Who's smoking meat this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PXL_20211126_013044008.jpg

PXL_20211126_013054887.jpg

PXL_20211126_013727895.jpg

PXL_20211126_014727630.jpg

I made up a pastrami the other day.
Started with a corned beef I've had in the freezer since St Paddy's day, soaked it down for a few days to get rid of most of the salt. Seasoned it up with coriander, black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and a few other things. Let that set up fopr a couple days, the on the smoker with hickory and cherry woods. |I'd have preferred to stick all hickory, maybe some oak, but I was running short. |Let it go all day, came out really tasty.
Sorry I don't have any pics, though.
Also threw a fresh kielbasa on while I was at it, that's been munchies for the weekend.

Started with a corned beef I've had in the freezer since St Paddy's day, soaked it down for a few days to get rid of most of the salt. Seasoned it up with coriander, black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and a few other things. Let that set up fopr a couple days, the on the smoker with hickory and cherry woods. |I'd have preferred to stick all hickory, maybe some oak, but I was running short. |Let it go all day, came out really tasty.
Also threw a fresh kielbasa on while I was at it, that's been munchies for the weekend.

I also did a pastrami with a "On Sale Corned Beef" after St. Paddys day. It turned out awesome. I split it up into 4 packs and 3 went into the freezer. I break it out and make Reubens throughout the year. Delicious! Highly recommended.

Sounds almost like the Montreal Smoked Meat recipe that I use. After smoking steam that meat for 60-90 minutes and then slice for sandwiches and you will be in meat heaven!

Sounds almost like the Montreal Smoked Meat recipe that I use. After smoking steam that meat for 60-90 minutes and then slice for sandwiches and you will be in meat heaven!
I kinda based it closer to smoked meat rather than pastrami - my dad is from there and every time we go, a pilgrimage to Schwartz' is a must. Plus, my grandfather worked with a smokehouse and used to bring them back, still warm from the smoker. Even cold it's way better than anything else. Though the seasoning mix was from an online recipe called, "better than Katz's pastrami.

I kinda based it closer to smoked meat rather than pastrami - my dad is from there and every time we go, a pilgrimage to Schwartz' is a must. Plus, my grandfather worked with a smokehouse and used to bring them back, still warm from the smoker. Even cold it's way better than anything else. Though the seasoning mix was from an online recipe called, "better than Katz's pastrami.
Thats cool. When you have your next pilgrimige to Montreal you should also include Smoke Meat Pete's out near the airport area. It has blues music and good smoked meat platters/sandwiches.

We bought a turkey from a local farmer he cut it in half so we had Thanksgiving dinner with half (9 pounds) and today I smoked the other half over apple wood. Also did a pound of salmon for tomorrow but people showed up for afternoon drinks so I'll be smoking another chunk of salmon tomorrow. The 3 pounds of sidemeat was to drip fat on the turkey 20211230_132640.jpg

Attachments

• 20211230_184104.jpg
    20211230_184104.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 17
Wow. The color on that skin! I smoked a whole turkey breast and 2 legs yesterday. Legs were overdone but breast turned out nice. Wish the skin would have crisped up more. Will definitely be doing turkey again.

Wow. The color on that skin! I smoked a whole turkey breast and 2 legs yesterday. Legs were overdone but breast turned out nice. Wish the skin would have crisped up more. Will definitely be doing turkey again.
When I smoke or slow-cook chicken (or pork) and the skin isn't as crispy as I'd like it, I just go at it with a blowtorch. Crisps it up quickly.

When I smoke or slow-cook chicken (or pork) and the skin isn't as crispy as I'd like it, I just go at it with a blowtorch. Crisps it up quickly.

The only thing to be careful of with a torch is to make sure you're doing it over a heat source... I've found using JUST a torch can lead to a tiny amount of the propane flavor lingering, which is not particularly pleasant. The heat of just the torch doesn't always fully combust everything. If you do it over a heat source that additional heat allows the propane to be fully combusted and burned off.

The only thing to be careful of with a torch is to make sure you're doing it over a heat source... I've found using JUST a torch can lead to a tiny amount of the propane flavor lingering, which is not particularly pleasant. The heat of just the torch doesn't always fully combust everything. If you do it over a heat source that additional heat allows the propane to be fully combusted and burned off.
Yes, I always torch over the open fire. Also worthy noting that you shouldn't let the blue part of the flame touch the meat, I always hold it far away to only burn it using the heat blast, and not the flame itself.

As a PSc a blowtorch also torches cheese very nicely that sprinkled over pasta or something similar. I torch it until the cheese melts, bubbles, fizzles and then just slightly starts to brown, and then sprinkle it with coarse salt and some paprika. Amazing!

Yes, I always torch over the open fire. Also worthy noting that you shouldn't let the blue part of the flame touch the meat, I always hold it far away to only burn it using the heat blast, and not the flame itself.

As a PSc a blowtorch also torches cheese very nicely that sprinkled over pasta or something similar. I torch it until the cheese melts, bubbles, fizzles and then just slightly starts to brown, and then sprinkle it with coarse salt and some paprika. Amazing!
Oh my goodness, I now really feel like I need one of these blowtorches.

what steel is used in that? Is it a single edge or double edge bevel? Did you shave your arm yet :)

VG10 stainless, 50/50 grind.

My wife bought me a 270 mm carbon steel (blue #2) gyuto a few Christmases ago. She doesn't use that knife at all, due both to the very large size of it being more than she's comfortable with, and because I think she's terrified of mistreating it and allowing it to rust.

So I bought this one primarily for her. It's 210 mm so more in line with the size chef's knife she is comfortable with, and being full stainless it won't rust.

VG10 stainless, 50/50 grind.

My wife bought me a 270 mm carbon steel (blue #2) gyuto a few Christmases ago. She doesn't use that knife at all, due both to the very large size of it being more than she's comfortable with, and because I think she's terrified of mistreating it and allowing it to rust.

So I bought this one primarily for her. It's 210 mm so more in line with the size chef's knife she is comfortable with, and being full stainless it won't rust.

I've got a VG10 knife that I love. Doesn't stay sharp as long as the others, but it's a workhorse. Relatively wide spine - I use it when I know the knife might meet bone.

I hear ya on the wife. She klunks these things into the dishwasher then jams them into the knife drawer. Gah. I keep asking her to hand wash only, but...

I got the beauty below a few weeks ago and I don't have the courage to put it in the kitchen until I get another knife drawer set up. It's a metal called ZDP-189. It's mad hard and hella sharp. Rest of my knives are something called SG2 which is also a good knife metal.

1644625155686.png

Back