Who's smoking meat this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Found some vacuum sealed pork chops, figured wth.
168BC83F-C0A5-4D93-AAE8-41031B8A2C40.jpeg

Oh man, sry I missed your question alpha. Cant quite remember how to spell your new name. Why the switch if you dont mind me asking. Anyways search chuck on this thread and I have posted fairly often with results and ideas and processes. Lots of pics of my chucks and I have answered your question at least two times iirc, so in fear of effing up I'll leave well enough alone, but i will add some thoughts below because....

Great conincidence that my return in months (please make an app) is for chuck! Woot, I love smoked chuck and it is really versatile. Picking the right one is key. I don't like to low and slow for beef (any smoke) because I think the higher heat has a nice maialrd (sp?) Effect alsondont want to dry the beef. Thus around 195 seems a good idea. These were thick! Also I want to be done before it gets late!

Never see them this thick, but at Sam's vs brisket figured a good value. At 275 they will still take plenty of time especially at this size, 10 hours at 275 with hickory and cherry, no wrap. I used to use only salt but used killer hogs rub. Either way is fine, but I like it versatile. Omg last night used that tostitos nacho cheese in jar and seared chuck a little with evoo and added the cheese sauce and put over baked chips with sour cream, guac, tomatoes, salsa, and lettuce , this is one of our favorite meals. One tip is to cut up, shred fairly small so less dry can mix with more more dry. Hope you keep giving them a try, smoked chuck is really something special. My wife made bruschetta with carmelized onions, california ranch evoo, parmesan and mozzarella, it was so good. I make a lot of teppenaki type dishes with it. This pick is smoked pork butt I made a month ago on nachos (no cheese sauce, so just shredded).
20210523_115702.jpg
20210523_115709.jpg
20210601_094434.jpg
20210601_094355.jpg

My thermometer usually shows it to be a little hot. Usually when it looks like it should be done we get another thermometer to double check and get about 10° cooler.

I don't like opening it up to check that often. When you're lookin', you ain't cookin'. I think I can plug another temperature probe into my smoker, maybe I'll give that a try.

I've not made that many briskets to see what the deal is with the jiggle test. It's something I suppose I should get familiar with.

It came out good. I wouldn't be embarrassed to share it with family. It didn't pass the pull test, but when sliced it can be easily cut with a fork. It isn't tough or chewy. I wouldn't describe it as dry, but I bet that it wasn't as moist as it could've been.

I was wondering about vacuum sealing some, and when I get around to heating that portion up just put it in the crockpot with a little beef stock. It would probably ruin any bark that formed, but besides that I don't see a problem.
For me there is only two kinds of brisket, good brisket and better brisket. Heck yeah they can take forever at 225, 16 hours sure. One reason I smoke at 275. Also since my smoker is small, I have had great luck cutting brisket in half. That way I can take the point out well after the flat has finished.

Did one where I crammed whole brisket in and the flat wasnt as good, and was over cooked. I think I will always cut in half and I dont separate, a clever spot to cut in half is the trick. A little point might be on flat, its ok. The flat cooks in 5 hours or less the point closer to 10.

Oh why i replied, reheating. I happen to now like a little slightly undercooked butt or brisket. I rarely eat it that night. So yours is perfect for my tastes becuase and this is why I replied, the microwave with paper towel on top is an excellent way to reheat and it renders that last bit of fat with excellent skill. A debatedbly better way is to finish it while searing it off in oil then load in tacos or add bbq sauce and mix and heat. Your idea will be fine and bark will be juicy like a soup not neccesarily ruined but perhaps not great for fried rice and tacos. Bottom line that last rendering, that second cook is where the magic happens for each meal. Finish it, and the first meal will be the best. Leave it slightly under done and every time you make it, it will be perfect. If ever under done and want that night, guests etc., microwave to that perfect spot!

For me there is only two kinds of brisket, good brisket and better brisket. Heck yeah they can take forever at 225, 16 hours sure. One reason I smoke at 275. Also since my smoker is small, I have had great luck cutting brisket in half. That way I can take the point out well after the flat has finished.

Did one where I crammed whole brisket in and the flat wasnt as good, and was over cooked. I think I will always cut in half and I dont separate, a clever spot to cut in half is the trick. A little point might be on flat, its ok. The flat cooks in 5 hours or less the point closer to 10.

So you were separating the point and the flat? That "I don't separate" has me scratching my head. Do you cut the part of the flat off that doesn't have point over it?

I was planning on this being a 12 hour smoke. I was thinking of bumping the temperature a bit next time, around midway through the cook, probably when I wrap it. From 225° to 240° or 250°.

I happen to now like a little slightly undercooked butt or brisket. I rarely eat it that night. So yours is perfect for my tastes becuase and this is why I replied, the microwave with paper towel on top is an excellent way to reheat and it renders that last bit of fat with excellent skill. A debatedbly better way is to finish it while searing it off in oil then load in tacos or add bbq sauce and mix and heat. Your idea will be fine and bark will be juicy like a soup not neccesarily ruined but perhaps not great for fried rice and tacos. Bottom line that last rendering, that second cook is where the magic happens for each meal. Finish it, and the first meal will be the best. Leave it slightly under done and every time you make it, it will be perfect. If ever under done and want that night, guests etc., microwave to that perfect spot!

I have an event coming up where my family has asked me to smoke some brisket ahead of time, as I wont be able to bring my smoker with me, so it'll all be leftover. I was aiming for the brisket to hit 205°, but from what you're suggesting 195° would be just fine. The last brisket I smoked before this came out tough, I ended up finishing in the crock pot, and it was definitely tender after that.

I have some things to consider.

I was planning on this being a 12 hour smoke. I was thinking of bumping the temperature a bit next time, around midway through the cook, probably when I wrap it. From 225° to 240° or 250°.

This is what I do. Just smoked a 12# brisket over the weekend (no pics, oops). Threw it on at 6:30pm Friday night at 225°, bumped it up at 5am to 275°, went back to bed til 730 (having a pellet smoker and a thermometer with 4 probes helps you sleep like a baby on long cooks!), pulled the brisket at 10am, let it rest til 1:30 and it sliced like butter.

I don't crutch, mostly cuz I'm lazy, but when it hits that 160-165° stall there's not much reason to keep super low and slow. It won't absorb any more smoke, the interior moisture needs to come out, so might as well coax it out with a higher temp.

when it hits that 160-165° stall there's not much reason to keep super low and slow. It won't absorb any more smoke, the interior moisture needs to come out, so might as well coax it out with a higher temp.

I've wondered whether it pays to keep it smoking after a certain point in the cook, like x-many hours in maybe I should just bring it in, wrap it, and throw it in the oven, but I don't know what point that would be.

After 4-6 hours my smoker usually has trouble putting out more smoke anyway. Lots of ash gets compacted over the heating element.

I've wondered whether it pays to keep it smoking after a certain point in the cook, like x-many hours in maybe I should just bring it in, wrap it, and throw it in the oven, but I don't know what point that would be.

After 4-6 hours my smoker usually has trouble putting out more smoke anyway. Lots of ash gets compacted over the heating element.
When I lived in TX I had a buddy who used to do this. Once it stalled, he'd wrap it and throw it in the oven at 275 til done. He claimed after 3 or 4 hours, it's reached max smoke levels, and keeping it in his stick burner was just wasting wood. I personally could never tell the difference between his and mine (pellet smoker with a a-maze-n smoker tube running the length of the cook). So... maybe?

I have heard that most of the smoke a piece of meat can absorb gets in there in the first hour of cooking, and after that it's kind of the law of diminishing returns.

I should look around and see if anything backs that up.

I have read after the meat reaches the 145 degree range, the meat will not pick up much more smoke. I use an electric smoker(Bradley) or A-MAZ-N pellet smoker. I usually smoke approximately an hour past this point with good results. I can't tell any difference.

@Kent88 I dont know why my writing can be so confusing, apologies it is to me too. I am adding to many thoughts not always described in detail enough. No I do not separate, just a nice spot to cut in half. I will remove on the board the fat inbetween those few crossover slices if necessary but this has produced excellent results. In general when I shred I remove anything even remotely undesirable so every piece frozen is edible and there are no gross surprises.

190, 195, it's all good, the idea is that you dont have to worry because when you reheat it, it will be great. If overcooked to begin with it's harder to reheat later, but will still be great. The amount of fat trimmed off seems to effect juiciness as well. I was going to say 200 and 205 all good as well but beef you dont want to dry out like a butt. The pork has more fat buffer. A good idea might be to take the flat out at 190 and the point at 200. Trim anything to gross out, leave some fat for reheat rendering, chop up and freeze for reheat on serving day if it is over two days away, under two I would leave in fridge, over two I would freeze on cook day. Careful not to squeeze juice with vacu seal. Par freeze, then seal.

I have read after the meat reaches the 145 degree range, the meat will not pick up much more smoke. I use an electric smoker(Bradley) or A-MAZ-N pellet smoker. I usually smoke approximately an hour past this point with good results. I can't tell any difference.
I have heard the same, so after 145 I start to add less often and less, but still add here and there.

having a pellet smoker and a thermometer with 4 probes helps you sleep like a baby on long cooks!

I've been smoking and done a couple long cooks. Think my temps spiked on last cook and thinking to get one of these units from Thermoworks. I think I will go with the Smoke X2 or X4, only difference I can see iss the X2 has two probes (grill and food) while X4 has four (grill and 3 food). Price is $170 vs $200 so not hard to justify...if the 2nd and 3rd food probes are at all useful. Anybody have an opinion?

Smoking a brisket starting Saturday evening for a gathering on Sunday. Plan to get to the butcher either tomorrow or Friday to pick it up (about 10 minutes from here). Need to check inventory on things that will go on the [large] BGE after the brisket comes off (getting grilled) and hit the grocery store to add as needed.

Also brewing on Saturday, which is why I need to get to the butcher before EOD Friday.

I've been smoking and done a couple long cooks. Think my temps spiked on last cook and thinking to get one of these units from Thermoworks. I think I will go with the Smoke X2 or X4, only difference I can see iss the X2 has two probes (grill and food) while X4 has four (grill and 3 food). Price is $170 vs $200 so not hard to justify...if the 2nd and 3rd food probes are at all useful. Anybody have an opinion?
I have been plenty happy with this, but heck yeah the more the merrier and if you can afford the official thermopro easily then seems a no brainer. Yeah ideally you want grill temp especially if you are using sticks or charcoal and like I said cant have enough thermometer probes. I would probe a butt in 3 places, you bet, when I smoke one thing I put both probes in, when I smoke two things I probe each or double probe smallest and switch . Btw found a shot of smoked chuck. Conclusion, Imho you definetly want at least two food probes for a, accuracy, and b, to probe multiple things. Best of luck.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190322-161016_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20190322-161016_Gallery.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 19
  • Screenshot_20210608-081322_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20210608-081322_Samsung Internet.jpg
    584.3 KB · Views: 19
Like applescrap said above, yes. I like having 2 probes in a thick cut of meat, like brisket, just in case I have one in a fat pocket, the other should be accurate. Plus I like having 2 on the grate at different points. A couple winters ago, it was around 20°F one night while I was smoking a butt, and my single probe on the grate kept reading 135 cuz it was too close to the door. I usually remove one once I wake up, but at night its nice to have a bit more peace of mind.

In addition, I've smoked 2 chickens at once a few times and its nice to have one in a thigh and one in the breast in each.

I guess, tl;dr is you can never have too many probes but you definitely can have not enough.

Ps, I use the fireboard wireless thermometer and love it. 2 years now and no issues.

Last edited:
thanks @applescrap and @duffy5018. Really helpful information for the extra $30 was easy decision so I went with the 4 probe thermometer. Hope my wife doesn't see that thermpro unit thermometer linked above 😬

I looked at the Fireboard and the Thermoworks Signals unit but really didn't want to mess with wifi on this or use my tablet/phone as the inside receiver. I thought the reviews over at amazingribs.com were really helpful.

Awesome Ruint! Nachos! What are you putting on them?

For guacamole , from memory I dont really have a recipe, I could be off when I see actual amounts, and I will double check the next time I make and update if off, but I think this is right

Put some jar garlic in the mortar, 1 tsp maybe a pinch more or less
Zest a lime over it, maybe more
Put your heat, chilli, in. Sriracha?! Any hot sauce if in a pinch
A small piece of onion, a half tbsp chopped maybe
And some oil and salt
And mash it to paste, add the lime juice now and two or three avocados and mash to preferred texture. You will alter ingredients by number and size of avocado.

1 tsp jar garlic .....to taste
Zest of a lime .... to taste
2 tsp chopped onion......to taste
1 or 2 tsp chopped no seeds jalopeno .... to taste :)
2 tsp oil
Salt
2 or 3 avocados

@Duffy that brisket method sounds awesome. That is pretty cool they auger pellets while you sleep!

Sounds amazing do you make the honey garlic mango?
I have made my own version of this with fresh ingredients but it was a little too much so I usually stick with the rubs here in the picture. The Weber Honey garlic you can usually find in local grocery stores, the Mango Magic I get at Wal-Mart in the garden/grilling section. I do tend to add a little more garlic powder to the mix and after its done cooking ,right before I add smoking wood or chips, sometimes I will smear a thin coat of honey diluted with water for the last 10-15"min. You don't want to put too much honey or add it too soon as the sugars will scorch. But it's just as good without putting honey on it.
20210614_121732.jpg

Attachments

• 20210614_121732.jpg
    20210614_121732.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 3
IMG_0927.jpeg

IMG_0928.jpeg

Got my X4 thermometer and did a 12 pound brisket this weekend. Started it at midnight at about 240. At 3am my alarm woke me up cause cooker temp had fallen to 215 so I got up and dealt with it. Got back to sleep around 5 and got woken up again at about 6:30 to tend the vents again. At 10am I was at internal temp of about 170 and I wrapped it in butcher paper and left it in the smoker. At 1 it 203 and I pulled it and put it in a cooler wrapped in towels. Pulled it out about 4 hours later and unwrapped it and let it rest on the carving board another 45 min while I finished the sides.

I also did 2lbs of beans under the brisket starting them around that 7am mark. Pulled them when I pulled out the brisket and put them in crock pot to finish/stay warm. Then put the crock pot insert (it is this heavy dutch oven style cast iron insert) into the cooler with the brisket as the brisket was too big for my small cooler and I thought too small for the big cooler. Whatever it worked well as the brisket was at 155 when I pulled it from the cooler at about 5 and I let it rest another 30 min unwrapped before carving.

Based on how the brisket came out I'm super happy with the X4. Wife not so much she is not a fan of alarms at 3 and 6:30am on Sunday morning. Also happy with the Summit for smoking...if you are awake it is very easy to maintain a steady temperature. But before I do another overnight cook I'll add the Bellows attachment to hopefully hold temps overnight without the alarms. And I'll probably sleep on the couch just in case. I'm now jealous of the nice carving knives I see all the BBQ YouTubers using. I think I did a decent job with my bread knife but next time...

Based on how the brisket came out I'm super happy with the X4. Wife not so much she is not a fan of alarms at 3 and 6:30am on Sunday morning.

Would your wife be happier with a brisket that has to be thrown out because the fire went out?

I'm now jealous of the nice carving knives I see all the BBQ YouTubers using. I think I did a decent job with my bread knife but next time...

You can get fancy if you want, but a Victorinox 12" slicer with granton blade is only $50 on Amazon. It's a great knife and it's not that expensive. No need for something crazier than that, especially when it's not used daily.

Three pound fresh ham I cured myself in 2qts of saltwater with 7.5g of prague powder #1 for 3.5 days. Hopefully I got it right.

I think I need to recalibrate my thermometers. This had to have been done a while ago, but when I pulled it one spot still registered below 160°F.

PXL_20210616_135409534.jpg
PXL_20210617_042208402.jpg

Shared a Snake River Farms gold grade Wagyu Cowboy Ribeye with my dad for father's day! Good God this was delicious!

I seasoned with SPG rub and cooked to 120 on my Pit Barrel and then seared on my Blackstone. Served it alongside lobster tails, garlic herb green beans and garlic parmesan corn on the cob.
PXL_20210620_234427036.PORTRAIT.jpg
PXL_20210620_233015164.PORTRAIT.jpg
PXL_20210620_233312624.PORTRAIT.jpg
PXL_20210620_221042174.PORTRAIT.jpg
PXL_20210620_011706546.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20210620_232956980.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20210620_232956980.PORTRAIT.jpg
    6.8 MB · Views: 6
  • PXL_20210620_233015164.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20210620_233015164.PORTRAIT.jpg
    7.6 MB · Views: 5
  • PXL_20210620_232407391.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20210620_232407391.PORTRAIT.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 5
  • PXL_20210620_011717561.jpg
    PXL_20210620_011717561.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 6
I'm getting ready to grill some salmon. My old buddy's been sending me videos of his 7-rib beef roast on the backyard rotisserie. I've got some protein envy going on.

Resized_20210626_164854.jpg

Last edited:
Smoking some wings today. I brined them fist in a brine of Apple cider vinegar, Apple juice, water, salt, pepper garlic, and chipotle paste. Made a few sauces and some blue cheese to finish them later. Drinking some hb to pass the time
4A5C1B2C-C1A2-4407-B5B7-337ECCF0B9D4.jpeg

5FC18E26-5F22-4BEF-A8B5-45AC4E616EF1.jpeg

Can you tell I smoked this 4# brisket hot and fast in under 5 hours? My first one and it’s so tender and juicy and so much flavor. Not as tender as it would be if I did low and slow, but so far that trade off for saving time is great!
D200ED83-AD01-4FC7-AFC3-E7FE7BCA7054.jpeg

Last edited:
Back