White Labs yeast question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaydog2314

Reaction score
Brewing a batch Friday using White Labs for the first time, been brewing a little over a year but have only used Wyeast or dry yeast.

I'm well versed on starters and I am making one, my question is if there is any special procedure/technique to using White Labs vial?

For Wyeast I've smacked the pack and given it 3-4 hours on the counter before pitching it into my starter.

Do I need to just take the vial out and pitch it? Should I let it get to room temperature before pitching into the starter?

Thanks, I've tried searching but can't seem to find the answer.

Don't know if this is correct or not. I have always let them come up to room temperature before pitching into my starter.

crack the tube open like you're opening a 2 liter of coke that someone dropped on the floor. So just lightly twist you'll hear co2 escape, wait, then twist a little bit more, repeat until no co2 escapes. This way you'll get to keep all of your yeast.

Yeah be slightly careful when you open it, I've opened too quick before and had a bit of yeast sprayed in my face.

Back