Who's smoking meat this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2h2r3us.jpg

@jammin I've never smoked brats before, only direct heat over charcoal. I've a Weber I set up for wet smoke & regularly smoke chicken, pork chops, etc...
I'm wondering what your process is, those brats look tasty.
Regards, GF.

@jammin I've never smoked brats before, only direct heat over charcoal. I've a Weber I set up for wet smoke & regularly smoke chicken, pork chops, etc...
Regards, GF.

Thanks, GF. I coked them hot n fast so to speak on the pellet cooker @ 350* until golden brown. I think it took close to 45min bc I had them on the higher rack & further away from any direct heat.

Regards, GF.

I know you didnt ask me but I smoke them and hot dogs a lot. Normal procedures 225 to 275 smoked until juicy and done. In my experience they look red.

I know you didnt ask me but I smoke them and hot dogs a lot. Normal procedures 225 to 275 smoked until juicy and done. In my experience they look red.

A lot of times when I smoke chicken leg quarters (wet smoke) they'll turn red, I think it looks kinda cool that way.
Regards, GF.

It turned out perfect, great smoke flavor, still very moist(except for the wings).

Corky, I think the point he was making was that if you cook poultry at a low enough heat to take 14 hours to be done without drying out, that meat stays in the danger zone temperature-wise for way too long to be safe to eat. That's why it is so hard to smoke a big turkey safely.

I just came across this post. awesome looking stuff... heres a few things ive cooked the past couple weeks. Newbie smoker... it keeps getting better everytime I make something

Loin stuffed with sauge
ZwvkK62.jpg

Loin stuffed with Feta and spinach
Eb5fb02.jpg

dGXVoCU.jpg

Bacon wrapped meatloaf
QpelB4r.jpg

had a ham going the other weekend all time fav so far.

ibZK0o5.jpg

I thought that rack looked like it belonged to a Bradley Smoker. I have had mine for 3-4 years and love it. My element finally burned out mid-smoke of a pork butt. So I decided it was time to mod it to a dual element. Mine struggles to get hot in winter temps so this should help. I also started using a Auber PID last year. Really helps regulate temps better when you are doing more delicate items like salmon, jerkey, sausage, etc. Thanks for the loin ideas. I need to give that a try. So does the bacon wrapped meatloaf.

Yea I did a lot of research on it. I actually scored this smoker for free from someone that was going to throw it out trying to de cluttered their house.

According to my maverick the temps def fluctuate quite a bit which can suck, but so far its been decent. I did a loin for pulled pork last weekend in cold temps, it was struggling to stay above 200F, I ended up putting a large umbrella to cover it from where the wind was going and that alone made the difference.

Ive also read putting 2 fire bricks inside on the dripping rack (V part) (out of the way) helps it maintain a more steady heat. Ill be doing that this weekend and see how much of a difference there is.

The feta and spinach loin was awesome, the sausage stuffed was just ok.

If you do a wrapped meatloaf, id advise leaving the bottom side "open" to allow some grease to drain cause the bacon held in all the grease and it ended up extremely greasy until I re heated it in the oven all cut up which allowed it to drain. Live and learn!

Four pork shoulders smoked and ready to pull for my trap shooting buddies at the Gun Club. We shall eat well this eve! :mug:

some tasty lookin food!

I smoked my 1st turkey for the gf's fam.... was windy as all heck and freezing rain... but I was on a mission! taped the umbrella tight to the table, the ice forming on it held it solid lol.. so worked out

FjoFtJf.jpg

bFm5CrV.jpg

After extensive research, I bought a green egg. More versatile than a smoker. Little over two years now and I love it.

I'm leaning that way right now. If I go kamado; I'm really liking the Primo Oval XL

If you can find it, Kamado Joe via the Costco Road Show is about as perfect as you can get value-wise. And the Big Joe has more cooking area than the Primo Oval XL an with the split half-moon heat deflector allows you to do 2-zone cooking just like the Primo. The Big Joe at these events typically costs $1199 and comes with a lot of the goodies that cost a lot extra on the Primo or BGE.

The nearest road show I can find to Wilsonville, OR starts next week in Tacoma, but it might be worth the drive.

My Traeger is finally done. Now I need to decide between a kamado or just an electric unit. Advice?

I always plug cheap electric masterbuilt like mine. It works really really well and is easy to use. I was going to get the egg or primo and havent thought about them ever again. I grill over lump if i want that and usually prefer convenience of gas. I think it was temptd2 who posted a picture of the Oster smoker. Looks like a crock pot and chips go in the sides. They are well under a hundred and boy they look convenient. When it comes to taste people seem to prefer lump and kamados. Many seem to like the value driven weber smoky too. All that being said, clearly though kamados are superior quality grills that do a nice job.

I think it comes down to what you want and need. I needed a way to throw meat on a smoker conveniently for a family of four as often as i wanted and in the winter. I want to fire mine up more often and make pies and try mac and cheese. I smoke hot dogs and brats, and loins and ham, because I can whenever i want with ease. I think no matter what you decide you ultimately need an electric as well as an egg. Then you have both and dont need to decide:)

ive always heard electric ones tend to struggle to keep temps in cold weather.

I know for sure my Bradley has a hard time but there is tips and tricks that can help it.

I do plan on building a smoke house for the smoker on my deck so I can smoke year round and have it shielded from the cold and outside elements.

If you can find it, Kamado Joe via the Costco Road Show is about as perfect as you can get value-wise. And the Big Joe has more cooking area than the Primo Oval XL an with the split half-moon heat deflector allows you to do 2-zone cooking just like the Primo. The Big Joe at these events typically costs $1199 and comes with a lot of the goodies that cost a lot extra on the Primo or BGE.

The nearest road show I can find to Wilsonville, OR starts next week in Tacoma, but it might be worth the drive.

The Primo Oval XL has a divider that allows you to heat one side which is a more true 2 zone method than a deflector plate. But, you're splitting hairs at that point.

The Primo Oval XL has a divider that allows you to heat one side which is a more true 2 zone method than a deflector plate. But, you're splitting hairs at that point.

The Big Joe has that as well... Included standard for the $1199 (Costco special event) price.

I've never used it. I find if I stack the two half-moon heat deflectors, it turns one side of the grill into indirect quite well. I regularly reverse-sear tri-tip, and the bottom side of the tri-tip is never scorched even when I have dome thermometer temps running ~300 degrees for the roasting portion of it.

The Big Joe has that as well... Included standard for the $1199 (Costco special event) price.

I've never used it. I find if I stack the two half-moon heat deflectors, it turns one side of the grill into indirect quite well. I regularly reverse-sear tri-tip, and the bottom side of the tri-tip is never scorched even when I have dome thermometer temps running ~300 degrees for the roasting portion of it.

That's a good price. Does it come with the stand and casters?

I find I use my Big Steel Keg which is a komodo style grill/smoker then my pellet smoker. Much more versatile.

ive always heard electric ones tend to struggle to keep temps in cold weather.

I know for sure my Bradley has a hard time but there is tips and tricks that can help it.

I do plan on building a smoke house for the smoker on my deck so I can smoke year round and have it shielded from the cold and outside elements.

I saw your picture above and noticed you had made some winter modifications. My Masterbuilt will stay above safety temperatures even in negative weather but I don't think it keeps a steady temperature. That being said even though it is outside, it is at least shielded by our house on one side as it is on our porch. The problem I have found is that it's constantly working. The problem with it constantly working is getting good chip burn. The Thin Blue Smoke I get in the summer is a little more white. The chips dont seem to give as good of smoke, but i could be seeing steam with it too. Overall, i personally don't mind if it Cooks at 200 250 or 275 and as long as it stays above safe Zone and it passes through 140 in three hours or whatever it is, I'm content to smoke in the winter.

I took 2nd place with tri tip in a competition last October, using my Akorn, cooked it low and slow at about 215 until about 105 internal, then removed the plate, opened bottom and top vents all the way, left the lid open five minutes to get a good fire then put it back, closed the lid and finished the steak. Did the same thing with a filet the year before and took first place in beef. Now I realize the Akorn is small and no way try are going to get two zones, but I do like the way I can bring the temperature up several hundred degrees in a short period with a kamado (forget lowering it, that takes forever).

Latest posts

Back