Who's ordered from Hops Direct??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Everyone responding is missing the point. I'm not being "ungrateful" or unappreciative of the price.

And I'm also not being impatient. I wouldn't care if the hops took 3 months to get here if that is what I was told when I placed the order over the phone.

My entire point is I was told my order would be filled within 2 days and it took 7 just to get it to UPS. I wasn't told 5-7 days and then another 7 to have them delivered.

That's all. I'm really not being a complaining prick here. I'm just saying I wish they had told me they were so backed up because I wouldn't have gotten pumped for my bulk hops to arrive:p That's all.

And it looks like the guy that posted above me ordered the same day and his was shipped out 3-4 days earlier than mine, so I guess I have a little bit of a beef here.

Again, I'm not ripping on Hops Direct. I'm sure I'll use them from now on. I was just expecting them to arrive when they told me they would (or even within a few days of when they told me). :)

If they told you it would take only 2 days (where as I was told 5-7), then I think you have a legitimate gripe. I can't tell you why my order shipped before yours.

I would just email them and tell them you were a little disappointed in the delivery time. Maybe they will give you some credit on your next purchase.

You won't care in 3-5 days after you get your hops :)
Hell you probably won't use them for 3 or so days after you get them (just speculation :) )

Patience is a virtue. Most homebrewers should atleast know about patience. Just give the delivery people time to deliver that precious cargo to your door and in the mean time work on your recipes for those outstanding beers your gonna make with those low priced hops. Sheesh!

When I ordered in early October, they did tell me they were in the process of pelletizing the new crop and that my order would wait to ship after they had the new crop ready. I waited about ten days total, but I also got some really fresh 2009 hop pellets.

Sure I would have preferred some instant gratification, but in retrospect, I'm glad they waited rather then just send me last years batch.

I placed my order on 29Oct, the confirmation email stated 2-3 business days to ship. I got my UPS notification yesterday afternoon and my 10lbs will be delivered on thurs 5Nov. They met their commentment and will gladly do business with them again.:ban:

I experienced the same dissatisfaction the first time I ordered from them and after a week I emailed them. The fine lady apologized and I received them shortly thereafter. All was quickly forgotten when I found I'd received more than I ordered.

Fast forward to last month. It took them right at two weeks for me to get my hops but I knew in advance that they're a little slow and also that it was harvest time.

HH1, enjoy your hops when you receive them and it’s to bad you had to learn this reality in such a manner. :)

I just placed an order for a pound each of Cascade, US Goldings, and UK Fuggles pellets. With shipping it will clock in at just under $40 (I called to check). This will be the perfect compliment to the 50lb of Colorado 2-row that will be coming next week. Smilin' Bob don't have nothing on me right now.

Just an update. My hops came and I'm thrilled. I'm way over the fact that it took longer than they said to get here. It was worth the wait and now I know that they tend to take a little longer to package than they tell you.

I will be ordering from them from now on.

Received my first 4lb shipment today. I can confidently say that I will buy from them again. My closest LHBS is a health food store and at $2.50-$4.00 per oz for undated vac-paks, I think I'm taking the right route.

Another 5lbs arrived yesterday, and I LOVE hopsdirect, home of the 18- to 21-oz pound!

If you are a west coast IPA fan, buying by the pound (or more) at a place like hops direct IS the way to go. 5-16 oz. per 5 gallon batch could cost a small fortune if you don't go that way.

OTOH, if you only make beers with only 1 oz. of hops or so, and not that often, it might not make sense....

FYI I got the following order from them today:

2lb Cascade Hops $8.75ea
1lb Saaz Hops $9.75ea
1lb Willamette Hops $6.75ea

Shipping to my surprise was only $8.43 to TN, the package said 6lb so I probably have some heavy pounds. Really nice packing too.

All in all $.66 an ounce, almost a fifth of what I was paying. Makes IPA's not so damn painful.

FYI I got the following order from them today:

2lb Cascade Hops $8.75ea
1lb Saaz Hops $9.75ea
1lb Willamette Hops $6.75ea

Shipping to my surprise was only $8.43 to TN, the package said 6lb so I probably have some heavy pounds. Really nice packing too.

All in all $.66 an ounce, almost a fifth of what I was paying. Makes IPA's not so damn painful.

I just wanna know, how is it sooo much more expensive to ship to California from Washington???

2lb = $9.50 shipping. W. T. F.

Although I'm still excited.

I just wanna know, how is it sooo much more expensive to ship to California from Washington???

2lb = $9.50 shipping. W. T. F.

Although I'm still excited.

Maybe it was just the smaller order? My last order for 9 lbs worked out to just under $2 per ordered pound (leaving out the packing materials and the fact they overpack their whole hops bags).

Edit: that was also during the summer and peak gas prices. I'm hoping my 26lb order that's getting placed in a few weeks doesn't run me $50 to ship

Shipping depends on time of year (christmas time is expensive) where it is going (downtown areas/cities are more expensive) and weight (the more the weight, the cheaper it is per lbs)

I assure you, hopsdirect is giving you actual shipping prices. If you doubt it, check UPS or FedEx online and see. I can't remember who they use.

A 2 lbs package to LA is about $9 UPS. That is now, a week or three ago would be more.

Shipping depends on time of year (christmas time is expensive) where it is going (downtown areas/cities are more expensive) and weight (the more the weight, the cheaper it is per lbs)

I assure you, hopsdirect is giving you actual shipping prices. If you doubt it, check UPS or FedEx online and see. I can't remember who they use.

A 2 lbs package to LA is about $9 UPS. That is now, a week or three ago would be more.

I don't doubt it at all. It was more of a comment really.

My two lbs each ended up having 1.5 oz extra. I think that is awesome. at the LHBS that would cost me about $7.50. Thanks Puterbaugh Farms!

Just ordered a # of Cascade and a # of Tettnanger pellets and it came out to $19! Wow. I can't believe I've been wasting so much money at my LHBS.

Well.... It's not "wasting". Chances are you bought those two pounds at a cheaper price than the LHBS did. HopsDirect is a farm and I doubt the LHBS is buying directly from the farm. They buy from a packager/middleman like LD Carlson and then have to put their markup to keep the lights and heat on.

HopsDirect is a great deal but I'll still buy hops from the LHBS because normally I don't want a whole pound of any one type. I already have 6 lbs in the freezer from the last few bulk buys.. :(

are all domestic pellets now new crop?

on the full leaf page they denote new crop for each hop. on the main site it says "new crop pellets available", but it doesn't denote.....

are all domestic pellets now new crop?

on the full leaf page they denote new crop for each hop. on the main site it says "new crop pellets available", but it doesn't denote.....

I just ordered from them. The domestic pellets and leaf stock are from the 2009 crop. The imports are from 2008. Seeing as they supply many of the LHBS you will be getting the 2008 crop from your LHBS as well. Shipping to the Raleigh NC area for 3 lbs was $11.35

Someone may have posted something similar to this, but I did the work so I might as well share. Below is a link to a google spreadsheet I built to help coordinate group buys from HopsDirect. Google docs is a really cool way to coordinate things like this, because once you've invited someone, they can edit in their own amounts, reducing the burden on the organizer.

This spreadsheet is read-only, so google users will need to save a copy before they can drop in names and such. You can grant edit access to people who don't have google (which worked well in our case) but to my knowledge the "owner" of the spreadsheet needs a google account.

The prices on the spreadsheet are up-to-date as of Monday. The shipping column is estimated at $2 per ordered pound. That's what my last order cost to ship from oregon to northern california. If you've done a buy from them before or you're just further away, you may choose to edit that formula.

As a final note, everything on this spreadsheet are whole leaf hops, not pellets.

Anyway, feel free to use it. If you have any comments, suggestions, etc let me know.

Hops Direct Google Spreadsheet

Edit: Another cool thing about the access controls is that you can change user rights after the fact. In this buy, I set all the previous "editor" level permissions back to "view". This allowed me to manually reconcile all partial pounds and give people a chance to do a final review of their order without having things get changed on me. Also, the spreadsheet has an option to email everyone who has access rights to view it, making it really easy to send out notifications and status updates to your group buy participants.

shipping 4 lbs of pellets to Aurora IL was $8.27. My order came to $.77 an ounce

I will probably have extra ounces of the following: Cascade, Chinook, Columbus, Fuggles, Magnum, Saaz and Willamette.

If you, or anyone in the western burbs, is interested in trading a few ounces let me know. I'm interested in Amarillo, Centennial, Strippelspalt, Hallertau, Northern Brewer or Tettnanger

I will probably have extra ounces of the following: Cascade, Chinook, Columbus, Fuggles, Magnum, Saaz and Willamette.

If you, or anyone in the western burbs, is interested in trading a few ounces let me know. I'm interested in Amarillo, Centennial, Strippelspalt, Hallertau, Northern Brewer or Tettnanger

I just ordered some Hersbrucker, and I'm interested in some cascade and/or fuggles. unfortunately, i'm about 2 hours north of you..

I'm a little frustrated by the incredible slowness. I placed an order on Monday morning, it shipped Friday afternoon. I chose "UPS Ground", which is generally about 5 days shipping time. My package has a 10 day ship time apparently from Washington to NC. Sure, that's cross country, but it's taken it five freakin' days so far just to go from Washington to Minnesota.

Their site says allow 2-3 days for an order to be shipped, but Monday morning to Friday afternoon is pushing it.

Where else can you buy hops online? Either that, or what kind can be used to replace Warrior and Simcoe hops?

In some of my upcoming brews I've replace Simcoe with Chinook and Warrior with Columbus.

They may not be accurate but I think it's suitable for my purposes.

I'm a little frustrated by the incredible slowness. I placed an order on Monday morning, it shipped Friday afternoon. I chose "UPS Ground", which is generally about 5 days shipping time. My package has a 10 day ship time apparently from Washington to NC. Sure, that's cross country, but it's taken it five freakin' days so far just to go from Washington to Minnesota.

Their site says allow 2-3 days for an order to be shipped, but Monday morning to Friday afternoon is pushing it.

yeah, i agree. i'm now gonna have to spend over $6 for 3oz of hops when I have a pound of them in transit, so I can brew this weekend.

google nikobrew. I ordered 2009 apollo, amarillo, Summit, Simcoe, and Warrior in 1 lb amts. I brewed with the amarillo, simcoe, and warrior last weekend and I'm very pleased so far. Shipping was a flat $5. I ordered on Sunday night, it shipped Tuesday and I got them before friday. It may have not been the cheapest place but they had in 1 lb increments all the hops I was looking to order at the same time. The price was 1.76 an oz with shipping for 5 lbs. They also sell in 5, 11, and bulk as well.

Back