Who makes custom kettles with TC port ON BOTTOM?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andrhamm

Reaction score
I put out requests for quotes to a few homebrew kettle makers asking if they can do custom kettles with a 1.5" TC ferrule welded to the BOTTOM of the kettle. Responses have been slow or not at all, so I'm hoping somebody can point me to a retailer that definitely does this.

Basically all the kettles out there have more ports than I want, so I'm asking for JUST 1 port on bottom of the kettle and one near the top. This will be used for my electronically controlled RIMS-heated mash tun, so I don't need thermowells, and I don't want a sight glass.

Also don't care about tri-clad bottom since I'm not using propane.

If anybody has had a custom kettle made with a TC bottom drain, I'd love to know where you got it made, and a picture would be nice too!

For wanting something a bit custom, and not with a ton of bells and whistles, I personally would recommend buying the "plain jane" kettle of your choosing in the desired size, and then find a shop to weld in the fittings in the exact location you want. You can expect to pay about $60-80 and hour for someone certified to TIG stainless, and two fittings should really not exceed an hour-- definitely no more than 2. Going this route will get you exactly what you desire and at a much better price too.

Personally, I would suggest buying a Concord Pot off of eBay or Amazon in the size you want, and have the ports added to these pots. I personally went this route and was very pleased with the pots and the results.

Good luck.

:mug:

Thanks for the advice. I am away from home for 12hours a day and have a newborn so I don't think I could coordinate engaging a local welder for something like this. I'm not super keen on the idea of soldered outlets... I know, I've seen your solder test video Bobby and it would probably be fine but I want the peace of mind that welds would give me.

-- -

I've confirmed that the following places won't add TC bottom outlets to custom orders:

Spike Brewing (due to tri-clad bottom)
Brewers Hardware
Bru Gear (Where I got my BK and didn't have a great experience, continues to not have much interest in customer service for homebrewers)

---
I'm contacting Colorado Brewing Systems but I've heard they have awful turnaround times. We'll see. I like the simplicity and price point of their kettles.

If all else fails I'll probably end up going with the Stout Tanks 9 Gallon Mash Tun with Bottom outlet. I contacted them to ask if they can customize it and omit the temp port and change the location of the recirc port but at this point I'm not holding my breath on that. It's also pretty pricy, but I wouldn't have to design and build a stand for it because that is built in.

http://conical-fermenter.com/9-Gallon-Mash-Tun.html

If you are dead set on sanitary tig welds, you are almost certainly going to need to talk to a local welder. Most of the brew shops are going to be sourcing their kettles with the primary fittings already welded on, then adding additional ports as requested. That's why almost all of the Stout kettles show the same two or three ports.

Honestly, coordinating the welding shop is not going to be that hard. You can have the pot and fittings drop shipped to the shop and then pick up the finished product on the way home.

You haven't mentioned a desire to match (aesthetically) the rest of your brew stand. At the prices you're talking about, you could afford to have a nice symmetrical system. This is just my opinion, but I feel like once you get into wanting welded fittings you might as well match up your kit.

I had Sabco weld custom TC kegs for me about 10 years ago, before all this newfangled stuff came to market. Today, I'd probably buy a kettle and pick up either weldless or solder fitting from Bobby M.

p.d.

Also not interested in weldless, just want welded TC ports. I got a really great quote from Colorado Brewing Systems so I'm pursuing more details from them. Sounds like at least a 3 week turnaround since a blank kettle would have to be ordered from their manufacturer in order to do the customizations and not have a tri-clad bottom.

Back