Why a ball valve for sampling on fermenter's? (SS Brewtech)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DroneKeeper

Reaction score
I've been looking pretty hard at the SS Brewtech Chronical Brewmaster for my first conical because I like the idea of the more sanitary nature of the butterfly valves. I can't figure out why they still used a ball valve for the sampling port. Isn't this just asking for a problem/infection after taking a few samples for SG readings?

maybe I'm missing something, but the SS Brewtech Conicals have three valves on the bottom - the dump valve and the racking valve are 1.5" TC butterfly valves. The sampling valve appears to be the same 3/8" ball valve they use on the brew bucket.

The 3/8" is a ball valve because they don't make butterfly valves that small - at that size the butterfly gate and the shaft would take up all the space inside the line. In larger sizes they use butterfly valves instead of ball valves because they are less expensive and easier to keep clean (butterfly valve don't tend to maintain a seal as well, but that's not really an issue in this service.)

For just taking samples, I would also think a butterfly valve would be much larger than you need.

The only reason is cost savings. They already use these on the BrewBucket so it's a part they source and order in bulk (better pricing). I've never liked these used on a fermenter as a ball valve is not sanitary. When the valve is opened and then closed there is liquid that is trapped in the ball between the seals. I also don't like the weld-less fittings on the SS fermenters. The proper way to do it would use a tri-clamp sample valve like the pros use.

Sanitary-Sampling-Valve-stainless-steel-wellgreen-224x300.jpg

SV-17-PERLICK-SAMPLING-VALVES.png

FYI. Just found stainless steel sampling valves online at Ali Express for $10.88 each which is about 1/3 the cost at U.S. Retailers. I just received 2 yesterday and plan to use them on my SS Brewtech Chronicals instead of the upper ball valve. More sanitary, easier to dissassemble and clean and easy to attach a hose to for transfers to kegs. I tried to find the link, but it looks like prices have gone up slightly since I ordered. Still a bargain.

Are you replacing the racking valve or sample valve? If it's a sample valve that will replace the weldless sample valve mind sharing details?

I have the original 7 gallon Chronicals which just have the two valves: the dump ball valve at the bottom and the racking ball valve above it. They don't have a separate sample valve like the brewmaster series. I plan to replace the racking ball valve with a sample valve. Because I already have the rotating racking arm adapter, I will still be able to use the racking arm with the sample valve. That way I can take samples without having to use a ball valve and can transfer to my kegs by attaching a hose to the sample valve and the other end to a ball lock quick disconnect. Using the sample valve eliminates any worries (minimal as they may be) about beer being left inside the ball. The sample valve is also easier to disassemble (no tools needed) and easier to clean. All you do is unscrew the knob until it pulls out of the body.

I thought about connecting the sample valve to the outside of ball valve, but realized there is no real point to doing so because I don't need to remove the sample valve until the fermenter is empty.

sample.jpg

FYI. Just found stainless steel sampling valves online at Ali Express for $10.88 each which is about 1/3 the cost at U.S. Retailers. I just received 2 yesterday and plan to use them on my SS Brewtech Chronicals instead of the upper ball valve. More sanitary, easier to dissassemble and clean and easy to attach a hose to for transfers to kegs. I tried to find the link, but it looks like prices have gone up slightly since I ordered. Still a bargain.

I've been looking forever for a replacement for the sampling valve on my brew bucket; would you mind sharing the link?

https://www.aliexpress.com

Just put in "sampling valve" in the search box and a bunch should come up.

They come from China, so it took mine 2 weeks to arrive, but the prices can't be beat.

Interesting side note. When I bought my 2, they were $10.88 each with free shipping. Now every time I go back to the site, the prices keep going up. Hmmmmm.

I've been looking forever for a replacement for the sampling valve on my brew bucket; would you mind sharing the link?

This won't work on the Brew Bucket. It needs a welded tri-clamp fitting. I was hoping it was a weldless replacement for my fermenter.

SS Brew Tech offers a weldless 1.5" TC fitting it can work you'd have to drill out the sampling valve whole though. I have thought of this as an upgrade as I have butterflies on my concical

I have been using regular triclover ball valves on all 4 of my conicals for years and yet to have an infection from them.... I do believe the reason most homebrewing conicals use them are

1) cost (its an extra $30 they can make by not paying $15 each whole sale from china for the butterfly valves.)

2) They work well and the infection thing in practice is not likely with normal cleaning and sanitation practices

3) They are actually much easier to control them the cheaper butterfly valves with the locking control arm.
one of my conicals has this butterfly valve and I hate using it because the arm accidentally locks in the open position and the flow is very fast.and difficult to regulate without wasting beer vs a ballvalve.

Not everything thats used in a larger commercial setup is as practical (or even desirable) in a home brewing setup.

https://www.aliexpress.com

Just put in "sampling valve" in the search box and a bunch should come up.

They come from China, so it took mine 2 weeks to arrive, but the prices can't be beat.

Interesting side note. When I bought my 2, they were $10.88 each with free shipping. Now every time I go back to the site, the prices keep going up. Hmmmmm.
I have the same tc sampling valve I paid $9 for... the same seller now wants $20 http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sanitary-SS...481005?hash=item5b01c17aad:g:NdUAAOSws65TqWB-

You should see how much the offset tri clover tees were before all these resellers started buying them and selling them as Rims "kits"...

supply and demand has way more to do with cost than actual manufacturing costs... These conicals cost much much less to be made in china than we pay for them.

Does everyone still like these sampling valves for racking/any issues? I want to replace some plated, brass ball valves on my 100L variable capacity tanks.

Back