Who's smoking meat this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pork Butt starting tonight. I figure I can get a load of smoke on there and let it go overnight, then the kid can start mopping tomorrow morning and it should be done sometimes tomorrow. Taking up north for a friendly gathering.

Nice work Homercidal. I think a buddy and I are going to do a Boston this weekend as well. May also spatchcock a chicken and throw that on the grill for munchies. They're both so much fun to do and the result is delicious. Just like brewing.

Cheers and have fun.

Pork Butt starting tonight. I figure I can get a load of smoke on there and let it go overnight, then the kid can start mopping tomorrow morning and it should be done sometimes tomorrow. Taking up north for a friendly gathering.

I like that idea!!!

Gonna do a pork butt. Simple rub of some sort and get it going tonight. Hoping to hit 190/195 tomorrow morning sometime then wrap it up in foil and some heavy towels and let it continue to cook and start the rest. Early dinner with the family.

Set up the smoker yesterday right after work at about 4:00. Got two loads of chips in before going to bed. Woke up to a tender butt at 160º this morning. I wrapped tightly in foil and then a kitchen towel. Will pull it at lunch if I can.

14 hour cook with a 2 hour rest. Some vinegar sauce and it's a great start to the weekend.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1405698876.587389.jpg

Smoked Pastrami a few weeks back! Corned beef for 5-7 days, then soaked in water to pull some of the salt back out of it for 24 hours. Smoked it for 4 hours open then wrapped in foil for another hour or so. Then I let cool down and rest over night in fridge. Then sliced and steamed for my Sandwich (Pastrami, Texas toast, mayo, and coleslaw). Came out amazing!! got the recipe off amazingribs.com , awesome site!

photo.jpg

Smoked Pastrami a few weeks back! Corned beef for 5-7 days, then soaked in water to pull some of the salt back out of it for 24 hours. Smoked it for 4 hours open then wrapped in foil for another hour or so. Then I let cool down and rest over night in fridge. Then sliced and steamed for my Sandwich (Pastrami, Texas toast, mayo, and coleslaw). Came out amazing!! got the recipe off amazingribs.com , awesome site!

Would you care to post the recipe for pastrami..ive never corned beef but absolutely enjoy a reuben. The store bought corned beef sucks. Is this a doable process for the uninitiated?

I cured some pork side meat over the past week. After curing I sprinkled the main slab lightly with pepper, one small slab heavily with pepper, and one with pepper and dark brown sugar

I smoked it with pecan until 145*F internal which ended up being about 7 hours @ ~160*F.

We like thick sliced bacon

and there you have it. Bacon!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I cured some pork side meat over the past week. After curing I sprinkled the main slab lightly with pepper, one small slab heavily with pepper, and one with pepper and dark brown sugar

I smoked it with pecan until 145*F internal which ended up being about 7 hours @ ~160*F.

We like thick sliced bacon

and there you have it. Bacon!

Gosh darn it. That's floccing amazing, man.

I can't even begin to compare to that awesome looking bacon, but I prepped these to go in tomorrow around lunch for dinner. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1405736913.005263.jpg

I'm camping at a campground with some family. I brought my smoker for the first time. I have a pork butt, whole chicken, fattie and Dutch's beans smoking now.

I started the pork this morning and added the others later. Using apple for flavor.

1405808255814.jpg

Smoked up a bunch of wings and ABTs today while killing time during a chili cookoff (I finished 2nd :)). ABTs were gone as quick as I could cook em.

img_20140719_135803_541-63376.jpg

^cut the backbone out and lay it flat - also known as spathcock chicken.

personally, i think beer can chicken is a gimmick

i cook it at about 380* on the pellet grill - takes close to 1.5 hours or until skin is golden and crispy

thread.... thread... this is a homebrewing forum

Nothin goes better with homebrew than homemade eats. I often brew and cook simultaneously but I cook a lot more than I brew. It's a natural.

i cook it at about 380* on the pellet grill - takes close to 1.5 hours or until skin is golden and crispy

That's an idea. Always wanted to try that. Thanks!

yessir. if you've never cooked a chicken this way, you're in for a treat. i do em' like this all the time now. makes great leftovers - sammiches, tacos etc

Here's one i did recently - i love that crispy skin (throw your favorite seasoning/rub on in it)

20jlpoz.jpg

yessir. if you've never cooked a chicken this way, you're in for a treat. i do em' like this all the time now. makes great leftovers - sammiches, tacos etc

Here's one i did recently - i love that crispy skin (throw your favorite seasoning/rub on in it)

20jlpoz.jpg

Yep. Cooks quicker, cooks evenly, and remains incredibly juicy without needing a brine. Doubt I'll even roast/smoke a chicken any other way ever again. Want to do a turkey this way soon as well.

Agree with everything here.

If you would like to cook the bird whole, without spatchcocking, brine it prior to the cook - in advance.

Good luck. Beer can chicken is a gimmick.

I like to take cold butter with the rub mixed and then separate the skin from the meat and stuff some butter mixture underneath skin wherever possible. Typically I remove the skin at the end of the cook since I don't grill to crisp.
Only way to cook a whole chicken on a grate.

Back