White Labs Clarity Ferm - Thoughts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

canofworms

Reaction score
Decided to try out Clarity Ferm in my last 10 gal batch.

http://www.whitelabs.com/other-products/wln4000-clarity-ferm-brewers-clarex

1 x 10ml vial in each carboy. Still fermenting away at this point. Curious in getting any of your thoughts on this product regarding Chill haze reduction, gluten reduction (not that I personally give a :rolleyes:) and feelings on adding sodium benzoate, if even at well below FDA approved levels, to your beer. I always enjoy trying things first hand, hence this test, but would be thrilled to get any other input.

I use it in ever batch I brew. Really helps clarify my beers. And I don't filter or cold crash (unless you count kegging as cold crashing). My wife is also allergic to wheat (has been since she was 2) so this is great cuz it allows her to drink with me. So that's a bonus

I should clarify my :rolleyes: on gluten intolerance, I know it's a real issue for some however I live in LA where the same person you ate pizza with last weekend is suddenly gluten intolerant this weekend. :)

I should clarify my :rolleyes: on gluten intolerance, I know it's a real issue for some however I live in LA where the same person you ate pizza with last weekend is suddenly gluten intolerant this weekend. :)

No I totally understand. I live in San Diego so I definitely get that. My wife gets so pissed when people do it for the "health benefit". I know you didn't mean anything by it. I was just pointing out its a nice bonus. I'd still use clarity ferm even if my wife wasnt allergic to wheat

No I totally understand. I live in San Diego so I definitely get that. My wife gets so pissed when people do it for the "health benefit". I know you didn't mean anything by it. I was just pointing out its a nice bonus. I'd still use clarity ferm even if my wife wasnt allergic to wheat

Yep, you clearly know where I'm coming from :) Your take is very much why I tried it. If it can lead to clearer beer and easier on folk with a wheat allergy without jacking with flavor or other harmful side effects why not.

San Diego... you don't work for white labs do you ;)

Yep, you clearly know where I'm coming from :) Your take is very much why I tried it. If it can lead to clearer beer and easier on folk with a wheat allergy without jacking with flavor or other harmful side effects why not.

San Diego... you don't work for white labs do you ;)

I wish! Ha! The homebrew club Im a part of meets at white labs though. Does that count? :D

I've used it a couple of times for chill haze and it worked pretty good. I don't think it clears yeast so you might want to fine with gelatin too. Some yeasts just need time to clear no matter what you throw at them. I'm looking at you WY1007.

Used it a couple times since my SIL is gluten intolerant and she likes our beers. Problem is that it's $6 CAD per vial up here in Canada.

I think I'm going to order a 1L jug of it. Seems a lot more cost effective, and then I'm set for a year or two :)

Back