Who's smoking meat this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just put a small bone-in shoulder on the smoker. My wife got me an igrill2 for V-day. Anyone have experience with them? I have one probe monitoring the inside temp of the WSM and one probe in the shoulder. Also have my thermoworks probes set up to compare.

I picked up one and they are awesome. The fact that I can see the temp without lifting the lid is awesome. But... I still peek! Lol

It was a little glitchy and the probe in the shoulder was pretty far off the thermoworks probe, but I'll give it another shot next smoke before I condemn it. I really want it to work because it's nice to see the temps from in the house when it's 10° outside...

It was a little glitchy and the probe in the shoulder was pretty far off the thermoworks probe, but I'll give it another shot next smoke before I condemn it. I really want it to work because it's nice to see the temps from in the house when it's 10° outside...

I'd do some checking. Did ice bath/boil check on mine, spot on both.

Smoking a pork butt Friday or Saturday AM to turn into Carolina BBQ for a Saturday night party.

It's absolutely impossible to find legit Carolina-style pork BBQ here in Utah, so I'm fixin' to make it happen, myself.

It's gonna be positively spring-like this weekend - a high of 50°F!!!! So I'm going to be playing with all my Weber toys all weekend long. Smoking baby backs on Saturday for sure, and I'll probably be grilling Friday and, what the heck, I'll fire up the kettle on Saturday for grilled veggies to go with the ribs.

Gonna be in the 70's this weekend in the South. May have to throw a Butt on the Stumps for some pulled pork sammies/tacos etc.

After we were done brewing 5 gallons of a chocolate vanilla milk stout, we grilled a couple of rib-eye steaks with loaded baked potatoes, caesar salad, and Pliny the Elder to compliment the meal.

IMG_0809.jpg

Smoking a pork butt Friday or Saturday AM to turn into Carolina BBQ for a Saturday night party.

It's absolutely impossible to find legit Carolina-style pork BBQ here in Utah, so I'm fixin' to make it happen, myself.

Is it easy to find vinegar based sauce there?

Converted my offset to do some cold smoking with an "external" smoke generator. The idea was to have any bad smoke (creosote) accumulate in the fire box and ducting and not on the food. It was 40F Saturday morning so I rigged a heater to bring the smoker up to the 50's. Had some pork belly and sockeye salmon brined/cured and also threw some cheese on there.

Pork belly, cheese and sockeye (lox).

Freshly made mini bagels with cream cheese, onion and lox...tasty.

Nate

So... Anyone else have a masterbuilt electric smoker and get lackluster smoke character? I bought a a-maze-n smoker tray, and just can't get it to stay lit. :mad:

So... Anyone else have a masterbuilt electric smoker and get lackluster smoke character? I bought a a-maze-n smoker tray, and just can't get it to stay lit. :mad:

If you're using pellets, check out this guy's process...

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WZb5YRObnk[/ame]

My first attempt at summer sausage. It turned out more like kielbasa in taste/texture. Still tastes good but not reminiscent of summer sausage. Next time I will go with a coarser grind and shoot for a lower internal temp. This being my first try I overshot the recommended 152f internal temperature by about 20f this caused some of the fat to render out and gave the sausage more of a cooked texture and colour. Overall a good learning experience.

View attachment 1458136479820.jpg

Doing my first overnight smoke. Put a 10lb bone-in pork shoulder in the WSM yesterday at 4:00 PM at 225F. It's been stalled at 180F since about 5 this morning. I'm trying to avoid wrapping it foil, just to see the difference (first few shoulders I wrapped to bust the stall), but this is maddening!

Doing my first overnight smoke. Put a 10lb bone-in pork shoulder in the WSM yesterday at 4:00 PM at 225F. It's been stalled at 180F since about 5 this morning. I'm trying to avoid wrapping it foil, just to see the difference (first few shoulders I wrapped to bust the stall), but this is maddening!

Did you get up in the middle of the night to keep things going, or did you have enough charcoal in there that it kept going by itself until morning? I also have a WSM and I always make sure to wake up very early to start smoking big stuff for fear of getting up at 3am and fumbling around in the dark.

Did you get up in the middle of the night to keep things going, or did you have enough charcoal in there that it kept going by itself until morning? I also have a WSM and I always make sure to wake up very early to start smoking big stuff for fear of getting up at 3am and fumbling around in the dark.

Before I went to bed, I took a shovel full of lit coals out of the smoker, filled the ring back up with unlit coals, and then dumped the lit coals back on top. Basically started over again with the minion method.

I should have waited longer before going to bed to make sure the temp stabilized, but it went up to 290F around midnight, and settled down to 220 by the time I got up in the morning for work (5:00am).

Back