New Brewer San Diego, CA / Lansing, MI

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beaujack

Reaction score
Hello,

My name is Kyle and I have long wanted to start my own fermentation process. Currently I live in a 1200 sq ft apartment so my process is limited to 1 gallon car boys and buckets. If I enjoy the process I plan on scaling up when I move back home to East Lansing Michigan, where I'll have more of an automated larger scale process in my bull barn (assuming I purchase a home w/ one or build one). I have a million and one questions or will throughout my process of brewing. I'm 30 years old and currently active in the USN with a year until I get the oh so cherished DD-214.

After quite a bit of research prior to starting my first batch I decided to go with what I'm calling more of a fall mead. Instead of water I went with an "Orange and Spice" black tea as a base. I added zested, and squeezed orange (to avoid the white bitters of the orange peel), 1 Clove, and 1 Stick of cinnamon. I started the brew on 12JUN22 and I'm writing this on 02JUL22. Today I noticed my bubbler is no longer bubbling, which I'm assuming based off my research means that my brew is for the most part done fermenting. (haven't taken the gravity readings just yet).

Anyways this is my experience so far. I'm always stressed that I didn't clean/sanitize good enough!

If anyone is looking to take a newbie under their guiding wing, I'm looking for a mentor! If there are any discord pages for brewing please send them my way as well! Thank you for accepting me into the group, and I look forward to working w/ some of y'all in the future!

Welcome to the community! Alot of knowledge around these parts! Don't be afraid to ask questions!

I had a couple buddies stationed in SD both out now but enjoyed their time there!

Good luck!

Welcome to our humble abode.
First, don't stress too much, chances are pretty good your sanitation was sufficient so long as you didn't wash everything with sewer water. That was my biggest fear when I first started too.
However your mead will more than likely have enough alcohol in there now to keep most every infectant at bay. The yeast will have also out competed everyone else by now too. One thing to watch out for now is oxidation. Keep you Airlock topped off, and keep your headspace to a minimum.

You would be correct in assuming that fermentation is complete with the airlock staying still. Leave it be until it's mostly clear then rack it to a secondary for aging. Right before the coveted DD214, bottle it and let it age out for as long as your patience will allow. I've found 3 years after pitching yeast is the sweet spot. But you could imbibe anytime you see fit, it helps get to know your process and your own aging times.

BTW, thanks for the service, squid. I was a marine and no I haven't made any crayon meads....yet

Welcome to our humble abode.
First, don't stress too much, chances are pretty good your sanitation was sufficient so long as you didn't wash everything with sewer water. That was my biggest fear when I first started too.
However your mead will more than likely have enough alcohol in there now to keep most every infectant at bay. The yeast will have also out competed everyone else by now too. One thing to watch out for now is oxidation. Keep you Airlock topped off, and keep your headspace to a minimum.

You would be correct in assuming that fermentation is complete with the airlock staying still. Leave it be until it's mostly clear then rack it to a secondary for aging. Right before the coveted DD214, bottle it and let it age out for as long as your patience will allow. I've found 3 years after pitching yeast is the sweet spot. But you could imbibe anytime you see fit, it helps get to know your process and your own aging times.

BTW, thanks for the service, squid. I was a marine and no I haven't made any crayon meads....yet
Thank you, and let’s make a crayon style mead lol

Whatever you do after you separate take advantage of the benefits. GI Bill is an absolute gem and there are A LOT of other very helpful resources/programs. You’ve earned then!

Back