why are my kegs over carbing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slogger

Reaction score
I've been force carb-ing my kegs. I keep the co2 at 11 psi and eventually(after two months) the beer overcarbs and all I can pour is foam. Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong?

I've been force carb-ing my kegs. I keep the co2 at 11 psi and eventually(after two months) the beer overcarbs and all I can pour is foam. Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong?

That doesn't seem right. Assuming a constant pressure of 11 psi from the beginning at fridge temperatures, the beer simply can't get more carbed up over time.

Either something is happening in the lines/keg that is causing a problem- like hops debris plugging a poppit, the regulator creeping up above 11 psi with time, the temperature rising, etc.

How much beer line are you running, and what size? Make sure your line isn't hanging below the top of the keg.

Either your line is too short to begin with, or you refrigerator is getting colder so there is more co2 being absorbed even though the psi remains the same.

+1 to basic physics. Either your beer is colder than you think (more CO2 has been absorbed = over carbonated) or your lines are too short (too little resistance = foam in your glass).

My lines are plenty long enough, but I wasn't aware that a colder fridge = increased co2. I'll have to turn the temp down and see if that works. Thanks!

My lines are plenty long enough, but I wasn't aware that a colder fridge = increased co2. I'll have to turn the temp down and see if that works. Thanks!

also when you make the fridge colder change the co2 pressure. Purge and then reset a couple psi lower otherwise you are just going to make the problem worse. I wouldn't recommend adjusting the temp warmer it will also make the problem worse if it's already overcarbed.

Dstnly2000 said:
How much beer line are you running, and what size? Make sure your line isn't hanging below the top of the keg.

Does the line hanging below the top of the keg really make a difference?

slogger said:
At what temperature? Beer line length? Faucet or picnic tap?
Yooper said:
That doesn't seem right. Assuming a constant pressure of 11 psi from the beginning at fridge temperatures, the beer simply can't get more carbed up over time.

Either something is happening in the lines/keg that is causing a problem- like hops debris plugging a poppit, the regulator creeping up above 11 psi with time, the temperature rising, etc.
Yup.
Dstnly2000 said:
What does the hanging line have to do with overcarbing?
JRems said:
Either your line is too short to begin with, or you refrigerator is getting colder so there is more co2 being absorbed even though the psi remains the same.
Yup. Ideal Gas Law.
Bobby_M said:
Or one other idea is that the gauge is reading wrong. Maybe 11 on the gauge is really 18.
Wouldn't this problem show at 2 weeks instead of 2 months? Way to think outside the box though.
daksin said:
+1 to basic physics. Either your beer is colder than you think (more CO2 has been absorbed = over carbonated) or your lines are too short (too little resistance = foam in your glass).
Physics don't care. They are always right.
slogger said:
How long? 5-8 feet? Yup. The colder the beer is the more CO2 it can absorb at the same pressure.
Bobby_M said:
How long is "plenty long enough"?
Hopefully in the 5-8 foot range depending on rise.
JRems said:
also when you make the fridge colder change the co2 pressure. Purge and then reset a couple psi lower otherwise you are just going to make the problem worse. I wouldn't recommend adjusting the temp warmer it will also make the problem worse if it's already overcarbed.
Yup. I wouldn't adjust temperature at all. Temperature and pressure determine how the beer is carbonated. Line length and ID determine how it's served. Your lines are where the variable should be.
slogger said:
ya know, plenty!
Without measuring I think I originally put 8' on each line.
That's about right, if not on the long side. Are the lines kinked anywhere? That would cause foaming.
RUNningonbrew said:
Does the line hanging below the top of the keg really make a difference?
I don't think so.

Without measuring, you don't know how much you have. Do the homework once you've asked for help.:D Too much foam is almost always from too short of a hose.
Nope. I'd measured when I installed the taps and if memory serves correct I put 8' lines in. What I meant was without heading to the kegorator and measuring. I have plenty of line. I'm settled that the tempature was too low. Thanks all for the awesome help!

Latest posts

Back