Need some help investigating, needing a chemist, and an analytical mind

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

born2dive9702

Reaction score
Hello all

For those who know me, know that I am on possibly an impossible endeavor. However I feel i am close to solving a challenge but I would like some constructive help.

I am working out the formula for diet pepsi, I have gotten very close my wife cant tell the difference. But in my OCD perfectionism wont let it go.

The area I need help with is the following in the US version of diet pepsi.
1 amount of phosphoric acid
2. amount of citric acid
3. and emulsifier
4 sodium content

Now here is what I have.
On the ingredient ingredient list of diet pepsi, there is nothing listed with sodium. I contacted Pepsi and they sent an email back with this statement.

"The sodium found in Diet Pepsi comes from a combination of naturally occurring sodium in the filtered water as well as Potassium Benzoate, which is the potassium salt of benzoic acid."

Now I know that they are allowed to not to mention Naturally occuring sodium by the EPA and FDA rules as it is often occures in the form of sodium hydroxide or sodium hypoclorite (bleach) which is in most water treated from a water treatment plant. but the EPA limits it to 20mg per litre and there is over 120mg of sodium per liter in pepsi.

And there is no ingredient added to the diet pepsi to add the extra sodium.
Now here is the other point of interest
They would not disclose the source of sodium but here is my thought process.

I calculated the amount of phosphorus to the phosphoric acid value, and they amount of phosphoric acid if using all the phosphorus amount on the nutritional information would put the Ph of diet pepsi up to 2.3ph WITHOUT the addition of the citric acid.

Ignoring the citric acid for the moment, I have calculated that to obtain the proper ph of diet pepsi without a buffer such as sodium citrate (which would have to be listed if present) at about 1/2 of the amount stated. so about 30mg of phosphorus rather than the stated 60mg

This brings me to the next question, The lack of emulsifer, Gum arabic has not been used for the past 20 years or so.

So just a recap, there is no sodium citrate
There is no sodium ingredients
the phosphoric acid amount in relation to the ph is 30mg leaving 30 mg of phosphorus un accounted for
the lack of an emulsifier

Now here is what I was if they used Sodium hydroxide (which does not have to be disclosed) and they allow this to react with the 30mg of phosphorus in the form of phosphoric acid which is listed, this would form a saponifier of Trisodium Phosphate which is an emulsifier and binder for the oils.

I am thinking that this combined with the citric acid would create a good emulsion (soap if you will) this would use the existing ingredients, and would fall within the statments of Pepsi.

They stated that any ingredient used would have to be labeled on the ingredients list under federal law. hence if you look at the pepsi web page for diet pepsi the ingredients are as follows;
CARBONATED WATER, CARAMEL COLOR, ASPARTAME, PHOSPHORIC ACID, POTASSIUM BENZOATE (PRESERVES FRESHNESS), CAFFEINE, CITRIC ACID, NATURAL FLAVOR, ACESULFAME POTASSIUM

There is no mention of an emulsifer, hence my extrapolation of the Tri Sodium Phosphate which is a GRAS ingredient by the FDA and USDA .

Does anyone know how much citric acid is used in diet pepsi?? I have attempted to investigate titration of citric acid, while this works well on clear soft drinks that do not have phosphoric acid, I believe that the results will be skewed because they are using NaOH Sodium hydroxide which when it comes in contact with citric acid, will form sodium citrate, which can be measured in clear soft drinks, but at the same time, will form Tri Sodium Phosphate when it comes in contact with phosphoric acid. which will skew the results, correct??

What are your thoughts?

Does anyone know how much citric acid is used in diet pepsi?
What are the thoughts about the missing emulsifier
What are your thoughts on the missing sodium ingredients
What are your thoughts on the excessive amount of phosphorus / phosphoric acid??

I am very close to getting an exact match on what the current diet pepsi is, I am just looking for the "Emulsifier" My friend also confirms that the pepsi corporations in the states have sold off their gum arabic emulsifier high pressure systems when he left pepsi about 15 years ago.

So let me know what you think, I am looking for critical contemplation and responses. If you have any other ideas about the emulsifer please let me know.

Sincerely
Brad

Back