why no concern with off-flavors making pickles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bracconiere

Jolly Alcoholic - In Remembrance 2023
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
just got to thinking, people seem obsessed with off flavors in beer....but when it comes to other fermented foods, no biggy? what gives?

is it the acetic/lactic acid?

Aren't you in enough of a pickle already?? ;)

I don't make pickles, but the ones I like have strong flavors to them already. IMO, it would take something going seriously sideways to produce a bad off-flavor in them.

Now you got me thinking... I do love some sauerkraut... let a jar go a tad too long in the cupboard, but I will likely still eat it next month for Oktoberfest...

Not sure if I have had a discernable difference in any batches of that ever... yes, probably the acetic/lactic acid overwhelming "off" flavors.

Well, pickles can have botulism if you don't do them right. So there *is* a concern about making them properly. After that you really just taste what you put into them.

Oh, and don't overcook them when canning, they get mushy. Yuck.

I enjoy many fermented foodstuffs, like common pickles and cabbage ("Lacto, baby!"), and especially a middle-eastern combination of jarred fermented veggies (peppers, carrots, celery, carrots, cauliflower) known as "torshi", and so on. I acquired the attraction at a very early age as a cultural thing - hey, hang out with the adults and if you don't want to starve you eat what they eat :) - and still make pilgrimages to cultural centers to acquire related products because my Irish spouse doesn't know how to make any of that :D

Which reminds me I need to saddle up the truck and make a run while I still can...

Cheers!

Well, pickles can have botulism if you don't do them right. So there *is* a concern about making them properly.

that's what the salt is for right? like the way i feel about my just pasturized, never sanitized fermenter.......
hey, hang out with the adults and if you don't want to starve you eat what they eat :)

that's why i like hanging out with you! i'm hoping the old 17" LCD panel just ends up getting duct taped to my fridge door and keeping track of how many ounces i've poured! ;) :mug: maybe i could run my diet software on it too! 🤔

Back