Whole hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aryiman

Reaction score
How do you all add whole hops to the wort addition? Do you use a hop bag or just put them right in like you do with pellets? I would think a hop bag would be a lot less messy.

I never use hops bags, I just throw them in. If it's a recipe with a ton of hops, I will strain going into the fermenter. Otherwise, I don't worry about it.

I never use hops bags, I just throw them in. If it's a recipe with a ton of hops, I will strain going into the fermenter. Otherwise, I don't worry about it.

This. You have to be careful with hop bags because they can settle on the bottom of the BK during the boil and scorch.

hop bags are a lot less messy, so to speak. I used hop bags for the longest time for every brew and still do for big ipa's, but recently have just been tossing the hops in when for porters, stouts, etc.

Wow fast responses. Thanks everyone, it looks like I will just be tossing them in.

Wow fast responses. Thanks everyone, it looks like I will just be tossing them in.

I use a hop bag. Soooooooooooooooo much easier then straining them out of boiling wort.

I have a bazooka screen on the inside of my boil kettle, which makes for an effective whole hop filter.

Oh i see. I guess not everyone uses a counterflow.

I use an immersion chiller. I cool the wort, then pour into primary. If there are tons of hops and cold/hot break, sometimes I whirlpool and siphon. You don't want to pour hot wort, no matter what kind of chiller you use. You risk hot side aeration (maybe a myth, though) as well as an injury!

Actually, I'm a weakling. I'll usually siphon the first 1/2 of the wort, then pour the rest into the primary. If I want to strain, I use a sanitized colander over the primary. Usually, unless there are tons of hops, I just pour it in.

Oh i see. I guess not everyone uses a counterflow.

Immersion chiller here w/ a submersible pond pump to recirculate ice water- and I can even get down to lagering pitching temps easily, despite the fact that I only brew ales. This set up is wicked efficient too.

Back