Who's smoking meat this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can't believe no one else here is NOT smoking some meat for this weekend!!! This is what I got....

Attachments

• IMG_20200525_094537.jpg
    IMG_20200525_094537.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 27
we got rain here today, so I'm holding off until next weekend since controlling temps can be challenging with unending rain/wind changes

maybe this is justification to add a BGE to my arsenal of smoking equip

Cured 3 lbs of pork loin and smoked it yesterday. Not bad for my first shot at Canadian bacon.

Also did some ribs on the grill, finished them in the smoker for a little flavor, but I wouldn't consider them smoked...

Got 2 butts going on the Pit Boss tomorrow to feed some friends coming to help build my new back porch. Pretty crappy weather here today though so I’m not missing much.

we got rain here today, so I'm holding off until next weekend since controlling temps can be challenging with unending rain/wind changes

maybe this is justification to add a BGE to my arsenal of smoking equip

Yeah, it's pretty impervious to conditions. They love 'em in the Great White North because they hold temp amazingly even in subzero weather.

Not that I worry about that in SoCal though ☀

Fat bellied and food comatose!! Only ate some of the ribs, I have that brisket wrapped in foil and towels, resting.

Attachments

• IMG_20200525_135633.jpg
    IMG_20200525_135633.jpg
    820.3 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20200525_135636.jpg
    IMG_20200525_135636.jpg
    777.8 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20200525_152902.jpg
    IMG_20200525_152902.jpg
    791.7 KB · Views: 19
I did a beef roast. Dry rub then low smoke up to 185, wrap in foil with a cup of broth, then up to 205 to shred.

Well, after 34# of bone-in pork shoulder was smoked, I ended up with:

5 pulled pork sandwiches (for dinner).

2# of vacuum-sealed pork to send to my in-laws with a growler of homebrew blonde ale since we're social distancing and couldn't invite them over.

13# 4 oz of vacuum-sealed pork mostly in 1# packages into the freezer for future projects. Pulled pork nachos, pulled pork salad, maybe chili, sandwiches, etc...

I'm always struck by how much weight is lost in cooking... I ended up with probably about half the original weight in the final yield.

Exactly! When I filled the smoker it felt like it had to be a years supply, then just a month later I'm trying to figure out where it all went....
If you are anything like me, you need to look down at your belly. You will then know what happened to all that meat. MmmMeat. I just can't help myself when it tastes so damn good.

Can't believe no one else here is NOT smoking some meat for this weekend!!! This is what I got....
Been making proper English bacon in my homemade cold smoker.

Attachments

• B8FC449D-C223-4990-A326-FABABCEFA934.jpeg
    B8FC449D-C223-4990-A326-FABABCEFA934.jpeg
    123.4 KB · Views: 42
  • BBE619FF-8047-4CFE-8C76-8714CC514688.jpeg
    BBE619FF-8047-4CFE-8C76-8714CC514688.jpeg
    617.5 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
That cold smoker looks rockin Snipper! What are the dimensions on that?
H = 32 inches, D = 18 inches, W = 17 inches

Made it one day with left over wood I had . It is on casters so you can easily move it about but it’s not particularly heavy. I didn’t use any plans other than what was in my head. Knew what I wanted it to look like, which is a bit like a beach hut. Thought if you are going to have a cold smoker it might as well look interesting.

It appears that your loin is tied. Did you slit it and insert something?
Would appreciate if you would share your method and recipe, if you don’t mind.
Thanks!

The joints were tied when I bought them from the supermarket. As a boned loin has a bit of a tail on one side it is tied to keep it compact.

This is a link to the instructions I mainly use. Cold Smoking Recipes & Tips - Food Smoking | Hot Smoked

My son gave me one of Hotsmoked bacon kits for Father’s Day several years ago. Never bought any bacon since. Tried various adaptations but come back to the basic recipe.

Smoked salmon easy to do.

Also cured and air dried for a year a whole leg of pork. This is it in my homemade meat safe.

Attachments

• D32A0E7B-97BF-4C13-935D-84F297DFFE94.jpeg
    D32A0E7B-97BF-4C13-935D-84F297DFFE94.jpeg
    867.9 KB · Views: 29
The joints were tied when I bought them from the supermarket. As a boned loin has a bit of a tail on one side it is tied to keep it compact.

This is a link to the instructions I mainly use. Cold Smoking Recipes & Tips - Food Smoking | Hot Smoked

My son gave me one of Hotsmoked bacon kits for Father’s Day several years ago. Never bought any bacon since. Tried various adaptations but come back to the basic recipe.

Smoked salmon easy to do.

Also cured and air dried for a year a whole leg of pork. This is it in my homemade meat safe.
I have been making my own bacon for a couple of years now. Generally use a Costco pork belly. Have also made Canadian bacon using loin. I am assuming from your comments that you bought a loin that was cut with some of the belly attached.
Have also smoked quite a bit of salmon and last spring did some trout.
FWIW, there is a thread on this forum titled “Any Bacon Makers Here”.
Thanks for sharing😊

Just had my sister in law spill the beans (by mistake) that I’m getting a new Traeger Smoker/grill combo for an early Father’s Day gift. Couldn’t be more excited! I’ll post the model after and pictures after I get it

Last edited:
got my fathers day gift early... Pit Boss Copperhead. broke it in this weekend with drumsticks for a test run. turned out great, everyone loved them. my only concern with this is it was tripping GFIs all over the place. I finally found one outlet on the back patio that I'm guessing isn't GFI, cause it didn't trip it and got thru the burn in and a smoking session.

got my fathers day gift early... Pit Boss Copperhead. broke it in this weekend with drumsticks for a test run. turned out great, everyone loved them. my only concern with this is it was tripping GFIs all over the place. I finally found one outlet on the back patio that I'm guessing isn't GFI, cause it didn't trip it and got thru the burn in and a smoking session.
If it tripped separate GFI circuits, within a few minutes of startup, you probably have a problem with the igniter. Contact Pit Boss and they will send you a new one.

If all the outlets tested were on the same circuit, it could be the GFI. They get more sensitive each time they are tripped.

yea, I found that info over the weekend. still need to call them but the igniter looks to be a common issue with the pellet smokers.

At my old house, I had some issues with GFCI. The GFCI was in the garage at the front of the house, and somehow the outdoor outlet on the back of the house was tied into that circuit off the GFCI. Depending on what sort of load I was trying to run on the back, it would pop off regularly. Especially if I needed an extension cord FROM that outlet.

Given that a pellet smoker has to get that igniter hot enough to start a fire, it's gotta be pulling some good current--probably more than a lot of other things you might have ever put on that circuit.

That said it sounds like you tried it on a bunch of different GFCI and I'm assuming some of them were local to the plug, so perhaps that might be the issue here.

this was my first time doing it this way, i used to put on the grill with the lid open so i didnt over cook and dry out. but after smoking it this time my fiance and i have decided it will be the only way we make it.

Smoked a pork butt for 8 hours yesterday and it came out great!!! 1st time I tried this and I will make changes next time, ie: take it off heat a little sooner and wrap it. It was a great first attempt!

First full Brisket on the New Traeger while having a great Equilibrium Double.

10.08lb USDA Prime Brisket - this on had great marbling but the cap was on the thinner side. Getting close to the wrapping time
5E201E06-8BA5-4435-A41E-079C1099F9E4.jpeg
D2F43B2C-3BEF-48D2-AD3A-8E2AA8A0C775.jpeg

Back