White Wine Fermentation Temp?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sacandagabrewing

Reaction score
Hello All! So I currently have a white wine about to start. The yeast says that the minimum temperature is 59 but the room I wanna ferment in is like 55. Should I move to a warmer place or will I be okay with the extra heat provided by the fermentation? I know that you wanna keep it as low as possible but I dont want the yeast to drop out. All help appreciated

Well first thought is a 24 C ambient room temp is what I would prefer to start up, also shore up the bottom of vessel with two 2x2 strips parallel 5" apart that will allow even temp at the bottom of vessel. Even using a portable heater in center of room will help kick start the yeast, depending on brix and yeast after a week it should be cranking enough to wrap a blanket around the vessel. That will assist in proper ferm.

I like to ferment my whites and fruity wines at a low temperature, but it might be tough to start it at 55 if you don’t have the yeast strain for it. You could try it, and make sure to add enough yeast (more than usual) and that should help.

Back