Why don't I understand this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waarhorse777

Reaction score
Perhaps my brain is on backwards...

Starting a new Cider Primary tonight and will be using yeast nutrients for the first time (as recommended by others. Thank you!) I'm reading the instructions and I'm totally lost.

Now I'm using the WYEAST 1056 American Ale smack-pack/pouch thingy as well FYI.

"Dissolve Wyeast Nutrient in warm water. Add solution to kettle 10-15 minutes prior to end of boil. "https://www.wyeastlab.com/hb_productdetail.cfm?ProductID=15

What kettle? End of boil? So boil water for 10 min and then add the nutrient?

I was just planning to add the nutrient to a cup of warm water, boil, then slowly add to must.

I apologize for sounding so "green" but could someone clarify? Even 15min on the Google's hasn't returned any sage advice.

That yeast strain is an ale yeast, and Wyeast does make cider yeasts, but those instructions are assuming you're making beer.

No need for a boil with cider, so don't worry! Just add the nutrient right to the must without boiling anything.

Holy Cats! I feel foolish. I've never even looked into brewing beer before and after glancing at the process, it all makes more sense now.

Thank you everyone for your help.

if you want to be a sanitation nazi, you can put the nutrient in a little water and microwave it until the water boils. cool a little then add to the must.

but it's probably overkill. i don't think much can live on nutrient - too dry.

I'm not sure you'd even need yeast nutrient for making cider, unless you're adding a bunch of sugar.

I'm not sure you'd even need yeast nutrient for making cider, unless you're adding a bunch of sugar.

Depends on how fast you want it to finish.

With nutrient: 7-8 days
Without nutrient: about 6 weeks

Just started my first cider last night and forgot about the yeast nutrients. Can I add to cider now or should I let it go?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

While the cider is fermenting and your airlock is bubbling, the head space will fill up with
CO2 so there shouldn't be a problem. Once the bubbling stops, I usually rack it off to 1 gallon glass jugs for longer term aging.

Back