Who online offers double crushing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigmike99

Reaction score
Ok I've searched and read through a bunch of threads here but haven't been able to come up with it. I have a couple of local spots but in case I wanted to order online who does a good crush or offers double crush for BIAB???

I don't know, but I think some of them (AHS, Northern Brewer) will do a fine crush upon request. You can enter a note in comments when you place your order. If no one else knows, you can probably email the place and ask before ordering.

Northern brew will not double crush... however it is fine enough that I get ~70% efficiency

AHS & midwest don't double mill either. I have asked for a fine crush when ever I order, but it always comes the same (I BIAB as well). However the grains from AHS are pretty fine and I get really good results every time.

Thanks for the help. Checked out adventures in homebrewing and they do it. Quick to email back and prices looked good too.

You can ask for a double crush in the comments section of a Brewmasters Warehouse order. You can also store your recipe there for future orders, which is handy.

Thanks again for the help. Placed an order with aih and I'm getting the order tomorrow. First time using them but they've been top notch responding to my requests.

If ordering from AHB it seems that they crush assuming you will obtain about 68% efficency with their standard crush by my calculations. Since purchasing a mill I am getting 82 to 83 percent efficiency through batch sparging. Whereas I was about 70% pre mill. So to make a long story shorter, I don't know that you need a double crush to hit OG with the generous grain bill in their kits. If you are formulating your own recipes I apologize as this post is irrevelant.

Edit-sorry or irrelevant, missed BIAB.
Would a cheap corona mill be good for BIAB?

You can ask for a double crush in the comments section of a Brewmasters Warehouse order. You can also store your recipe there for future orders, which is handy.

If ordering from AHB it seems that they crush assuming you will obtain about 68% efficency with their standard crush by my calculations. Since purchasing a mill I am getting 82 to 83 percent efficiency through batch sparging. Whereas I was about 70% pre mill. So to make a long story shorter, I don't know that you need a double crush to hit OG with the generous grain bill in their kits. If you are formulating your own recipes I apologize as this post is irrevelant.

Edit-sorry or irrelevant, missed BIAB.
Would a cheap corona mill be good for BIAB?

Any mill is good for BIAB, or any brewing. The ability to set your gap, or double crush, and the convenience/freshness of crushing on brewday is worth a cheap mill. Then you'll upgrade, and buy base grains in bulk. DAMHIKT....

I hit 70% with midwest's single crush. Consistent and good enough for me, but as someone pointed out, they will double if asked

Bumping an old thread in case anyone else here is looking. Got a kit from Austin HB and asked for double milling and it was the best I've gotten. Also had a few other things shipped here and everything seemed really top notch.

It's true! That's my LHBS those guys are great! I brew 1 gallon batches and they are very accommodating.

Back