Why bother with stainless?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, I can't belive some people ....... Beer has been being made for a few thousand years, and those that came before us.didn't use SS or AL , and I'd bet they're beer was way better.than.anything around today, craft, and commercial.
Bitten line......... Use what.works good for you.

Beer has been being made for a few thousand years, and those that came before us.didn't use SS or AL , and I'd bet they're beer was way better.than.anything around today, craft, and commercial.

You're a silly ninny.

The biggest reason I have an SS pot is because that's what I ended up with originally. I got a 30 qt pot super cheap ($40 delivered) and it's always suited my needs. If I'd ended up with aluminum, I'm sure it would work for how I brew. I do agree with the part about aluminum being more reactive to certain cleaners, though. Not every material is suitable for all occasions, and SS probably has the broadest set of applications, even though it's certainly pricier as a general rule.

CanadianQuaffer said:
I know aluminum works just fine for brewing and there are no known side affects in any regard for using it, but I must say I find it funny how defensive proponents of aluminum get whenever this debate comes along.

I own a 2010 V6 Camaro and am a member of a Camaro forum and V6 owners almost always react the same way whenever the V6 vs V8 debate comes along.

Aluminum may work just fine, just as my V6 works just fine, but really, at the end of the day, we'd all rather have the V8.

And its the same with the debate between Ford and Chevy. I have a mustang and will defend mustangs to the death over camaros. With that being said I have all SS brewing pots because i find it works better for me. I have a confidence in SS that i don't with AL. I work at a winery and everything is SS. Maybe because i've been using it for going to 8 years on an almost daily bases.

So when you build your rig do you want a Chevy 1500 or Ford F150. Same functionality and both will get the job done just a good as the other but which do you like better.

baddad said:
Wow, I can't belive some people ....... Beer has been being made for a few thousand years, and those that came before us.didn't use SS or AL , and I'd bet they're beer was way better.than.anything around today, craft, and commercial.

I would be willing to bet the farm on the idea that the best beer in history is being made right now and hopefully even better in the future.

I don't think there has been much improvement in beer since Louis Pasteur's book and Hansen's pure yeast culture. The improvements after those are (even) more about money. Stainless is much more durable than enameled steel and wood casks used back then but I doubt it makes beer any better.

Yeah beer has been made for 1000s of years but did you know the success rate back then? Heck they didn't even know what yeast was and how it worked until about 200 yrs ago. It was a cross your fingers and see what happens deal. The exception to that might be monastaries...but guess what - they were very clean compared to most places nowadays. There weren't a lot of people there, they were very clean and really didn't touch each other, they were usually isolated from the public...when you have that environment - it probably would have been difficult to screw things up....but I'm sure it happened.

Also you have to understand that bacteria is a lot stronger nowadays due to antibiotics, mutations...etc. Things are a lot stronger today than they were back then and we're in constant contact with people. As to the containers themselves - the water was cleaner where monastaries were located. We'll never know how the beer tasted....to most Europeans - they fermented wine and beer because the water quality was bad and it was full of toxins. They knew that the liquid that was fermented was somehow better for them vs the water that was available.

To me - it's a very intriguing and almost unbelievable that they could repeat the process and actually have it succeed...but I'm sure they used a portion of the last batch to make the next and there lies the reason why it would work - maybe not always but maybe a good coin flip....there was some active yeast to get the new batch going.

I will agree with most on here with the cleaning aspect and the oxidation. If all you have to do is scrub a little, clean and sanitize...life is good. I would have preferred aluminum but there is just something in the back of my mind that says go with SS and don't worry about it. I know the cooking industry uses Aluminium but cooking is different....there is oil, water...etc. They'll not cook tomato sauce in it...without getting a metal taste. For me it's just better cleaning and some piece of mind.

And its the same with the debate between Ford and Chevy. I have a mustang and will defend mustangs to the death over camaros. With that being said I have all SS brewing pots because i find it works better for me. I have a confidence in SS that i don't with AL. I work at a winery and everything is SS. Maybe because i've been using it for going to 8 years on an almost daily bases.

So when you build your rig do you want a Chevy 1500 or Ford F150. Same functionality and both will get the job done just a good as the other but which do you like better.

What year and model is your 'stang?

A copper chiller left in a SS pot for storage won't eat through the bottom of the pot but in an Aluminum one it can.

Hey relax, I was just having some fun.
Basically just saying that, rightly or wrongly, stainless is "the thing* to aspire to have, just like a V8 Camaro is (compared to a V6)

But I don't know what you posted above even means.

heh I kinda figured I'd have to explain that one.

QFT = "Quote For Truth"

/thread = end thread.

I totally agree with what you said and I don't think anything else needs to be said.

heh I kinda figured I'd have to explain that one.

QFT = "Quote For Truth"

/thread = end thread.

I totally agree with what you said and I don't think anything else needs to be said.

OK, lol, I thought you were telling me off!
I'm not very fluent in "net speak" obviously.

There are recipes available for beers of a bygone age, and people have brewed them with the tools and methods of the time, and they are pretty much undrinkable by today's standards.

We are living in a Beer Renaissance. No finer beers have ever been made.

Back