White ring at the bottom?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seanwallner

Reaction score
Im 10 days into belgian wit ferment and have noticed a very distinct ring about 2 inches tall at the bottom of my bucket. It appears bright white through the white bucket. Have never noticed this on any other batch. It was an all grain with quite a bit of additions. orange peel, coriander,ect. gonna take a sample tonight at see how it looks, tastes, fg ect. Any thoughts. thanks CHEERS, SW

I just noticed that as well on my first wit. I assumed it was fine, and actually thing it might be orange rind.

I just noticed that as well on my first wit. I assumed it was fine, and actually thing it might be orange rind.[/QUOC

Could be. I did drop the whole zest in the boil without a bag? Hope its ok. Smells awsome!!!!!

I dont use bags either. I dropped the zest of 5 oranges in the boild, and dumped it trub and all. But im not worried about it, just noticed it and ignored it.

Sampled tonight. Tastes great. No worries. Are you going to dry hop yours. I'm thinking some more fresh oranges in the primary for a week

Belgian wit yeasts are usually pretty darn active and I'd bet you're just seeing the yeast cake + trub. Plus wheats have more proteins typically and will therefore end up with more trub from boil and flocculation.

yep, it's flocculation stuff. no worries. i love wits, and see that all the time. dry-hopping a wit, though? if you want to, enjoy :D

Back