Somebodies here have bought the barbed ss picnic taps,
have your inner silicone parts of the taps been broken to now?

I am the manufacturer's friend,not from Morebeer:)
The inner silicone parts into ss tap are protected by the ss body,there is no strength to break them,
so they can be used for a long long time.Somebodies here have bought the barbed ss picnic taps,
have your inner silicone parts of the taps been broken to now?

mine are still going strong! but my plastic taps lasted me 15 years too. :mug:

(they just always felt cheap to pour a drink with! now i pour with style!)

So the inner silicone parts into the ss picnic taps can be used for a long long time.
Even if they are broken after some years,it is very easy for you to change them at very cheap prices:)

So the inner silicone parts into the ss picnic taps can be used for a long long time.
Even if they are broken after some years,it is very easy for you to change them at very cheap prices:)

With the cost of the plastic version so inexpensive, it might be just as easy (cost effective) to throw away and replace the whole thing. That is what we have been doing.

The manufacturer has not got any orders for the inner silicone parts,it means no inner silicone parts
have been broken till now.If Morebeer needs to order the inner parts in future,the manufacturer will
supply the inner parts.Prices of the inner parts are very cheap.

The manufacturer has not got any orders for the inner silicone parts,it means no inner silicone parts
have been broken till now.If Morebeer needs to order the inner parts in future,the manufacturer will
supply the inner parts.Prices of the inner parts are very cheap.

ok :mug:

If that silicone part is something one might remove for periodic cleaning, someone's gonna lose one eventually...

Cheers!

for cleaning, it is stuck in there, and it's tough to get to. and unessacary for cleaning? i just unscrew the top give it a rinse and wipe?

I take the silicone plunger off mine every so often, they just pop off w/out too much work. Probably not needed but given the stuff that can collect on the part I can see, I like to sometimes check the part I can't.

When i break picnic taps it seems to be the hinged area. Thankfully when they break it's in a way that closes the flow instead of allowing it to run.

I have been wanting to replace my beer lines with EVABarrier. So now I am wondering about giving these stainless ones a try (I guess they will be around $20 like the current barb versions), giving the Pluto Beverage Gun a try ($15 for the Stainless / ABS version), or just biting the bullet and adding some real taps to my beer fridge (~$65 each for decent taps and equipment).

The first batch threaded ss picnic taps have got to Morebeer warehouse in CA,
they will take a photo and transfer some to their warehouse in PA,then begin to sell:)

i've been checking morebeer every few days for weeks for them! just deposited $200 in the bank....$50 is going to these if they show up!

As I know,Torpedo mega mouth kegs will have the same diameter with Sanke 1/4 slim keg:10.95” diameter.
about the height include handle,5 gallon :17.80",6 gallon :20.40" ,7.75 gallon :25",10 gallon : 29"
you may consider to leave enough space:)

Missed this post. I know it's older, but is that the confirmed sizes? I was hoping for Slimline versions so I could still fit four kegs in my kegerator (Komos).

Anymore news and/or pics of the mega mouth torpedo kegs? Are they really going to start out at $199 as pointed out below? Thanks.

Yes, and starting at only $199!
Yikes! Hope that's for the 10 gallon, and not the 3.

Torpedo mega mouth kegs are of same diameter with Sanke 1/4 slim kegs,not same with Torpedo
slim kegs, I think there is no any single door kegerator which can hold 4pcs Sanke 1/4 slim kegs:)
I do not know what prices Morebeer will sell them at,
USD199.00 should be the top price of all the volumes:)
The manufacturer will make the first batch well within this month,
so they will appear here in July or August.

well tradgedy was narowly avoided....one of my taps the pastic thing lost some grip, it was spewing beer...i took it apart, and i had to take some broken part of the plstic stem off the bottom...now it's not leaking, but the handle is loose, i might try stretching the spring...

this isn't really a complaint as feedback on a beta version, i still love torpedo! you were willing to make these things for a niche market! :mug: (you know if SS would cost too much for the plunger, it IS out a sight, "pun intended"....what about alluminium? it doesn't touch the beer?

Back