Clarity ferm (for gluten reduction) on High Gravity beers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pepindavid

Reaction score
I was wondering if someone tried brewing a High gravity beer (say, north of 1.080) with Clarity ferm for gluten reduction purposes?

I've had great success with Clarity ferm with all the beers I tried (all below 1.065): my celiac girlfriend and her celiac mother were both able to drink 1-2 of the beers in one session without any reaction.

I'm planning to brew a Russian Imperial Stout next. I haven't laid out my recipe yet, but I expect it to have an OG around 1.090. Because of my setup that can't accomodate huge grain bills, I'll probably shoot for a 2.5 gallon batch.

I'm wondering if a full vial of Clarity ferm would do the trick?

A brewery I frequent uses clarity ferm in all their beers (one of the owners has celiac) and they have had some bigger beers around 10%. They do send their beers off to be tested for gluten. They don't push the gluten reduced in their marketing. I would make sure those that might have a reaction start slow.

We use brewer's clarex instead of clarity ferm and they do suggest a higher dosage on higher gravity beers. But if you are limiting your wheat to almost none or none I wouldn't worry about it. 1 small vial treats 7 gallons, so I wouldn't worry about it, you should be good. But a good rule of thumb when you are attempting a new recipe is for those who are celiac or gluten intolerance to have just 1-2 the first time then go from there.

Thanks! I'm going to give it a shot! I'll first ask them if they are interested in drinking some anyways (my girlfriend is usually not too fond of very strong beers, but her mother may be). If they won't drink it, I won't bother, but if they are interested, it will be a nice experiment.

Back