Who's smoking meat this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Man, those Weber Smokey Mountains you guys have look good. Mine looks like a WWII relic. I'm smoking beef jerky on mine tomorrow.

Agreed. Mine has had a grayish brown streak that runs down from the handle in the little cover plate since the first time I smoked on it. I cleaned it up after the first smoke, and then it immediately developed the same streak on the next smoke. After that, I decided it was fated to be ugly.

In all fairness, I just got it for Christmas and it lives in the garage when not in use. It's only seen about 5-6 smokes so far

Gonna do some chicken thighs, breakfast sausage (both done before turned out excellent) and try some shrimp. Worst case, the shrimp will be cooked, not sure how they'll taste with Apple smoke on em

3E3F1123-E89C-497A-A0A9-05AC067C4AF6_zpskb1jhzj8.gif

Maybe a little buckboard😎

Smoked up a butt for Super Bowl. The game was meh, but at least the pulled pork was a hit.

Likewise...first time trying the plate setter in the ceramic grill. Worked well, but pulled the pork in an hour or two too early. Needed an earlier start, or less-crazy natives (4 kiddos) - didn't quite fall apart as much as I'm used to.

Smoked meatloaf is soon on my list for sure. Just waiting for the pork belly to cure so we can wrap the meatloaf.

Made my first Pastrami from a packer brisket...turned out awesome. Homemade sauerkraut, marble rye and thousand island dressing to compliment. Store bought cheese though, womp womp.

Out of the brine

Rubbed

Cooking

Cooked

Bread

Sliced and constructed

Likewise...first time trying the plate setter in the ceramic grill. Worked well, but pulled the pork in an hour or two too early. Needed an earlier start, or less-crazy natives (4 kiddos) - didn't quite fall apart as much as I'm used to.

I have issues. I put my butts on for ~20 hours at 225. I just like the way it turns out. Extra smokey and delicious. A great bark too. yum. I have tried the 8 hour or less smoke at 250/275 and while it was still good it just wasn't the same. Sure it takes a while but low and very slow is the best. And I am lazy. After pulling and shredding I put it in a crock pot on warm until people arrive. No worries about it drying out.

Also, the fall apart part. Test by stabbing with a fork and rotating (or doing that with the bone) rather than temp. I find 203 is usually money when it comes to fall apart tenderness but no two butts is alike.

How do you keep the smoke going? When I run my electric smoker I have to add chips maybe every 90 minutes at 200? Are you up as often as needed to add new chips to your smoker?

How do you keep the smoke going? When I run my electric smoker I have to add chips maybe every 90 minutes at 200? Are you up as often as needed to add new chips to your smoker?

I have a WSM (charcoal). I fill the basket with charcoal and put chunks of wood throughout the charcoal. I have gotten near 20 hours on a hot summer night with manually adjusting the vents(that sucked by the way), and at least 10 or more on a cold winters night with a temperature controller (digi-q). no issues with amount of smoke.

Not to mention, I hear that smoke absorption happens more when the meat is colder and less as it is hotter, but I tend to get up to a good 1/4 inch of ring on a butt with the long smoke where the shorter hotter one didnt seem to get much of one at all for me.

8c9b1731_Pastramifromscratch12-17-1116.jpeg

not my picture but pretty much how I do it.

That pastrami looks incredible. That is one thing I need to give a shot. Love me a good Reuben.:)
Thanks! I had a time crunch so it was only in the curing brine for 5 days. Even injecting 10% w/w the nitrite still missed a spot. There was a smaller than dime size area in the middle of the point end of the brisket that didn't see cure. No biggie, just looked weird. Next time I would plan on a 2 week brine.

Hi Ctufano,

I add a small handfull of chips to my Masterbuilt electric smoker about every 40 to 50 minutes at 225 degrees.

In weather like this, they're dry - during the hotter summer months it's a mix of wet & dry.

Super, have you found difference with wetting your wood additions? It may be different with electric or propane, but I have found with charcoal (since temperature is controlled by airflow) that wetting the wood doesn't really seem to do anything for me. Sure, it keeps it from igniting immediately, but with how hot the smoker is the water will most likely evaporate out pretty quick. Especially with something like chips where it is all surface area. Chunks I could see staying wet longer, but it would take quite a soak time to get them wet throughout.

Hi Ctufano,

I add a small handfull of chips to my Masterbuilt electric smoker about every 40 to 50 minutes at 225 degrees.

In weather like this, they're dry - during the hotter summer months it's a mix of wet & dry.

Super/Ctufano,

In a masterbuilt electric, you may want to try an external smoke generator. Something like what a-maze-n, Smoke Daddy, Bradley, etc sells. You can get looong smokes out of them compared to adding chips.

Nate

Super, have you found difference with wetting your wood additions? It may be different with electric or propane, but I have found with charcoal (since temperature is controlled by airflow) that wetting the wood doesn't really seem to do anything for me. Sure, it keeps it from igniting immediately, but with how hot the smoker is the water will most likely evaporate out pretty quick. Especially with something like chips where it is all surface area. Chunks I could see staying wet longer, but it would take quite a soak time to get them wet throughout.

Don't bother soaking wood. It's pointless. I use chunks, not chips, and toss them right onto the coals. They don't ignite if you're controlling the air to the coals.

Super/Ctufano,

In a masterbuilt electric, you may want to try an external smoke generator. Something like what a-maze-n, Smoke Daddy, Bradley, etc sells. You can get looong smokes out of them compared to adding chips.

Nate

I have to say, I have the a-maze-n, and haven't really gotten much smoke off of it. I goes out regularly, and seems to offput a not very smokey flavor.

I have a masterbuilt electric, fwiw.

Don't bother soaking wood. It's pointless. I use chunks, not chips, and toss them right onto the coals. They don't ignite if you're controlling the air to the coals.

Yeah, thats what I do. It seems to work well. I was just wondering if it actually helps in the electrics and gassers

Well, what I have been told, and what I've read is that wet (really just damp) creates more smoke for longer.
Whether that's true or not, I haven't measured.
(Check out Myron Mixon, Steven Raichlen and Ray Lampe - those were my sources)

But my approach has been long smoke - so a combination of dry and wet that I use seems to start smoking sooner (the dry), then by the time the dry is used up, the wet chips are dry, then they begin to smoke.
So it seems to delay their burn.
In essences prolonging the smoke as opposed to everything going off at once.
In colder months or with low smoke temps, I tend to use dry only, they seem to catch faster and I never drop wet over dry - found out the hard way that puts the "fire" out.

My EMS says 1/4 cup of chips, if I over load it, nothing really happens.
It all drops on basically a flat aluminum plate with an electric burner below.

Seems to work for me, your results my vary :)

I have to say, I have the a-maze-n, and haven't really gotten much smoke off of it. I goes out regularly, and seems to offput a not very smokey flavor.

I have a masterbuilt electric, fwiw.

I also have an A-maze-in and been underwhelmed with its performance, especially when compared to my WSM.

I just took delivery of their AMNPS for cold smokes, don't need it for hot smokes since I only use wood for fuel. Are you all using the pellet or dust version? Have you tried lighting both ends?

I have the pellet version. I have only ever lit one end because my intent has been to get an extended cold smoke with it, and lighting at both ends sort of defeats that purpose.

I have instead been thinking about modifying my WSM to do cold smoking by ducting smoke to an external smokebox.

I have the pellet version. I have only ever lit one end because my intent has been to get an extended cold smoke with it, and lighting at both ends sort of defeats that purpose.

I have instead been thinking about modifying my WSM to do cold smoking by ducting smoke to an external smokebox.

Yeah, I'm doing something like that for my offset this weekend hopefully. Have a 14 lb belly ready for cold smoke. Planning on 24 hours of smoke, 3 x 8 hr sessions.

My thoughts were to do the same. get some dryer ducting going from the top of my wsm to where the offset box on my combo gas/charcoal would mount up its offset that I never bought.

Fwiw I also have a masterbuilt electric. Anyone bother trying to keep theirs clean? I've given up... My window gets gunked so fast. I obviously clean my grates and such, drop pan, etc, but Ive stopped trying to keep it in a cleaner state.

Considering smoking some ribs this weekend. Havent done that in forever

Ctufano,

I hear you. I clean my grates and drip pan also. I can manage to make the window usable by scrubbing it with the green steel wool pads, but absolutely forget the whole inside. I clean the probe, it's wire and the wood chip pan and that's it.

:)

1883F3FD-0879-4AB1-B996-A91C11EB1137_zpsvf2xdmsd.jpg

Ok so this will never be smoked, but it's my first shot at a dry cured bresaola. ~2.5lbs eye of round in the vac bag with kosher salt, #2 cure, thyme, rosemary and black pepper for the next two weeks then drying in an Umai Dry bag for a couple months. Probably ready for some nice early May weather on the deck, along with a new Gose...��

Just put a small bone-in shoulder on the smoker. My wife got me an igrill2 for V-day. Anyone have experience with them? I have one probe monitoring the inside temp of the WSM and one probe in the shoulder. Also have my thermoworks probes set up to compare.

3 large trout fillets and back bacon going in smoker in the am tomorrow, too cold today as its -20 c most likely turn tomorrow into a brewing/smoker day :)

Currently +16°F and snowing...most definitely NOT a day to be smoking anything out there!

glenn514:mug:

Just put a small bone-in shoulder on the smoker. My wife got me an igrill2 for V-day. Anyone have experience with them? I have one probe monitoring the inside temp of the WSM and one probe in the shoulder. Also have my thermoworks probes set up to compare.

I love mine. However, get the ambient probe. There IS something different about them. I got one with two meat probes, used one for grill temp, third time I used it it was telling me that the 75* outside temp was 475*. They sent me a new one(great customer service) but told me to get ambient probe. Not had problem one since.
Range is a little short, but I can still be inside watching the game. Plaster walls are more likely the culprit.
Enjoy! Getting you that for V-Day, you gots a keeper there!!

Latest posts

Back