Who's brewing 20 Jan?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david_42

Reaction score
With Groqit finally selling, I'm getting back to the good stuff. BBQ yesterday and a batch of Bent Rod Rye today. Doing it a little different, NB for the main bittering hop and cutting the IBU to 32. 54 was a bit much for a 4.4 ABV session ale.

Mashed in at 152F solid.

david_42 said:
With Groqit finally selling, I'm getting back to the good stuff. BBQ yesterday and a batch of Bent Rod Rye today. Doing it a little different, NB for the main bittering hop and cutting the IBU to 32. 54 was a bit much for a 4.4 ABV session ale.

Mashed in at 152F solid.

I'm working up a Stout today if I can get my chiller and mash tun constructed... I'm still working PG but I move more towards AG every time I brew. I just got a larger kettle and I know this bad boy won't fit in the sink for an ice bath so my brewing world is changing slightly.

Brew Day: McCellar's Stout
On Deck: Mirror Pond Clone

That looks like a nice recipe. I have some malted rye I need to use up. Any ideas how to include some malted rye in that recipe? I won't be brewing today though, strictly consuming - beer, food, football.:)

Today is Maibock time for me. And it's darn cold out there. My starch test solution actuall froze (it's just iodophor and water). I doubt that I will have problems getting to pitching temp for this one.

Kai

Bottled 2 batches today- a porter and a wheat. Brewing a mild and "brewing" my first Apfelwein next weekend.

Just finished my SMaSH beer, now it's football time.

I did 20lbs Rahr 2 row and 3oz Williamette hops 2 pkgs US-05

E gads, SB, that's one heckuva brew! Would definitely be near the edge of my capacity!

I'm currently sparging a stout, a la O'Flannagain's recipe. Of course, I totally managed to forget the flaked barley until I was about to sparge the first time, so it quickly became a decoction mash as I added the grain and desperately tried to raise the temp back up to 156 :p. I let that mash for another 45 minutes; well see where my efficiency is later :p.

Nasty batch! I was planning on Amarillo for flavor and Fuggle for aroma. My last two ounces of Amarillo were moldy and I seem to be out of Fuggle. So, Perle & Nugget. Haven't used Nugget for aroma in quite a while, but I didn't want to use one of the Cs.

Ran low on propane, but managed to finish the batch without having to switch tanks.

Only got 72% efficiency, 1.042. Ok for a session ale. Nottingham yeast.

Need to brew more, I'm getting out of practice.

On a happy note, the lite ale I made with some wild hops is quite good. Fermented down to 1.002. I think it was Fuggle, but no one seems to know.

I Brewed my first all grain batch today. I brewed a spin off of EdWort's Haus Pale Ale.

I had some obstacles to overcome. First off, my 2 year old daughter got a hold of my hydrometer and ended up smashing it into bits, so I won't be able to find out my efficiency. Also, my strike water was too hot and resulted in a mash temp of 158. I left the lid off to cool it down to reasonable temp and took about a half hour to get to 155. Hopefully it turns out ok.

On a good note, I had my older brother over and showed him the ropes on home brewing, so hopefully we'll have another member in the near future.

Brewed a batch of my pale ale today, the first time I've tried it as an all-grain recipe. Everything went smoothly, I nailed all the temperatures and the OG of 1.052 (75% efficiency) as well. I need to come up with a better way of keeping cold break material out of the fermenter, but overall I'm pretty happy with my brewing techniques, even as they continue to evolve.

While mashing, I also managed to keg my previous two batches, and rebuilt another keg to boot. A very productive day for the hobby. :D

Back