Whoops too much sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jota

Reaction score
Hey guys, I am bottling for the first time and my girlfriend noticed i was using a tablespoon of sugar as opposed to a teaspoon. Um, what exactly is going to happen? Will they blow up? Taste sugary? Or kill me when i drink it :p

I think you'd better be careful with those! You just used 3 to 6 times the recommended amount of priming sugar per bottle. The best course of action is to carefully pour them all back into a fermenter (no aeration), let it finish fermenting, then bottle with the correct amount of sugar. Another possible course of action is to let them sit for about 3-4 days, then open all of them and re-cap. Of course, the second method is just a WAG, and should be done with care.

If you leave them alone, it's quite possible that you'll have bottle bombs on your hands. At a minimum, put them someplace where glass shards and spilled beer won't hurt anything, and cover them with something to contain the carnage.

jota said:
Hey guys, I am bottling for the first time and my girlfriend noticed i was using a tablespoon of sugar as opposed to a teaspoon. Um, what exactly is going to happen? Will they blow up? Taste sugary? Or kill me when i drink it :p

Yes, yes, and definitely yes:cross:

they are glass grolsch bottles i got off of someone. when you say leave them out what do you mean? leave them like this then uncap in 3 days then recap? i already am using the fermenter for my second batch

if i move them to plastic bottles will they be less liekly to explode?

jota said:
leave them like this then uncap in 3 days then recap?
Yup, that's pretty much exactly what I mean. Since they're flip tops, you can vent them every day until they stop hissing when you flip the tops. If they go completely flat, re-prime appropriately. Chances are, you'll wind up with drinkable beer without doing anything but venting the bottles.

I'm with Yuri...vent them after 4 days. it might only take one venting to balance things out.

your situation is why I prime the whole batch at once in the bottling bucket...so I don't get inconsistent levels of carbonation, and its only 1 point in time that I can screw up and mis-measure.

well they didn't blow up! i only had to open them up for two days. i had transfered them to big plastic bottles so i could tell if they were too hard with c02. it had a slightly cidery after taste, but it was definitely drinkable. First brew was a success!

Back