Who makes the best beer in the world?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1. Midwest USA (Surly, Bell's, Town Hall, and many more)
2. Western USA (Rogue, Stone, etc)
3. Belgium
4. England
5. Germany

US for the diverse range of tastes that you get. Germany for the the technical quality of the beer. Having brewed enough beer at home I realize that although I love hops, they can surely cover a multitude of brewing mistakes.

US for the diverse range of tastes that you get. Germany for the the technical quality of the beer. Having brewed enough beer at home I realize that although I love hops, they can surely cover a multitude of brewing mistakes.

West coast is hop heavy no doubt, but covering taste with hops? Around here you cover mistakes by making a Stout.

Anyone separating the USA into different parts SUCKS.

This was a blatant opportunity to all be lumped together, you impotent doodybags.

What happened to go USA?

Anyone that says that ALL good beers only come from one part of the country needs an education.

I'm going to provide a list with the disclaimer that I've actually only had beer from the US (and Canada, but I think we can all agree that there is not valid reason include Canada in this thread.)

US
Germany
Belgium
UK

Now for the reasoning. US because my experience, plus the information that I get from doing a lot of reading about beer, leads me to believe that practically ANY style of beer in the world can be found right here. This includes many of the "Belgian Style" beers that would have previously made Belgium top of the list.

Germany, because even though they don't have the variety of flavors that can be found in the US and Belgium, they make German beers excellently.

Belgium, again for their diversity. They are not afraid to try different things and there are breweries over there imitating the over-the-top styles created in America.

Lastly, the UK. I don't think they have the variety of the US and Belgium, but their beer culture is still very high and they have their own distinctive styles. Unfortunately, there seems to be a trend of a few major brewers replacing lots of smaller brewers and thus limiting the craft aspect.

So US first, then Germany and Belgium practically tied for second and thirdly UK with styles that I tend to like and the "Pub" attitude that I wish we had more of here.

The OP was asking "country-wise" who make makes the best beer. Not the the suburban section of some metro area in the US.

US is #1 because of the vast variety of beer made here from coast to coast.

I don't know why Europeans have a problem with "old world" techniques. The old style beer are great too. One of my favorites is a Belgian trappist. How many centuries has that been brewed?
To me Belgium, Ireland and Germany bring in a stout, no pun intended, 2nd.
:mug:

We DRINK the most beer here in Wisconsin.

Bars vs. Grocery stores.
Wiscomap.jpg

Huh. Looks like Akron & Toledo,OH have more bars than grocery stores. We had a ton of bars in this area for decades,now they're finally building other things. Just too bad they're banks & even more resturants & gas plazas.

Definitely NOT ,Midwest

Last time I checked Minnesota was part of the mid-west. And last time I checked Surly was still brewing out of Minnesota. And last time I checked, Surly makes amazing beers. You might want to take that comment back Mikey!!! :mad::mad::mad:

blueballsbrewer said:
Last time I checked Minnesota was part of the mid-west. And last time I checked Surly was still brewing out of Minnesota. And last time I checked, Surly makes amazing beers. You might want to take that comment back Mikey!!! :mad::mad::mad:

He was referring to another post which got way out of hand a few days back. It's worth your time if you can find the thread.

blueballsbrewer said:

You do a lot of checking, are you an accountant? ;)

Mike, due to the fact that most people will not go back and read more than 1-2 pages, it seems like the , Midwest joke is going to cause a "problem" anytime we mention it. Let's hold off until this hits page 10 then test out my theory.

phenry said:
Uh, wat.

Have you ever tried Boulevard or Schlafly?

If Boulevard makes bad beer then I guess I really have a thing for bad beer.

I agree that Boulevard makes outstanding beers. They are right up there with some of my favorites. While on the subject of MO brews, O'Fallon makes pretty decent brews also.

I'm also sorry to say, Phenry, that the worst Denny's I have ever been to was in Rolla. Not that Denny's is gourmet but this one is especially bad!

Ok you guys are killin me with the inside joke , Midwest thing, wtf? There is no , Midwest is there?

And for the record, Colorado is the mecca.

Back to OP:
USA!
Belgium
Germany

Edit: oh ok

Oh, there's a ,Midwest, and the beers that come from there are terrible, fruit-filled, and taste like gun powder. ,Midwest specializes in weizen beers, and lies.

So to stay on topic, my favorite beers come from the US. I like german beers, brits, and belgians as well, but the US turns out more beers that I like.

Mike, due to the fact that most people will not go back and read more than 1-2 pages, it seems like the , Midwest joke is going to cause a "problem" anytime we mention it. Let's hold off until this hits page 10 then test out my theory.

Cause problems? You guys get "confused" responses. I got a half-page long chew-out by Revvy (who, by the way, was part of the , Midwest thread).

I don't care, though. It's still funny.

Oh, there's a ,Midwest, and the beers that come from there are terrible, fruit-filled, and taste like gun powder. ,Midwest specializes in weizen beers, and lies.

I couldn't help but notice that there have been no more posts since the 'outing'. Interesting...

So to stay on topic, my favorite beers come from the US. I like german beers, brits, and belgians as well, but the US turns out more beers that I like.

Agreed, I think its hard to argue with the sheer volume, variety and quality of beers that the US is cranking out right now

You know, the US is number one, no doubt, but there is some seriously good beer made by our neighbors to the north. Even their BMC is better than ours--Molson, Labatt 50, good stuff comparatively. But then you add in some of the good craft stuff? Like Unibroue? Those are some quality beers.

Yeah, i'm going to have to add Canada to my list.

Even though the US is kicking out some killer beers, I would still have to go with Belgium. Westvleteren 12, Rochefort 10 and St Bernardus Abt 12 are hard to beat

You know, the US is number one, no doubt, but there is some seriously good beer made by our neighbors to the north. Even their BMC is better than ours--Molson, Labatt 50, good stuff comparatively. But then you add in some of the good craft stuff? Like Unibroue? Those are some quality beers.

Yeah, i'm going to have to add Canada to my list.

:off:Damn.....nice avatar dude!

Thank you. Gotta keep the boomstick handy in case any of these primitive screwheads start eyeing my beer.

Shop smart, shop S-mart.

Drinking some Fullers right now, you have to appreciate the complex flavors that come out of some the most basic malt bills. This ESB is so good.

Belgium
US
UK

Back